• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The River

jgheels1999 said:
Even though I've been throwing these discs since they first came out, I'm finding them more and more impressive on the lower lines. I don't have much distance since my form is in construction (max D river 350-380ft on flat grass ) but that 320-350 range on low lines is my favorite shot with this disc. Hyzer flip to flat, mild turn right, tiny fade at the end, and they just always end up parking.

Exactly the same lines I throw with them as well. They are absolutely a thing of beauty on low lines. I honestly don't know how anybody can throw something else in this slot. It's just an amazing disc.

On a side note, does Lat make any lighter weight ones anymore? I have been looking for some 162-165 orange GL ones to backup my only disc for like 4 months at every disc golf website I know of and can't find hardly anything beneath 169 at all, and if it is, it's white. I love my orange one and heard the blue ones are good too, so would consider one of those as long as I could get the appropriate weights.

weedjj said:
jgheels1999 said:
Even though I've been throwing these discs since they first came out, I'm finding them more and more impressive on the lower lines. I don't have much distance since my form is in construction (max D river 350-380ft on flat grass ) but that 320-350 range on low lines is my favorite shot with this disc. Hyzer flip to flat, mild turn right, tiny fade at the end, and they just always end up parking.

Exactly the same lines I throw with them as well. They are absolutely a thing of beauty on low lines. I honestly don't know how anybody can throw something else in this slot. It's just an amazing disc.

On a side note, does Lat make any lighter weight ones anymore? I have been looking for some 162-165 orange GL ones to backup my only disc for like 4 months at every disc golf website I know of and can't find hardly anything beneath 169 at all, and if it is, it's white. I love my orange one and heard the blue ones are good too, so would consider one of those as long as I could get the appropriate weights.

I've gotten a blue 159 and 164 goldline from DGC, and a sweet opaque 161 blue opto at Marshallstreet before. The lighter weight blue ones are money, and I've seen upper 160's goldline orange ones before as well. I just check constantly, I bought the 164 within the last month and a half so I would be on the lookout when they restock.

Opaque 161 opto River
IMAG0750.jpg

The River is REALLY surprising me in terms of how far it can go. It is straight up replacing my PPDs because it goes just as far for me, but at the same time it's easier to power down on because it's slower with more glide. It's fitting very nicely in my bag.

This is the first driver that when I am on the course I am excited to throw. I can hit all the lines that I need to with this disc. The only problem that I have encountered is when the wind picks up. Just doesnt do well in a headwind if you pop it up a little to much. Striker fixed that problem for me. The River is the first driver I reach for now. Results for me have been great better control more distance. I dont have the arm for distance drivers but this disc allows me to keep up do to its great glide.

discspeed said:
The River is REALLY surprising me in terms of how far it can go. It is straight up replacing my PPDs because it goes just as far for me, but at the same time it's easier to power down on because it's slower with more glide. It's fitting very nicely in my bag.

What do you do on the same lines when the winds pick up? P PD is at an advantage then.

JR said:
discspeed said:

What do you do on the same lines when the winds pick up? P PD is at an advantage then.

I'd be throwing a seasoned SPD(yellow champstar). I've never been able to really trust PPDs in wind.

6046214076_cee2341e6e_z.jpg

Can't wait to throw one of these! I think I'll put a 170 Opto in my bag and see what happens.

The River has been a strange disc to learn, but I'm starting to really like it. This afternoon I ripped it dead straight 420' on a tight 520' hole with a mild tailwind. I landed nicely on the fairway as other peoples' distance drivers stalled and faded off with the tailwind. It only looked about 380' to me, but when I walked up to my disc it was even with the short pin @420'. I was impressed that it carried like that, but I wondered if it was a bit of a fluke since I haven't tried to get that kind of D of the tee with my River before. Anyway it turned out that I had to play off for money and start on that same hole. I did the exact same throw for the exact same distance.

So not only is the River as long as my PDs, it's actually a little longer in calm or tailwind conditions. Strangely I've also been using it on all kinds of fairway driver shots and it doesn't act too differently thrown soft than it does when I mash it. It is definitely my least speed sensitive driver. I still don't feel like I really know this disc well and I'm sure it still has some surprises in store for me, but I'm digging it. I've never had a disc that slow go so far.

I have 2 Optos at 172 that fly pretty stable and and are easy to toss for great distance. I decided to pick up a color shift River at 179 to try out. Its not nearly as stable as my two optos. First few tosses flipped over and burned. I started to get the disc under control but its not very consistant. I was pretty suprised at the amount of difference between the two plastic types. Maybe its just a fluke how flippy the disc was. My problem is that I am not sure I want to order more if its a crap shoot on what you get flight wise.

discspeed said:
The River has been a strange disc to learn, but I'm starting to really like it. This afternoon I ripped it dead straight 420' on a tight 520' hole with a mild tailwind. I landed nicely on the fairway as other peoples' distance drivers stalled and faded off with the tailwind. It only looked about 380' to me, but when I walked up to my disc it was even with the short pin @420'. I was impressed that it carried like that, but I wondered if it was a bit of a fluke since I haven't tried to get that kind of D of the tee with my River before. Anyway it turned out that I had to play off for money and start on that same hole. I did the exact same throw for the exact same distance.

