• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Vibram Fivefingers

No trouble with my Vivobarefoot Off Roads so far but if i don't gallop fast and the tees aren't dirty and there's not dew on the grass or the grass ain't tall Komodosports work. As long as you don't kick anything in them. So the Spyridon could work because it has taller sole on the side and it is better protected against kicking the feet into objects. But what is your trouble in using your running shoes for DG? Depending on the conditions you might get by at least for some conditions and non competition situations with your running shoes.

BLURR said:
JR said:
Do you get that trampoline like elasticity from having some tendon tightness in planting and striking mid foot having the heel touch the ground only softly? That trampoline type bounce forward in each step is an eye opener. Tendon bounce. The snap of running? The tendon bounce, elasticity, trampoline effect, whatever you call it is usable in disc golf run up and x step too. More power and balance thus consistency too.

It was so bouncy that it felt like I was running on astroturf. Now I need to find a minimalist pair of dg shoes to go along with the running shoes.

That is a great feeling and tells of good form but i thought that do you really need shoes for the barefoot experience so i tried to shoe up and down. My traditional Adidas sneakers needed a perfect foot strike to not have the heel plant first so it was difficult and Ecco sandals that are soft and have a flat sole except for a mild upward curve at the front. There is some heel there so the ball of the foot is lower than the heel even though the sole itself is flat from the heel to the ball of the foot. Nice cushioning of impacts and no trouble running with barefoot form and insane ventilation with 5 finger socks. They might be soft enough to run without socks but i haven't tried it yet. The soles wear too quickly in DG and i like toe protection so a no go for DG but great for running although with greatly reduced ground feel even compared to not too minimalist Off Roads. The Eccos have mid foot bottom vents but way less grip than the Spyridons. So it is a different option.

I read back a little, but it sounds like the KSO Trek Mulitsports are a good option for disc golf. Anyone have a quick rundown on how these hold up on concrete pads w/ 8-10 rounds per month? The price is appealing right now - http://www.rei.com/product/798243/vibram-fivefingers-kso-trek-multisport-shoes-mens

And has anyone tried to put Nikwax (or some sort of waterproofing) on these? It seems like the upper material is right for it.

The top is porous and thin so i i have no idea if waterproofing agents work because i have no experience of them. Do yourself a favor before deciding on the shoe and try VFF Spyridon instead. Treksports have a way way slicker sole. I have a fairly similar sole in my VFF and on rocks and concrete tees they slip.

JR said:
The top is porous and thin so i i have no idea if waterproofing agents work because i have no experience of them. Do yourself a favor before deciding on the shoe and try VFF Spyridon instead. Treksports have a way way slicker sole. I have a fairly similar sole in my VFF and on rocks and concrete tees they slip.

If only Spyridon's were priced the same.

But I tried on a pair of VFF's for the first time yesterday. The size was right, but since I have long toes (which seem normal to me - size 11.5 shoe) and the toe boxes are not as long as my toes, my toes felt cramped. Does that feeling go away? I'm not going to spend money on them right now...I might opt for a rugged low-drop shoe once some come on sale.

I don't think they'll wear to larger enough so the only option would be to get a larger one and there's no guarantee that the other parts would fit you any more you might get blisters. There are minimalist shoes from other companies that make normally shaped shoes. None are cheap.

I have a pair of the KSO treksports and I wore them for the entire Michigan season playing 4-5 rounds a week and can see no defects in the shoes. I imagine i probably walked about 1000 miles in them and my course has cement tees, so I was throwing on them a lot.

As for waterproofing them, I wouldn't suggest it. They dry pretty quick and water does no damage to them. It's nice being able to just jump in the river and wash them off after a muddy round, throw them in front of a heater and when I get home from work the next day they are dry and ready to go.

I've slipped in my Komodosports that feel wise seem to be similar to the Treksports on concrete tees with sand on them. The sand has been transported in the soles, At least i've slipped with less than full speed run ups and it takes nothing to slip on dewy grass. Slow x steps have slipped on thick enough grass to eliminate sole to ground contact.