• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is Good Form??

I think this question is a lot like define the perfect golf (ball) swing, define the perfect slap shot (hockey), define the perfect way a human does anything really. And I don't think it's possible because two different people can have similar consistancy of results but how they get there may look a bit different.

I think the best way you're going to get to a definition of good form or a basis for how to define could form would be to find a list of attributes that make up good form for a disc golf throw.

It's like define good pizza. Sure you can define pizza, but how do you define good pizza, maybe you like thin crust and hate thick crust? What works for you might not work for someone else.

But components of good form can be listed and defined indivdually, as well as discussed. But if I have to give 'good form' a definition I would say:

good disc golf form: the efficient transfer of potential energy from the musculoskeletal system to kinetic energy of the flying disc. the efficiency of this process can be refined, adding distance, consistency, and accuracy.

Ok, I will try again.

Definition: A concise statement of the meaning of a phrase.

What is the definition of good form?
Good form is just doing all that stuff correctly, just like an automobile is all of that stuff assembled correctly. I'm not sure what value you're looking to get out of a definition that's not circular (e.g. good form is throwing correctly).

An automobile is "a self-propelled passenger vehicle that usually has four wheels and an internal-combustion engine, used for land transport."

Good form is "the set of movements required to throw a disc accurately and far."

Neither of those helps anyone learn how to drive, it's just a reference for someone who doesn't speak English well.
You won't be able to do any better than "far" when you're as vague as "good" in the term you're trying to define. It seems like all you're asking is "how good is good when you say 'good form'" and that depends on the person asking. It's a vague term so it will have a vague definition.

You will find the answer in the Landfill, under a thread entitled "The Sexiest Woman on Earth"[Part II].

I think this question is a lot like define the perfect golf (ball) swing, define the perfect slap shot (hockey), define the perfect way a human does anything really. And I don't think it's possible because two different people can have similar consistancy of results but how they get there may look a bit different.

I think the best way you're going to get to a definition of good form or a basis for how to define could form would be to find a list of attributes that make up good form for a disc golf throw.

It's like define good pizza. Sure you can define pizza, but how do you define good pizza, maybe you like thin crust and hate thick crust? What works for you might not work for someone else.

But components of good form can be listed and defined indivdually, as well as discussed. But if I have to give 'good form' a definition I would say:

good disc golf form: the efficient transfer of potential energy from the musculoskeletal system to kinetic energy of the flying disc. the efficiency of this process can be refined, adding distance, consistency, and accuracy.

Nice job mjoyce, yeoman's effort. I think we are moving in the right direction.

You won't be able to do any better than "far" when you're as vague as "good" in the term you're trying to define. It seems like all you're asking is "how good is good when you say 'good form'" and that depends on the person asking. It's a vague term so it will have a vague definition.

Dear DGCR Consultant (forgive me, I don't know what your title means being new to the site, it sounds darn impressive, for sure) you seem hung up on "vagueness".

The whole idea of a definition is to remove vagueness and replace it with clarity. The question is simple and clear. What is the definition of good form? A good answer should explain precisely what it means.

I am not asking about great form or perfect form or marginal form or wretched form, merely good form. Does the question not make sense?

^^^Go to "Forums" and troll to the bottom.

This whole "Troll" thing confuses me. Why should asking basic questions be viewed as inciting the passions and anger of a group?

So you know, I seek no riot of emotion. I do not seek to prove myself right and everybody else wrong. I do not seek to belittle or demean others. Ideas should defend themselves based on their intrinsic values.

I do seek to find answers. I hope to find folks (and ideas) wise enough to learn from and make me a better person, player and teacher. I will advocate those ideas which I believe most strongly in irrespective of their current popularity until and unless I am persuaded otherwise. But I remain open to be persuaded.

It is my nature to poke fun at things, myself foremost. If ever you feel insulted by me then please know I am smiling gently, not maliciously.

Dear DGCR Consultant (forgive me, I don't know what your title means being new to the site, it sounds darn impressive, for sure) you seem hung up on "vagueness".

The whole idea of a definition is to remove vagueness and replace it with clarity. The question is simple and clear. What is the definition of good form? A good answer should explain precisely what it means.

I am not asking about great form or perfect form or marginal form or wretched form, merely good form. Does the question not make sense?

The question makes sense, it just appears that you want the answer to be simple, and unfortunately it kinda isn't. You already got a couple of simplified definitions in a general sense...of "form." Part of the complexity here is that you adjectivized it with the word "good." :)

If you don't like the simplified definitions given (and/or the ones that are *easily* accessible in a standard dictionary), and you don't like the ones offered in long-form...kinda don't see you being satisfied at all here. Looking at my Webster's, it seems as though 2 of the 20 entries under Noun would apply here, and 4 of the 6 entries under Transitive Verb would as well. It's a start!

Maybe you should spell out the definition for everyone and get feedback on your attempt?

Good Form = The ability to throw with good power and great control on a consistent basis. Consistency comes from having a nice clean throwing motion without any extraneous motions. These can cause loss of power and totally kill your ability to throw consistently.

Perhaps the condescending tone you're taking is why people are asking for this to be locked. It's pretty clear you're trying to stir stuff up. You're asking the same question over and over and then not accepting it when you get the same answer over and over. Either accept the answer or change the question.

You can't have a specific definition of a vague term. "Good" is too vague. "Good" form will give you "good" power and "good" control. You can't possibly get more specific than that. It just deepens on how good the person using the terms wants to be.

The truth

The answer you seek will not present itself here.

It is in a large field.

Go there and throw all your discs into the field.

Collect discs and repeat.

Stop wasting your time searching for the intangible in a forum full of text.

The question makes sense, it just appears that you want the answer to be simple, and unfortunately it kinda isn't. You already got a couple of simplified definitions in a general sense...of "form." Part of the complexity here is that you adjectivized it with the word "good." :)

If you don't like the simplified definitions given (and/or the ones that are *easily* accessible in a standard dictionary), and you don't like the ones offered in long-form...kinda don't see you being satisfied at all here. Looking at my Webster's, it seems as though 2 of the 20 entries under Noun would apply here, and 4 of the 6 entries under Transitive Verb would as well. It's a start!

Maybe you should spell out the definition for everyone and get feedback on your attempt?

Thank you. I accept the challenge. In creating this thread I had a general idea of the definition for the term but wanted to give everyone else first shot at it.

Good form in throwing a golf disc:

Any throwing motion which allows a player to maximize power, control and consistency but causes no injury to the player.

Perhaps the condescending tone you're taking is why people are asking for this to be locked. It's pretty clear you're trying to stir stuff up. You're asking the same question over and over and then not accepting it when you get the same answer over and over. Either accept the answer or change the question.

You can't have a specific definition of a vague term. "Good" is too vague. "Good" form will give you "good" power and "good" control. You can't possibly get more specific than that. It just deepens on how good the person using the terms wants to be.

Sorry my response to you came off sharper than intended. No offense was intended and I can take it as well as I dish it out.

Threads get locked for "tone"?? Ok, whatever the rules are.

I was looking for a definition which properly encompassed the elements of good form and have now offered one up. If it is flawed then perhaps someone can improve upon it.

The answer you seek will not present itself here.

It is in a large field.

Go there and throw all your discs into the field.

Collect discs and repeat.

Stop wasting your time searching for the intangible in a forum full of text.

I have visited the large field and the impenetrable forest and sections of OB that no player should venture into.

If throwing is the only joy in the game then why are we here? Writing down thoughts should help us clarify in our own minds the truth as we see it. Reading the great debates of the day allows us to decide for ourselves where truth lies. Heck, I might even learn something.

Latest posts