• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

Cool Innova strikes again. Oh what happened to the days where you could buy whatever when ever for cheap. Our club got like 20 or more proto star stamped boss', sold them for 15$ a pop. Meh guess i wont try anything new... I have enough of what i throw already

They'll be stock stamped in stores for glory days prices soon enough. Just some pre-release hype magic to get people stirred up for when that happens.

Went into one of my local establishments and they didn't know that Thunderbirds were even available. I directed them to the dealer announcement page to show them what was up. Looks like they'll be placing an order for some champs and gstar birds tonight, and a few of each are going to get stashed away for me when they come in. Sweet!

I'm getting one tomorrow along with 2 other new releases. G line FD, and Glow Champ Archon.
I see the TB as bring a faster Thief, or Faster Teebird. I'm actually really excited about this Jolly Rancher Plastic. I do a review of how it flies. Personally I'm hoping for a Saint Pro feel with less fade.

If the thunderbird is what mcbeth threw on that hole you could have told me it was a PD and I would have believed you...

If the thunderbird is what mcbeth threw on that hole you could have told me it was a PD and I would have believed you...

He already said that the Thunderbird kicked the PD out of his bag, and based on the color and stamp its probably the bright orange one on the left of the picture he posted on Instagram (of all the misprint protostamps). Pretty much everyone that has tried one, and the reviews by places like All Things Disc Golf, all say its pretty much a straighter PD. The Champ is like a seasoned C-Line PD and the GStar has less fade and a little more turn than the G-Line PD. There would be considerable overlap if you were to have the PD and Thunderbird in the bag, unless you had a really beefy C-Line PD, a seasoned Champ Thunderbird and a GStar Thunderbird to beat in for the straight to turnover slot. I already have a really beefy C-Line PD, so I just need to grab the Thunderbirds to fill the other spots.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I am new to the collecting scene and trying to get started. Where do you find these discs to get them before they start showing up on dollar disc golf and places like that? I would just like to be able to find them sooner rather then after the jacked up prices.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I am new to the collecting scene and trying to get started. Where do you find these discs to get them before they start showing up on dollar disc golf and places like that? I would just like to be able to find them sooner rather then after the jacked up prices.

Retailers are limited to 25 each, and many will take preorders or presales. Ask the stores in your area when they'll get them. Your best shot is being at a brick-and-mortar store when they come in.

Retailers are limited to 25 each, and many will take preorders or presales. Ask the stores in your area when they'll get them. Your best shot is being at a brick-and-mortar store when they come in.
Thanks for the advice

If you watch McFly's coverage of the RFDO (third round, following McBeth) you can see him throw the Thunderbird on one of the holes. Pin high on a 433ft Par 3 and the thing is pretty much straight as an arrow for most of its flight. I think it was Hole 14, about 23 minutes in. I know not a lot of people aren't going to crush it out there like McBeast, but it should give you a good idea of its flight.

How is this legal? I thought discs had to be on the market for 30 days before you can use them in competition. Or is it 30 days after approval? Or am i just making this up?

How is this legal? I thought discs had to be on the market for 30 days before you can use them in competition. Or is it 30 days after approval? Or am i just making this up?

I think it's 30 days after approval and on sale to the public.

Apparently the 30 days is only for Worlds.
PDGA Specs said:
All discs permitted for use in a PDGA World Championship must have been formally approved and
available in retail outlets at least 30 calendar days prior to the event

There have to be 500 commercially available also.

Last edited:
Apparently the 30 days is only for Worlds.

There have to be 500 commercially available also.

If you count the Asia Open ones, there were 500 discs available (and sold) prior to him using it in the tournament. Also, it was approved August 5th, 2014 and the tournament started on September 5th, 2014, so it had been approved for 31 days.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know how I feel about it. I think it's a great mold, but I don't know how it fits in my bag. Plus, I don't like the glow champion. From what I here the Thunderbirds gonna mainly release in G* too. Not a fan of G*

Latest posts