• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The River

sunspot said:
Based on the flight chart it seems that the River would be a good complement to the Teebird, is it?

i think it has too much glide for a fairway driver.

I'm finally getting to resume my River testing. Here's a little history...I originally tested a 173 Opto that had a little too much turn and fade for my tastes, making it tough for me to control. I then tested a 175 white GL that was TB stable. At the time we did not have any heavier Optos or other heavier GL runs for me to test, so I kind of forgot about the River.

A couple months ago I lost my seasoned QJLS...unfortunately all my backups were too stable to work lines. I've gone without a fwy driver since, trying to push my mids and power down my PDs. I'm getting to the point where I miss a slower driver again...Here's the thing though...I don't want to add multiple discs. I just want one disc that I can work on multiple lines. This brought the River back to mind. We've been restocked at CDGS, and I had many different Rivers to choose from. In particular that had some orange GLs that looked exactly like my Fuse, which has become one of my most beloved (and $$ earning) discs. I grabbed an orange 175g and started to deflash it immediately.

I played a few holes with the River and then I took it to the field. This disc has the potential to be the disc I'm looking for. It was much straighter all around than the Opto I've tested. Any turning was very gradual. It also seemed slower in the air, which I liked a lot. It is still just a touch more stable than I want it to be, but I'm sure that will change shortly. It does fly strangely like my Fuse of the same plastic did when it was new in terms of flightpath and glide. This orange GL is domey, but not crazy like some of the Optos. It feels really great in the hand, especially deflashed. I'll be giving it a thorough testing over the coming weeks.

discspeed said:
BTW, anyone still throwing these?

put them down and picked the leopard back up. leopard is straighter for me. still too much fade at the end of the rivers flight

I still throw the River some. I like it for fairway drives where I'm standing still when throwing. For tee shots where I want a decent turn, there's a battle brewing between my Rivers and my TDs. For how I'm throwing now, on flat throws, the TDs are winning because they seem to hold the turn longer. The Rivers sometimes come back just a little bit more than I want. On hyzer flips though, the TD doesn't seem to want to turn after flipping flat, whereas the River does. Lately I've had more consistency issues with the River than when I first started throwing them. But I think that is simply just a problem with me, not the discs. There may be enough room in my bag for both though instead of just having different weights of Rivers like I had before.

I love Rivers, thrown them since they first came out. At the current time, since slowing down the bag and becoming more Ion and Fuse dominant, the River is now the longest disc I carry along with the dx tbs and valk. I bag a 160g opto and 164 gl.

I'm a year and a half into the sport, and fighting for better form. I like being able to throw them the same way I would throw my gl Fuse from a hyzer release when going for distance....but for much longer distances.

discspeed said:
I'm finally getting to resume my River testing. Here's a little history...I originally tested a 173 Opto that had a little too much turn and fade for my tastes, making it tough for me to control. I then tested a 175 white GL that was TB stable. At the time we did not have any heavier Optos or other heavier GL runs for me to test, so I kind of forgot about the River.

A couple months ago I lost my seasoned QJLS...unfortunately all my backups were too stable to work lines. I've gone without a fwy driver since, trying to push my mids and power down my PDs. I'm getting to the point where I miss a slower driver again...Here's the thing though...I don't want to add multiple discs. I just want one disc that I can work on multiple lines. This brought the River back to mind. We've been restocked at CDGS, and I had many different Rivers to choose from. In particular that had some orange GLs that looked exactly like my Fuse, which has become one of my most beloved (and $$ earning) discs. I grabbed an orange 175g and started to deflash it immediately.

I played a few holes with the River and then I took it to the field. This disc has the potential to be the disc I'm looking for. It was much straighter all around than the Opto I've tested. Any turning was very gradual. It also seemed slower in the air, which I liked a lot. It is still just a touch more stable than I want it to be, but I'm sure that will change shortly. It does fly strangely like my Fuse of the same plastic did when it was new in terms of flightpath and glide. This orange GL is domey, but not crazy like some of the Optos. It feels really great in the hand, especially deflashed. I'll be giving it a thorough testing over the coming weeks.

I know you are a far more experienced and skilled player than I am (just prefacing what I'm about to say b/c it could be just me) and even to me it was apparent that the Fuse and the River have a lot in common. I think it flies a lot like a Valk does, but slower and with more glide. I think when you give a River enough power properly, it loses just enough of its low speed stability and ends up flying similar a Fuse does when you air it out.

turso said:
Rivers foreva man, FOREVA!

