• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see how Vibram has contracted this reputation of "no glide" discs. Sure, their glide is low in general... but I mean have you ever thrown a Wolf? There are less glidey discs out there.

Also, since when was being "glideless" a bad thing? I am far more accurate with less glidey discs. Been throwing my Ascent more and more because I TRUST where it is going to go. I don't have to worry about it gliding into oblivion like a River or something.

You also have to muscle them a lot more. And one disc that lacks glide out of a whole line is very different from a companies whole product line lacking glide.

Trak glides alright.

I too enjoy the low glide levels and feel they're more accurate. They are more akin to irons. No matter how hard you hit a 9 iron, it's never gonna go as far as your 3 wood. In disc golf most people it's like the throw every shot with a "3 wood" until they're putting.

Anyway... I also agree we need more Vibram goodies! When Mr. Dodge?

I know the softies don't need more muscle, but the reg X-link and firms sure do. I have a right shoulder that is basically hamburger. I can play a round or two with nothing but the soft Trak and Ascent and feel no pain at all. Add a med or firm to that mix and I get some pain due to having to throw harder to get the same result as the softs. I'm not getting a ton of pain, just enough to let me know I am definitely exerting more on the throws with the firmer discs.

Anyone been to a Vibram Birdie Event?
Worth attending?
I haven't ever thrown any vibram discs, what should I expect?

I haven't been to one but will be at all the events when they come to Colorado this summer. I am interested in eharing the answer to this question.

So does anybody keep a sole and a ridge in the bag? I've rocked the vp/ridge/summit trio for a long time and just can't seem to find a spot for the sole.

Also, the soft trek is awesome. I wish softs weren't so rare.

I have every Vibram disc in my bag. All the putters and multiple versions of some of them. The Ridge is more stable than the Sole. If I really want to get a good straight drive out there it has to be the Ridge. If I need a bit more finess, I reach for the Sole. The Sole has more glide but will also flip a lot easier.

Here is a theory I am working on after having just a horrid time making upshots at a tournament this past weekend. Soft = easier landing and more distance potential but a lot harder to control out of the hand. Medium and Firm = CONTROL!

I could not get my soft VP close to the basket and in practice rounds so far I have been spot on with my medium. Thoughts?

Here is a theory I am working on after having just a horrid time making upshots at a tournament this past weekend. Soft = easier landing and more distance potential but a lot harder to control out of the hand. Medium and Firm = CONTROL!

I could not get my soft VP close to the basket and in practice rounds so far I have been spot on with my medium. Thoughts?

This is why I retired my soft VP, much as I love the way it sits down around the basket and camps like an Occupy supporter.
It tends to stick to your fingers, like griplock, so its hard to get the right release point if you are used to regular X Link. Switching beteen regular and soft created chaos for me.
It only seems to happen with the softs though, I have no problem transitioning between regular and firm XLink.

I retired my soft summit for the same reason actually. Med and firm Vibrams are definitely comparable in regards to their release.

The soft Summit is the straightest putter ever. That said, it's no longer in my bag. I have 3.

I used to use them when I was a spin putter. Now that I push putt...

I'll use them if I'm going to a course where the baskets are close to deep water or cliffs, otherwise... no.

Just attended Birdie Event at the Nati!

Anyone been to a Vibram Birdie Event?
Worth attending?
I haven't ever thrown any vibram discs, what should I expect?

Definitely worth attending! 2 Vibram Disc for $25 is an excellent value and all models were available I believe. The only mold I don't recall seeing is the VP, but, I was not looking for a VP. Chose a firm Ibex and medium Sole. Winner is now a Vibram Tester, of course I lost by 1 stroke. Missed two 7 footers and a a 10 footer, still a good time. Attend a Vibram event if you have the chance, Good time and Great value. Thanks Mr. Dodge, it was a pleasure.

Definitely worth attending! 2 Vibram Disc for $25 is an excellent value and all models were available I believe. The only mold I don't recall seeing is the VP, but, I was not looking for a VP. Chose a firm Ibex and medium Sole. Winner is now a Vibram Tester, of course I lost by 1 stroke. Missed two 7 footers and a a 10 footer, still a good time. Attend a Vibram event if you have the chance, Good time and Great value. Thanks Mr. Dodge, it was a pleasure.

