• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like a movie.

roy-rogers2.jpg

Hey, don't mess up a good thing, the Ascent is fine. It's not supposed to be a Teebird.
I always have the Ascent because I can rely on the turn, Teebirds go straight.
Sometimes you need the turn, plus, like most of the other Vibram discs, the Ascent tends to sit down when it lands.
Its not a skip disc, even though I have wanted it to skip sometimes, it just doesnt.
Another Vibram happy camper disc. :clap:

I would be interested in an OS mid,IF, and only if it was a small diameter, and preferably has a low profile rim.
And some decent colors.

It's not a movie though it sounds like a good Western. It is a reality TV show I am sure. We have talked about that before in this thread somewhere.

As for the Overstable mid, I am stoked about this idea but would say that they need to keep it as similar to the Ibex as possible (diameter, rim thickness, ect.). I am a fan of consistency and I like my Ibex just as it is.

I wonder how overstable we are talking? Whippet, Gator, Drone, Hornet, Glow Champ Roc?

That is a good question.

My first hypothesis:
Mr. Dodge wants something that he will be able to throw all the time. Not knowing his game challenges things but I am guessing he would like something less stable than most of the things that you mentioned. So, perhaps we are talking Roc, Wasp, Hornet range of things.

My second hypothesis:
To be consistent with previous lines of discs from Vibram (VP, Ridge, Summit) the overstable midrange will fit along the same lines. If the Ibex is the equivilent of the Ridge then expect something along the lines of the Hornet. If the Ibex is more like the Summit then expect a Wasp or Roc at best. Personally I think the Ibex is somewhere inbetween the Ridge and Summit so I am expecting something inbetween a Wasp and a Hornet. (my apologies for using mainly Discraft references, that is the only other brand I carry besides Vibram).

Maybe it's just me, but I hate the Ascent. When I throw it, it's a brick, consistently several dozen feet shorter than similar fairways. When I think to myself "Teebird or Ascent...?" it's not a difficult choice (lol its not even a choice). So whenever I hear someone talk about Vibram releasing a new disc I keep secretly wishing they'd dump the Ascent and make a better version. A more stable Trak perhaps. Nothing gets me excited like stable Fairway drivers, mids and putters, and with the Ibex/Sole/Ridge there's nothing I would ask for in those slots.

I'd be lost without my Ascent. I seem to find a new use for it every time I play.

I'd be lost without my Ascent. I seem to find a new use for it every time I play.

I'll just chalk it up to personal preference then. That being the case I would hope for a Teebird-esque disc in rubber. That would be saaaweeeeeeet.

Just got a new VP at a tourney in Tallahassee. They handed player pack discs out before the tourney started. Putted with it in the tourney and loved it!

I'll just chalk it up to personal preference then. That being the case I would hope for a Teebird-esque disc in rubber. That would be saaaweeeeeeet.

Try a Trak, unless you think that is going to be too understable. From what I have seen the Trak fills that TeeBird spot quite well.

A trak and a teebird are pretty much the same mold. It's about as 'esque' as you can get. The soft trak is amazing.

Played some catch with a 152 Summit today, was surprised how similar it flew to a heavy weight.

Anyone throwing any of the 150 class Vibram?

Try a Trak, unless you think that is going to be too understable. From what I have seen the Trak fills that TeeBird spot quite well.

The first 3 Traks I've tried were too understable, nothing like a Teebird. However I have recently acquired a Trak that is very Teebird-esque. Quite the variation.

Spent the whole day with my Sole as my only putter. Loved it. Really need to get a regular x-link one and still have to get a Summit; however, I loved what I could get the Sole to do.

Blasted trees and almost no nicks in the plastic. Wasn't super stoked with how it was while wet, even compared to my champ plastics I was using.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate the Ascent. When I throw it, it's a brick, consistently several dozen feet shorter than similar fairways. When I think to myself "Teebird or Ascent...?" it's not a difficult choice (lol its not even a choice). So whenever I hear someone talk about Vibram releasing a new disc I keep secretly wishing they'd dump the Ascent and make a better version. A more stable Trak perhaps. Nothing gets me excited like stable Fairway drivers, mids and putters, and with the Ibex/Sole/Ridge there's nothing I would ask for in those slots.

I have the exact opposite response. There is usually nothing I'd rather throw off the tee than my Ascent. I can throw it about 300 feet with more accuracy than any other disc. When I really want to win (I'm not experimenting), it will always be in the bag. It's my "bread and butter" driver. The only thing close is the Striker, but I prefer the grip of the Ascent (med).

The first 3 Traks I've tried were too understable, nothing like a Teebird. However I have recently acquired a Trak that is very Teebird-esque. Quite the variation.

Are the Traks you have tried all the same firmness? That is one thing that varies. I prefer the Medium X-Link as it tends to be the most stable. The Medium Trak I picked up is very TeeBird like.

Firm X-link is a bit more understable than the Medium.

Soft X-Link has more glide then any of the other stiffnesses leading it to be more understable, theoretically. That is really theororetical.

I actually get more high speed turn from my Ascent than I do from my Trak but the Trak stays straight at the end and the Ascent comes back consistently for me.

I realize the mountain/hiking related names are gonna run out sometime. I love you Vibram, but I do hope you rename this one before release.

wiki:
The obex (from the Latin for barrier) is the point in the human brain at which the fourth ventricle narrows to become the central canal of the spinal cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.