• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I picked up a couple CFR champ Thunderbirds this weekend. I've given them both a few tosses, and they're pretty nice. The handfeel fits right in with PDs and my 1.2 QOLF.

One of them is dead stable and fits between my seasoned SPD and CPD. Straight with a strong fade even into a moderate wind.

The other has some turn but then BOOM - late fade. I haven't compared PLH on the two, but I would really like more like it. I'm afraid that this is probably a freak.

How have the Thunderbirds been seasoning for you? Losing fade or gaining turn?

I've thrown several and they range in stability between the two you described. I wouldn't say the one that has a bit of high speed turn is a freak.

Still just miiiiiild high speed turn and a nice fade, not hard, but smooth.

And I just hit one of my best drives on Hole 7 at BRP with it. Down a pipe of trees, but theres a pond up ahead and it held straight the whole way and sat down and ended up on the footpath right of the pond....like 5 more feet and it would be gone. It was a great drive for that particular hole....sadly, did not hit the eagle 2.

another another new mold that doesnt excite me in the least and i love speed 9-10 discs .. sounds like an Orc, FL, Viking, PD, Olf etc. .. but it will sell so yeah woo hoo innova :eek: :eek: :\

I have been toying with a blue champion thunderbird for the last two weeks and i must say.. I'm impressed. I have been waiting on a Legacy mold to pair with my Bandits.. well one slower then the Outlaw.. and this disc fit in perfectly! Damn thing is so predictable and surprisingly i can chuck it out there pretty far.. cant imagine how sweet one would be once its seasons in a bit but so far so good.. if you have been on the fence about a champ thunderbird i wouldnt hesitate!

:doh:

My champ Thunderbirds are only 4 months old and seem to be losing a little bit of fade. I don't really use them in the woods, so they have not hit many trees for extra seasoning!!

I am still in love with the star Bowling greens I got. One has been in the bag since I got it. Despite looking pretty worn, it is holding more stable than my last champ was when new.

Anyone else loving the star thunderbirds? These are as overstable as my glow thunderbird but I really like the slightly softer flight plate. Not gummy just not super stiff. Hoping these will beat in to dead straight flyers with a nice fade at the end.

Still just miiiiiild high speed turn and a nice fade, not hard, but smooth.

And I just hit one of my best drives on Hole 7 at BRP with it. Down a pipe of trees, but theres a pond up ahead and it held straight the whole way and sat down and ended up on the footpath right of the pond....like 5 more feet and it would be gone. It was a great drive for that particular hole....sadly, did not hit the eagle 2.

That would be a wicked eagle dude! haha, like a 150-200' put. No biggie!

Can someone explain to me how the Thunderbird is different from the Starfire, other than the cooler name?

Narrower, more concave bottom wing, more uniformly curved dome from rim to rim, more dome overall. The starfire is definitely more stable and less glidey than the thunderbird.

I agree, less glide and slightly different fade. The hand feel is a lot different between the two IMO as well.

I agree, less glide and slightly different fade. The hand feel is a lot different between the two IMO as well.

I would agree on this...recently been testing out the Thunderbird, but am a long time thrower of the Starfire. I think these disc could compliment each other in the bag

What plastics are people liking these in? Gstar, jl, glow, metal flake? I'm gonna order some for my fundraiser but didn't know what blend people are digging the most.

JL and your newer players wil like the straighter gstar

I'll have to disagree with this one. My Gstars and glows are my most stable with star and JL a bit straighter. My Gstars fight the wind the best out of all of them too. They have a little less HSS but more fade at the end. My favorite by far with star coming a close second. Really liking the glows and how they are breaking in too.

The new blue plastic that the Sexton FBs are in.
That **** is awesome!

I have NEVER been a glow fan, but I'm super stoked about the new color stuff. I'd like a Destoryer, Teebird, and Roc(3) please

Word. The color glow stuff is the business. Softish for a champ type plastic and really pretty. Ive got a teebird in it that is just too pretty to throw

I just grabbed a 168g JL Thunderbird the other day to see how it would be in comparison to my 175g JL. As expected it has a tad more turn but that fade is still really healthy.