• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Video clips by jr, lcgm8, mafa and others

Thanks guys. I'd like to see a steadier image but the steady stick still ain't maneuvrable and small enough i'll build my own support. There were many shots last year where a steady stick would have been in the way either while filming or moving to the filming spot quick enough. With the vegetation on DG courses one really needs minimal sized supports that aren't protruding outside the camera/body outline.

Nikko went and got Dave to voice the second foot fault per rules within three seconds of the putt leaving. It may not be that clear in the video but Markus had his left foot tip two inches closer to the basket than the disc. It was a legit call by Nikko and Dave.

JR said:
Nikko went and got Dave to voice the second foot fault per rules within three seconds of the putt leaving. It may not be that clear in the video but Markus had his left foot tip two inches closer to the basket than the disc. It was a legit call by Nikko and Dave.

I'm not saying they weren't correct on the call, and I realize that these guys do this for a living and every stroke counts to put bread on the table, but in that situation is it really worth calling him out? I guess I wasn't there, maybe he does it quite a bit and they were doing it to keep him in check, but it seemed like it was a pretty tiny infraction that would have little to no effect on the outcome of the shot. Seems sort of unsportsmanlike to take that away from him, particularly if it's rare and most likely just an accident. Guess I'm just not cut-throat enough for the pros yet :)

Here's the shot in question for those who don't want to search.

If i recall correctly this was the first footing mistake Markus made and he was called for it. This situation has sparked a lot of conversation. For and against. Some say that the rule sucks and some say the rules are the rules and everybody should stick to them. And something in between for some. There are always some who don't like any one rule. And some who dislike all the rules. And yet for the greater good of the sport at least some rules are good and following them IMO. Breaking branches regularly many courses would suffer in the vegetation and it would open the door for getting the courses pulled. And there have been attempts to break branches in front of you in competition. No good. Now it is perfectly by the book to play somebody within the rules. If it was the intention. I don't know i'm not in the heads of Nikko or Dave. On one hand sticking to the rules promotes using them so it can be for the good of the sport. There is room for improvement in following the rules over here. Dunno about the US. With that said i can think of one occasion for sure where Nikko didn't throw within 30 seconds. Others just said hurry up.

Some pros get their winnings doubled by the sponsors or something like that so it's really a matter of eating. Considering you might have to pay for lodging and flights win or lose. Only the very top players may have more security and live at least a part of their life from playing DG. Maybe not getting a pension or saving enough money for that. So every stroke does certainly count. Especially if you manage to ruffle the competition to lose more than a single stroke. Like an event...

jaboc83 said:
JR said:

I'm not saying they weren't correct on the call, and I realize that these guys do this for a living and every stroke counts to put bread on the table, but in that situation is it really worth calling him out? I guess I wasn't there, maybe he does it quite a bit and they were doing it to keep him in check, but it seemed like it was a pretty tiny infraction that would have little to no effect on the outcome of the shot. Seems sort of unsportsmanlike to take that away from him, particularly if it's rare and most likely just an accident. Guess I'm just not cut-throat enough for the pros yet :)

Here's the shot in question for those who don't want to search.

For these guys who make a living playing disc golf calling him out is absolutely worth it as that one stroke could cost you some serious cash. Also, if you noticed Markus actually made the putt initially before he was called out for the infraction but Missed the re-putt meaning he didnt gain any ground on the leader so Id say thats a pretty big impact. When money is involved especially when its the majority of your income Id say every stroke counts and that if a rule is broken you are in the right to call him out.

SDGO 2010 final part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdflMpVrrH0

SDGO 2010 final part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNKHrPzFc8M

awesome videos. Kind of a boring final, but great to watch anyways. I wish all disc golf events were available in this quality on YouTube!

Nikko had gotten a cushy lead.

