• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Understable speed 9 drivers.

Grippenripp

* Ace Member *
I recently lost my Hatchet (not really that mad about it) at first it was an okay line shaper but quickly became good for only rollers. So I'm looking for an understable driver to shape shots with that preferably isn't so damn touchy. Should I find another
-2/2 disc or find a -1/2 -1/3 rated disc and beat it into a line shaper? Thanks in advance for your input.

If you like the Hatchet fee but want some more stability the Stag is antouch slower, but I can grow them just as far.

Also maybe a Z Heat or Champ Valk could work for this.

I like the Falchion, or even take a look at the new Maverick for a understable driver. Z Heat is also an excellent choice for max distance at a slower arm speed, thing glides for days.

If you're looking for understable, but not so touchy that it turns and burns so easily, I love the Discmania CD2 and the Innova Valkryie. Both easy to hyzerflip, keep dead straight for tunnel shots, line shape and trust not to flip over into an accidental throwller. I bagged CD2s for the last couple years until I had some more seasoned PDs and Thunderbirds. Now, for understable, I throw a TD. Hyzerflips, turnovers, tunnels. Mostly TD shots. For slightly understable, I have a nice seasoned 164g S-PD. If I lose that seasoned PD, it's back to my stockpile of CD2s.

PS: Unless as I'm seeing most of this thread go, you want to stick with Trilogy for some reason.

What kind of shot shaping exactly are you intending for this? I feel like understable 9 speed drivers can be a little tricky or touchy for "shot shaping" lines.

I use my Relay as a shot shaper but it's likely way slower and has way less glide than you're looking for. But it's user friendly, won't turn into a roller unless you're throwing on anny or overtorquing severely.

I've only thrown an underworld in one session but it was crazy fun to throw and goes far - great glide. I would use it as a hyzer flip disc and you'll likely get good distance with it if that's what you're after...

But if I'm looking at a tight hairy line that I need touch on, Relay would be my choice even if I'm sacrificing a little distance against a very glidey speed 9 understable disc.

Or also mentioned Heat could be a good choice if you just want an understable disc to go straight and far and not worm burn...

Kind of depends on what you're envisioning disc to do, I think...

If you're looking for understable, but not so touchy that it turns and burns so easily, I love the Discmania CD2 and the Innova Valkryie. Both easy to hyzerflip, keep dead straight for tunnel shots, line shape and trust not to flip over into an accidental throwller. I bagged CD2s for the last couple years until I had some more seasoned PDs and Thunderbirds. Now, for understable, I throw a TD. Hyzerflips, turnovers, tunnels. Mostly TD shots. For slightly understable, I have a nice seasoned 164g S-PD. If I lose that seasoned PD, it's back to my stockpile of CD2s.

PS: Unless as I'm seeing most of this thread go, you want to stick with Trilogy for some reason.

No I absolutely am open to whatever, I'm probably more along the lines of moving away from trilogy actually.

I recently lost my Hatchet (not really that mad about it) at first it was an okay line shaper but quickly became good for only rollers. So I'm looking for an understable driver to shape shots with that preferably isn't so damn touchy. Should I find another
-2/2 disc or find a -1/2 -1/3 rated disc and beat it into a line shaper? Thanks in advance for your input.

The Falchion is awesome. The Champion Sidewinder is pretty similar to the Falchion, though the Falchion has a bit more glide.

I also like the AvengerSS as an understable driver.

The Fury is a good understable disc, but Trilogy's plastics wear in quickly, and that Fury will become a very understable disc in all too short a time. But you might really like it.

A 170gr Star Sidewinder or Star Roadrunner.
Neither is as flippy as the numbers suggest (unless you have an uncontrollable cannon arm).
Heck, buy both!

They will last far longer than that Swedish purposely flippy, glidey plastic that beats in to worthlessness in a few weeks.

Slowly I am moving away from the trilogy plastic. Slowly but surely.

My recent favorite is a max weight Champ Valkyrie. I think it has the perfect amount of understability while still being very controllable. And I feel like it's not going to be useless once it beats in. I bought it as a backup for my oldest s-line PD, but I actually like it more now. I wish I tried it earlier.

Big fan of used champ or Pro Valks, let somebody else beat them in and save you the time. Market Place here or eBay works, little less than max weight for me usually in the mid 160 range.

If you're looking for understable, but not so touchy that it turns and burns so easily, I love the Discmania CD2 and the Innova Valkryie. Both easy to hyzerflip, keep dead straight for tunnel shots, line shape ...

I wouldn't say cd2 is easy to hyzerflip. Very nice straight flier, but not easy to flip unless you throw it over 400ft i guess. I would describe CD2 as just a mellow PD.