Ooo, I cannot wait for June to come! Maybe Mr. Dodge will have a new disc by then for us to choose? Not likely but a boy can dream can't he?

"Ooo, I cannot wait for June to come! Maybe Mr. Dodge will have a new disc by then for us to choose? Not likely but a boy can dream can't he?"

Dodge spoke of this new disc, an overstable midrange to be released next month maybe, not sure if I heard correctly. Hopefully the Nati will order a few when available. Of the 3 possible names for the disc, i only remember "Obex" which I liked the best, seemed logical as explained by Mr. Dodge.

OMG I would love an overstable Vibram mid. I generally reach for my Ibex out of pitty because it's the end of the day and the poor little guy's been sitting in my bag gathering dust.

OMG I would love an overstable Vibram mid. I generally reach for my Ibex out of pitty because it's the end of the day and the poor little guy's been sitting in my bag gathering dust.

I bought an medium Ibex last summer, I am jekyll and hyde with that disc, my fault not the disc. Have to use good form with Vibrams disc in order to score well. Made a few long putts today with my old Sole, great long range putter for me. The firm Ibex did well for me in windy conditions today, may add it to the bag to play Phil Moore this Friday for the BG Ams. The Phil Moore course reviews mention wind being a factor.

I enjoyed the event as well. They did have some VP's but I went with a Ridge instead. It was tough putting today with the way the wind was blowing at times. Overall, I'd say Vibram knows how to put on a fun event.

"Ooo, I cannot wait for June to come! Maybe Mr. Dodge will have a new disc by then for us to choose? Not likely but a boy can dream can't he?"

Dodge spoke of this new disc, an overstable midrange to be released next month maybe, not sure if I heard correctly. Hopefully the Nati will order a few when available. Of the 3 possible names for the disc, i only remember "Obex" which I liked the best, seemed logical as explained by Mr. Dodge.

Wow, when did you get Mr. Dodge to admit that? That seems out of character for him. At the same time I am crazy excited.

I enjoyed the event as well. They did have some VP's but I went with a Ridge instead. It was tough putting today with the way the wind was blowing at times. Overall, I'd say Vibram knows how to put on a fun event.

Another good review, thank you. I am trying to figure out how to not be too excited between now and when Mr. Dodge comes to Colorado.

Maybe it's just me, but I hate the Ascent. When I throw it, it's a brick, consistently several dozen feet shorter than similar fairways. When I think to myself "Teebird or Ascent...?" it's not a difficult choice (lol its not even a choice). So whenever I hear someone talk about Vibram releasing a new disc I keep secretly wishing they'd dump the Ascent and make a better version. A more stable Trak perhaps. Nothing gets me excited like stable Fairway drivers, mids and putters, and with the Ibex/Sole/Ridge there's nothing I would ask for in those slots.

Another good review, thank you. I am trying to figure out how to not be too excited between now and when "Mr. Dodge comes to Colorado" .

Sounds like a movie.

roy-rogers2.jpg

Maybe it's just me, but I hate the Ascent. When I throw it, it's a brick, consistently several dozen feet shorter than similar fairways. When I think to myself "Teebird or Ascent...?" it's not a difficult choice (lol its not even a choice). So whenever I hear someone talk about Vibram releasing a new disc I keep secretly wishing they'd dump the Ascent and make a better version. A more stable Trak perhaps. Nothing gets me excited like stable Fairway drivers, mids and putters, and with the Ibex/Sole/Ridge there's nothing I would ask for in those slots.

Hey, don't mess up a good thing, the Ascent is fine. It's not supposed to be a Teebird.
I always have the Ascent because I can rely on the turn, Teebirds go straight.
Sometimes you need the turn, plus, like most of the other Vibram discs, the Ascent tends to sit down when it lands.
Its not a skip disc, even though I have wanted it to skip sometimes, it just doesnt.
Another Vibram happy camper disc. :clap:

I would be interested in an OS mid,IF, and only if it was a small diameter, and preferably has a low profile rim.
And some decent colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.