• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What should happen with rear leg?

To me it looks like he is getting onto the front leg for the entire swing. Not finishing balanced, but to me the sequencing looks really good. Agreed, SW?

Definitely better sequence, not totally there though as the weight of the rear arm/side is still hanging back.

Trying to stay on back toes.

I am not fully sure I am doing everything correctly.
I am trying to get the weight off the rear foot and then start the swing, but I feel like I am doing 2 separate parts and they are not smooth together...

1. Should I be starting to initiate my hips or shoulders or arm before I get off rear foot or I am doing things correctly so far, just need more practice?
  2. Also, what should bring my disc to my left shoulder or between pecs? Should my arm be still loose until then?

This is putters flying ~280 feet with tailwind.
How does it look, any more tips?

This looks all to familiar to me. You're leveraging the rear hip more upward instead of forward. This is causing you to tip over the top and get jammed up on the front hip (it won't clear). You want to concentrate on leveraging forward pretty much as you start the backswing. The point is to get some equal opposite action with the hips leading the throw. Watch how your rear knee is basically level with front knees and it's rotating around the front instead of clearing behind it (I've heard it described as the legs should look tangled in the finish). This is all caused by the tipping over the top. It helped me to think drop rather than push.

Here's some helpful info from my thread on what you're struggling with.

There's no resistance/brace in your front hip(the move part 2/from behind you), you are going around it and shoulder flying open and over top. Looks like you are still pushing your pelvis around and late instead of forward and your rear hip/leg trail around/over in the followthrough. Your rear knee should hang under your hip and follow through almost tangled with front knee/squeezing you upright. Your knees are spreading apart as you tip over and your rear knee moves away from the rear hip. Look at how Wiggins finishes with feet tangled together totally upright braced in finish like Olympic hammer thrower.

There's not much real difference in the rear leg among top throwers, it basically just reacts to whatever stride length and direction and balance and posture you have. This why all top ball golfers finish in the same position.

twoO771.png

veDfb08.png

Take a full Feldy/McBeth pre-swing and work around the disc - door frame 3. You are turning backward way too early(rear leg too backward) and then extending your rear leg, instead of swiveling/squatting more into the rear leg on the way down from behind into the plant. It will probably feel like you are turning back too late when you get it right. That rear leg extension is pushing you too far horizontal and up/over into the plant instead of dropping more vertical into the front leg plant while leveraged from behind(rear hip internally rotated). Your rear side should rotate underneath the front side - perpetual tilted spiral. Also note your front elbow is fully extended while everyone else is bent due to bracing front side shoulder closed and lag. Your shoulders are in full go and arm/towel is already pulled taut because of the rear leg extension/un-winding/spin out.

b0W5MUY.png

Wow thanks, this was very enlightening.
After trying this out, trying to drop more on front foot and not push myself so much forward and I can finally actually feel the weight of the disc.

I feel something I have never felt before, but it is still new and have lots to improve, but first test throws are here.

I have one bad habit, I am pulling at one point the disc too high, but later get it between my pecs to correct place. Any suggestions how to work that out of my form?

How does it look?

Nice, the lower body shift to the brace leg and your balance through the follow through looks way better.

If you figure out how to keep the forearm/disc down from reachback to right pec let me know. It's impossible for me too. I get it back on plane near the hit and don't get any torque because I can smash on putters and Comets, but it always looks off on video.

I know that I have the dip issue, but now I have issue that I can not throw the disc without hyzer.:|

I have never filmed myself from back, but here it is. Sorry for it being a little long.

Is there some issue with my hand positioning? Should I be turning my wrist to compensate, or I should stand more straight? All throws go like 15-30 degree hyzer.

Your knees are too bent and never crossover each other. You should be taller going into the crossover and then squat/fall into plant. You are extending your rear knee into the plant instead of flexing while extending the foot.

On the front leg you start turning open before your weight shifts "from behind you". I would suggest actually turning your head back and looking at your disc at the max reachback.

Work on the door frame drill, you aren't really turned back or pulled back by the door frame as your weight/center moves forward. You are in a really weak/lazy tug of war/door frame position and rounding the backswing. Toss something heavy like a sledgehammer and feel it's weight pull your back arm taut in the backswing.

Watch how KJ's disc goes out wide away from him in the backswing toward the left side of tee and changes the direction more. Your disc is moving the opposite direction behind you toward the right tee side and rounded off/not changing direction.

Your knees are too bent and never crossover each other.
What do you mean under crossover each other. do you mean my knees have to go "over" eachother during xstep? I watched all the pros and their knees do not crossover each other also. Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

You are extending your rear knee into the plant instead of flexing while extending the foot.

What do you mean under flexing while extending the foot? What I have to flex exactly? And what is extending the foot mean? Do you mean extending from ankle, plantar flexion?

Your left knee goes directly to the right knee, the pro's have the left knee stride behind the right knee so that the two knees are essentially overlayed if looking from the side view. Your knees just meet each other on the insides of the leg.