Exactly. They made this disc for us guys... FOR US. We whined and we received, and I for one was not let down.

Jeronimo said:
turso said:
Rivers foreva man, FOREVA!

Exactly. They made this disc for us guys... FOR US. We whined and we received, and I for one was not let down.

I can't believe how different this new GL River feels from the Optos I've thrown. I remember that first Opto that you gave me flying like a Sidewinder...and just as long. It wanted to turn pretty hard out of my hand, but would still fade quite a bit at the end. It was very long, but hard to work slow lines with. It seemed really fast for it's rim width. The GL I have now seems slow and methodical, much more midrange-like than the Opto. I think the Opto plastic shrinks more than the GL, and this is what causes the poppy dome. It also makes the wings a little smaller/sharper. The GL feels bigger in the hand and slower in the air...It is also a lot straighter. Hopefully I get some more throws with it today.

discspeed said:
The GL I have now seems slow and methodical, much more midrange-like than the Opto.

wait until you hit some stuff. my opto is bulletproof compared to the gl. the gl rim chunks and cuts a lot easier and soon the gl was quite a bit more understable than the opto. it really reminds me of a valk now.

i do like rivers. i just think they're a little long for a fairway driver.

bill said:
discspeed said:
The GL I have now seems slow and methodical, much more midrange-like than the Opto.

wait until you hit some stuff. my opto is bulletproof compared to the gl. the gl rim chunks and cuts a lot easier and soon the gl was quite a bit more understable than the opto. it really reminds me of a valk now.

i do like rivers. i just think they're a little long for a fairway driver.

I've got a Fuse in that same plastic that has a fingernail sized gouge on the rim, so I know what to expect. I like how that plastic breaks in flightwise. I also have a new Opto 175 to test out. Perhaps I will like that better than the 173 I threw before.

As far as being long for fairway drivers...I'm fine with that as long as the distance is coming from glide rather than speed. I find glide easier to power down on than speed. I throw my mids comfortably to around 340', so I want a longer fairway driver that can be thrown slower and glide more than my PDs. I have found that most slow to average range fairway drivers end up overlapping my mids too much.

My way of compensating for the Rivers desire to "glide long" is just to throw lower to the ground.

Jeronimo said:
My way of compensating for the Rivers desire to "glide long" is just to throw lower to the ground.

Where I play low ceiling flight is paramount. This is why I didn't like discs like the Stalker, Cyclone, and Leopard...They all needed more height than I had and was constantly flirting with low ceilings.

I am glad there are some other River throwers still having success with them. I absolutely love this disc. You really can throw any shot with it. Big anny turnovers or hyzerflip right to left bomb glide shots are no problem. I have only been playing a little over a year and a half, but from my experience the "slow and methodical" flight of the gl seems accurate. Sometimes its funny when you realize how far its gone. I myself throw low lines as well playing in Maine, and my GL handles them like a champ. My only issue is trying to find backups, haha. I have a 162 Orange one that I would really love to find a bunch of 163-165 orange ones to back it up since its the only one I Have atm, but Lat keeps shipping over heavier stuff from what I have seen.

Side question, does anybody have experience with the orange ones and what colors might also fly similarly in case I can find the lighter weights in another color? Thanks!

weedjj said:
I am glad there are some other River throwers still having success with them. I absolutely love this disc. You really can throw any shot with it. Big anny turnovers or hyzerflip right to left bomb glide shots are no problem. I have only been playing a little over a year and a half, but from my experience the "slow and methodical" flight of the gl seems accurate. Sometimes its funny when you realize how far its gone. I myself throw low lines as well playing in Maine, and my GL handles them like a champ. My only issue is trying to find backups, haha. I have a 162 Orange one that I would really love to find a bunch of 163-165 orange ones to back it up since its the only one I Have atm, but Lat keeps shipping over heavier stuff from what I have seen.

Side question, does anybody have experience with the orange ones and what colors might also fly similarly in case I can find the lighter weights in another color? Thanks!

I would give any blue one a try and they seem to be consistenly made in lighter weights. Most of my lighter Rivers in the 160's are blue gl, and they fly the same as the one orange one I have.