So not only is the River as long as my PDs, it's actually a little longer in calm or tailwind conditions. Strangely I've also been using it on all kinds of fairway driver shots and it doesn't act too differently thrown soft than it does when I mash it. It is definitely my least speed sensitive driver. I still don't feel like I really know this disc well and I'm sure it still has some surprises in store for me, but I'm digging it. I've never had a disc that slow go so far.

Its length is shocking especially when you come from the mindset of the River being a Leopard competitor as I did for a long time. Its really a speed 6-7 with potential speed 9-11 range. Only the beauty of it is that its not compromised as a fairway disc in order to do those things. I can't get the Valk/Fuse hybrid out of my mind when playing with this disc.

I'm sure only those who like it MIGHT agree with this haha but IMHO, its the biggest breakthrough disc outside of the Ion considering what it can do and how it does it with seemingly ordinary dimensions. I don't know how the hell Latitude made this thing, b/c it is just weird what this disc really is. Not everyone loves the glide, so I can understand some not wanting to bag a disc like it, but its a great disc for me.

I had a chance to pick one of these up at a tourney yesterday, an Opto or GL (identical dome/PLH) both at 176. I've been wanting to throw one, but I neglected to get either because of how heavy they were. I didn't want to have to crush it to get anything good out of it. My drivers are Eagle X/Valkyrie/OLF, and I'm not really looking to replace any of these molds. I've read that the River does some Valkyrie-like things. Would having both be overkill?

jgheels1999 said:
Its length is shocking especially when you come from the mindset of the River being a Leopard competitor as I did for a long time. Its really a speed 6-7 with potential speed 9-11 range. Only the beauty of it is that its not compromised as a fairway disc in order to do those things. I can't get the Valk/Fuse hybrid out of my mind when playing with this disc.

I'm sure only those who like it MIGHT agree with this haha but IMHO, its the biggest breakthrough disc outside of the Ion considering what it can do and how it does it with seemingly ordinary dimensions. I don't know how the hell Latitude made this thing, b/c it is just weird what this disc really is. Not everyone loves the glide, so I can understand some not wanting to bag a disc like it, but its a great disc for me.

Valk/Fuse hybrid is an awesome description, especially since my GL Rivers are the same exact plastic as my Fuses (orange). I've already hoarded 5-6 identical backups to avoid consistency issues. I agree too that this is a breakthrough disc...I've said before that it would have broken the distance record as it stood before the Valk came along had it been released back then. I don't know how Lat64 makes pretty conventional looking designs fly so well. In fact, Lat64 discs are the only ones I've brought to MVP and said "figure out how they did this and use it in future designs".

I have found that the lightning blue or whatever blue GL's are exactly the same as they were right when rivers came out, lost one today again so gotta get some more...I do love this disc sooo much.

@discspeed
What did you use to deflash the rivers? The flash is annoyingly not at the very bottom of the rim and it's turned outward so it's pretty hard to gouge out without harming the rim itself, or at least I have that problem.

turso said:
@discspeed
What did you use to deflash the rivers? The flash is annoyingly not at the very bottom of the rim and it's turned outward so it's pretty hard to gouge out without harming the rim itself, or at least I have that problem.

I don't ever use a blade. I take a towel (usually microfiber, but any will do) and fold it in half a couple of times, then take it to the flash like I'm playing speed metal on guitar. It comes right off without any chance of effing the disc up. Opto is a PITA, but I find the GL flash comes off much easier.

This is a disc i definitely need to revisit. I have a blue Opto don't remember the weight from close to the introduction of the disc. It faded harder and earlier than Leo but after noticing form flaws and trying to correct them (not anywhere near finished) i set new personal bests in distance with FW drivers. So it is definitely interesting to see how my River flies now. How would one get a more HSS and less LSS River than early Opto Blue? I seem to recall that the weight mine was in in blue color was less HSS and more LSS than most Rivers when the mold was new. According to those who had thrown more River variants. I think mine was like 169 but can't say for sure without weighing it. Stickers and moisture plus wind...

Leo in calm conditions line drive record 370', rear wind 400'. For me those are nice improvements and it begs the test out of a River to see what happens now. Fading out earlier and dropping for me needs a more wind resistant disc and i have a heavy SEX on the way. Because my 166 SEX wasn't reliable in all winds on all throws at that power. Unfortunately for me those distances are max field session distances. On course D suffers from not being so warmed up and usually not in the zone for max D generation power and form wise. It is another thing to throw for hours in a field than single shots every now and then on the course.

I can't speak to that ^^^^, but I just got a pink 170 Opto River that is one of the straightest discs I've ever thrown for fwy diistance when thrown flat/slight hyzer.

Latest posts