Here is SDGO 2010 round one part one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZSHOJBu6m8

A shameless self plug and i do love the footage the other made. This is DiscGolfLive episode 40 part 1 where lies a segment of the production version of the Tali Open 2009 with English commentary. Commentary is lacking in the Youtube version lcgm8 has uploaded. The video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHqjEsBFdgw

nice. I hope the video of the next president's cub is this good. I wonder how long it'll be before the disc videos start coming out in 3D like everything else :) It would add a whole lot of perspective to the courses.

Thanks, JR, you beat me to it.

Your contribution is greatly appreciated and I look forward to some more Euro action down the line. I think the mix of contributors to this episode does a nice job of highlighting the efforts folks around the world are putting into helping grow the game of disc golf. Here's the second half of the show, which includes footage of David Wiggins tearing up the Toboggan at Am Nats, a Vibram Open selection, and the a piece from ClashDVD on the Collegiate Championships:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHqjEsBFdgw

For those of you out there interested in growing our game, if you have a local or community TV station in town, take a few minutes and find out what it takes to submit a program for broadcast. You'll probably find it easier than you think. Copies of DGL are available at no charge.

Take care, all. Spring is near!

Joe

this is another amazing Scandinavian course ... makes me want to take a vacation there ... as long as my wife would actually let me bring discs with me, because there's no way she'd let me go without her.

SDGO round 1 part 3
http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/2/gpuqNcudWvc

SDGO round 1 part 4:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/1/N5pplepQGSU

Interview with Kenneth Lindqvist:
http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/eCXr0WM0KI8

Check it out he's got a little different perspective to disc golf compared to others. He gets paid :-D

Great videos, but those three last Dutch open videos you just ruined with your comments.
Please make comment free versions.

That's a pretty poorly executed left-handed complement. Maybe you should spend hours filming and editing your own footage instead of making tasteless comments like that.

tiger aqua said:
Great videos, but those three last Dutch open videos you just ruined with your comments.
Please make comment free versions.

Not cool, tiger aqua. These guys put a ton of time and effort into these videos. There's no need to insult them like that. There are better ways to give criticism.

There are some no comments clips on Youtube.

It's alright. People have different preferences and you can't please everyone. One can only hope to not offend too many. For style and content we do need feedback to see what the majority opinion is. And what people would like to hear in commentary style and information wise.

It is true that this is a rush job. I don't have enough free hours to do any better than this at the moment. I'm busy with work and don't have the time to practice let alone comment with a sore throat. Flu. This commentary was made with fewer retakes than normal because i was in a rush to get this ready prior to this years Dutch Open.

We've had feedback from pro players liking the sparse commentary in earlier work. At least for some the host droning on in every throw in commercial videos made by others is a distraction from the competition. I understand the need of new players to have more explanation. I wanted to see the reactions to more narration. Because the events are long i wanted to give the watchers some breaks still so there's a little less narration in the earlier rounds.

We have plans for Dutch Open and Stockholm Disc Golf Open 2010 that are unlike other projects we made. It's not ready for public announcement yet but it necessitates the explanation of fundamentals. So that those that have never heard of disc golf and new players can follow what's going on and get a leg up on improving in playing skills should they get interested in getting deeper into this great sport. With that goal in mind i planned to go even more into the nuts and bolts for a beginner crash course. I know that it isn't popular with the more experienced players but i think it needs to be done for the greater good of the sport. Sorry to those that are already moaning. We need to target as many different types of people as possible with these projects.

Ok that comment was little harsh and made at 3.30 saturday night.
But seriously there is some useful comments about OB, wind etc. You don't have to comment every throw or putt.

tiger aqua said:
Ok that comment was little harsh and made at 3.30 saturday night.
But seriously there is some useful comments about OB, wind etc. You don't have to comment every throw or putt.

That's my preference too as a viewer. But i'm trying to do a public service so my wants must take the second seat.

I COMPLETELY disagree with aqua. I thought your commentary was a fantastic contrast to the Billy Crump's and Cubby's of disc golf videos. I loved it. Keep it up. It was a great deadpan approach with no going crazy (verbally) over good or bad shots.