You also extend the entire back leg when you push so the knee is nearly straight and your leg then kind of drags forward, the pro's drive off the instep and the knee will move underneath the rear hip. Driving off the instep will have plantar flexion. I'd have to see a side view but I think from that last behind view video, your rear knee likely stays in place after your rear leg is extended, and the leg rotates/spins on its axis.

What do you mean under crossover each other. do you mean my knees have to go "over" eachother during xstep? I watched all the pros and their knees do not crossover each other also. Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

What do you mean under flexing while extending the foot? What I have to flex exactly? And what is extending the foot mean? Do you mean extending from ankle, plantar flexion?

Your left knee goes directly to the right knee, the pro's have the left knee stride behind the right knee so that the two knees are essentially overlayed if looking from the side view. Your knees just meet each other on the insides of the leg.

You also extend the entire back leg when you push so the knee is nearly straight and your leg then kind of drags forward, the pro's drive off the instep and the knee will move underneath the rear hip. Driving off the instep will have plantar flexion. I'd have to see a side view but I think from that last behind view video, your rear knee likely stays in place after your rear leg is extended, and the leg rotates/spins on its axis.
SP said it, your knees are hitting into each other, instead of crossing behind and back over out of the way of each other. Note how Doss and Mcbeth have daylight between their knees and their pelvis is turned back closed. Move more like a sideways horse gallop.
eWp5Hv2.png

Note how McBeth and Doss's knees start wider and left femur/pelvis turned back facing us, then the left knee goes toward the left tee side toward right knee and rotates about 90 degrees facing side of tee. Your left knee starts out turned about 90 degrees facing the side of the tee and so your pelvis can't/is not turned back closed and then your rear knee extends back away from right knee toward right tee side and rear knee/femur doesn't rotate. You can also see how their left foot has extended more pushing the heel up and targetward. Your foot remains a bit flat and also your left arm is hanging back out away from your center/bracing.
gF9kRE0.png

Last edited:
All in all trying to turn the rear foot more back and shorter last step.

This is the side view with trying to to extend my rear foot. It looks wonky.

I think the back shot looks better, but I have a feeling that the issue is also related to the direction I am throwing. Here I am throwing nova so my runup was more to the left side, because I know it flips up and ends a little right.

You need to shift all your weight off the rear foot before you plant the front heel, so all your weight plants with it. Your plant has almost none of your weight with it, it's very soft, instead of being very sudden. You are trying to push off the rear foot too late during the swing and planted front foot. See Turbo Encabulator and Crush the Can like Lizotte.

Last edited:
^Yeah it seems like you are continually getting lower and lower as you are turning into the rear hip so the plant foot is coming down kind of soft and you keep pushing off the rear foot as it lands. The Lizotte can crush thing delays the foot so it feels like it has to just barely get back underneath you and you drop/fall onto the front foot a bit more suddenly. More impact with the ground and you can drive to that plant/drop from the rear side.

To be clear, the pro's do get lower as they turn into the rear hip, but that last 1-2" when their heel hits the ground is more sudden.

I tried to push off from rear foot earlier and stay on rear foot toes more. The feeling is good, drives hitting 400 feet, but not sure how to get more.

This is not max power throw, this is putter at 80%.

I tried to push off from rear foot earlier and stay on rear foot toes more. The feeling is good, drives hitting 400 feet, but not sure how to get more.

This is not max power throw, this is putter at 80%.

In the backswing... your rear leg needs to turn your rear hip/pelvis counterclockwise away from the target, that turning away should simultaneously be taking your rear hip closer to the target and your disc either stays in place in x-step or in standstill also takes the disc further away from the target. Turning your butt should initiate your arm/disc moving the same direction all together in one piece so everything is countered.

In the forward swing... you need to plant your front heel before you turn your butt to swing back targetward.

In the forward swing... you need to plant your front heel before you turn your butt to swing back targetward.

Do you turn your butt or pelvis forward consciously or it just happens after weight shift?

What I mean is, should I be actively turning butt/pelvis to gain power from it?

Do you turn your butt or pelvis forward consciously or it just happens after weight shift?

You shouldn't be actively rotating the pelvis. You should be trying to drive the rear hip/side forward while continuing to turn back. It's confusing because you're trying to move two directions at once (I describe is as trying to fold yourself in half.) The best way I can think of it is trying to get the rear hip pointing at the target then trying to push forward and down with the hip into the 'finish position' (Think golfer or bowler.) if you drive the hip forward into a closed plant, the pelvis will rotate on its own. There's more about posting and clearing on a braced front leg, but I'm pretty terrible at that.

I turn my butt forward to turn my arm/disc into the backswing together. Then reverse for forward swing, turn butt away from target which turns arm/disc forward together like a catapult/counterweight across your center of gravity/fulcrum, butt on one side and arm/disc on the other side.

At what time should I grip my disc hard? I got nice distance when I was keeping arm relaxed, but strong grip during xstep and backswing and shot.

I read somewhere that I should keep disc loose at first and during hit, apply pressure.
Now I am keeping disc loose totally in backswing and only pinch the disc in the end, but distance has reduced. I feel like disc is slipping out of my hand a little early, because I can not apply as much pressure as before.

I guess the muscles have to just get some practice to learn to apply same force in a small time window?