• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is Good Form??

Good form = what is best for you and your body. Every pro looks different in their forms, but one thing is constant...the acceleration through the hit.
There's a lot more that's consistent between people that throw really far. The issue is that people focus on the differences rather than the similarities.

The more efficient your energy transfer, the more control you're going to be able to build. You still have to be efficient on shorter throws though. Efficiency is the key.

If I understand efficiency, it deals with the percentage of power exerted from a source which is transferred to the task at hand. So a vehicle on dry road will be more efficient than one one on ice since the same movement of the tires gives greater distance (rather than spinning out).

But why would efficiency by itself equal control? Cannot a vehicle start out on dry road and still veer off into the ditch?

Shouldn't a definition of good form deal with more than power (or the efficiency of power transfer)?

Form is a very small part of disc golf. There's disc selection, shot shaping, aiming techniques, wind, getting out of trouble, mental game, putting, etc.. Even with perfect form you still have to master all these things to be great.

Good form has:

Proper grip,

wrist orientation,

waist orientation / shoulder plane,

footwork that sets up for optimum reach back and pull though,

footwork that adds energy and momentum but maintains smoothness and timing,

straight reachback,

smooth pull through in a straight line and close to body,

Late acceleration,

Continuous acceleration into the follow through.

A thoughtful list but not a definition, rather a list of components.

As an aside I would ask whether each component listed is necessary. That is, if a player were very talented but failed to use a run up or failed to use a straight reach back, could they still have good form?

If I defined a horse as having 4 legs, etc., would a horse which lost a leg cease to be a horse?

What, if anything, does good form mean in terms of scoring well?

If I understand efficiency, it deals with the percentage of power exerted from a source which is transferred to the task at hand. So a vehicle on dry road will be more efficient than one one on ice since the same movement of the tires gives greater distance (rather than spinning out).

But why would efficiency by itself equal control? Cannot a vehicle start out on dry road and still veer off into the ditch?

Shouldn't a definition of good form deal with more than power (or the efficiency of power transfer)?
Don't think of it as a car driving on cement or on ice. Think of starting on cement or ice. With the cement you can hit the accelerator hard from a stop and accelerate quickly in the correct direction. On ice if you hit the accelerator hard from a stop you'll just slide around in some random direction depending on how the car is sitting.

With disc golf, if the disc slings (pivots about the lock point) out of your hand you get a really consistent release. If it slips out of your hand you have much less control of when it leaves your hand, which direction is goes and how much power you transferred.

If I defined a horse as having 4 legs, etc., would a horse which lost a leg cease to be a horse?

I defined good form. A three legged horse would still be a horse but not necessarily a good horse.

Your other question was answered by post #23.

Don't think of it as a car driving on cement or on ice. Think of starting on cement or ice. With the cement you can hit the accelerator hard from a stop and accelerate quickly in the correct direction. On ice if you hit the accelerator hard from a stop you'll just slide around in some random direction depending on how the car is sitting.

With disc golf, if the disc slings (pivots about the lock point) out of your hand you get a really consistent release. If it slips out of your hand you have much less control of when it leaves your hand, which direction is goes and how much power you transferred.

If I were to grant you the wisdom of your knowledge, how would this help me define good form?

I defined good form. A three legged horse would still be a horse but not necessarily a good horse.

Your other question was answered by post #23.

No you gave me a list of components. That is not a definition. It tells me things to look for but not what it is. And if any item on the list is not essential to good form then it should not part of the definition at all.

No you gave me a list of components. That is not a definition. It tells me things to look for but not what it is. And if any item on the list is not essential to good form then it should not part of the definition at all.

Since you like definitions, here's one for you:

Definition - A statement conveying fundamental character.

My post was a statement conveying fundamental character of good form. I'm not sure what more you want. It sounds like you're wanting us to define a verb as if it were a noun.

You aren't getting the responses you want because your question is incredibly vague. If you want something different you'll have to reword your question or clarify what you want.

Since you like definitions, here's one for you:

Definition - A statement conveying fundamental character.

My post was a statement conveying fundamental character of good form. I'm not sure what more you want. It sounds like you're wanting us to define a verb as if it were a noun.

:hfive:

You aren't getting the responses you want because your question is incredibly vague. If you want something different you'll have to reword your question or clarify what you want.

Ok, I will try again.

Definition: A concise statement of the meaning of a phrase.

What is the definition of good form?

Ok, I will try again.

Definition: A concise statement of the meaning of a phrase.

What is the definition of good form?

Good Form: Method of throwing a golf disc to achieve a desired flight path with both accuracy and consistency.

Is that what you want? It's kinda useless.

Definition: The word form is used in gymnastics to describe the way an athlete does his/her skills. Good form is to perform the move with the right body positions -- usually straight legs, pointed toes, and arms in the correct position.

Good form can vary from skill to skill. For example, good form in a back tuck would be to have the legs tucked and together, with toes pointed. In a regular handstand, however, good form would be to keep the legs straight.

Also Known As: Execution

Last edited:

I am certainly not an expert in grammar but I think "good form" is a noun.

I do appreciate your answer because it shows knowledge and insight into good form. But before anyone can decide what the components of good form are they need to know what it is.

So, viewing the definition of definition as: "A concise statement of the meaning of a phrase", then what is the definition of good form?

Good Form: Method of throwing a golf disc to achieve a desired flight path with both accuracy and consistency.

Is that what you want? It's kinda useless.

Useless? With the thousands of posts on this site and others exploring good form, it is useless to know what it is?

If a definition could be created which had some general consensus would it not make a good starting point to understanding and breaking down good form?

You mention accuracy and consistency. Does good form insure either? Does power not matter? An earlier shot at the definition included only power.

No expert here but ill share my view...

Imo, good form is the ability to throw any disc in your speed range on multiple lines. Great form would extend this ability to any disc.

To apply it to a real example, one with good form can throw any midrange and can pick which mold they prefer. One with not so good form may be limited in "what works for them".
One with good form can also take most any versitile mold and navigate a course with it. One with not so good is usually limited in use for even versitile molds.

bad_form.jpg

I am certainly not an expert in grammar but I think "good form" is a noun.

I do appreciate your answer because it shows knowledge and insight into good form. But before anyone can decide what the components of good form are they need to know what it is.

So, viewing the definition of definition as: "A concise statement of the meaning of a phrase", then what is the definition of good form?

You should have quoted the guy who said that not the guy who high fived him. And the verb into a noun comment was a hypothetical illustration of the difficulty your question poses.

You should have quoted the guy who said that not the guy who high fived him. And the verb into a noun comment was a hypothetical illustration of the difficulty your question poses.

Sorry. Bad form on my part.:)

Latest posts