• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's your Buzzz of choice?

What's your Buzzz of choice?

• 1st Run

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • 2FR Buzzz

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • Old production Z

Votes: 34 11.4%
  • New production Z

Votes: 69 23.1%
  • Midnight

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • Z SS

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • ESP SS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ESP

Votes: 35 11.7%
  • FLX

Votes: 37 12.4%
  • Pro D

Votes: 14 4.7%
  • Crystal Z

Votes: 26 8.7%
  • Crystal FLX

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Sparkle Z

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • X Buzzz

Votes: 20 6.7%
  • I plead the 5th...

Votes: 28 9.4%

• Total voters
TheTyrant said:
2nd FR all the way. I'm actually embarrassed to pull out my D buzzz because of how deformed it is. I just put in an ESP to try and beat the hell out of it and use it for turnover duties. Does anyone use a thrashed esp for this? How do they beat in? Comet lovers can stay on their own thread, thank you :)

i had been working on beating an esp in.. but someone said try this.. it was a comet.. and it took the spot

Jsw said:
This thread supports my theory that people only claim they prefer the Buzzz because of their deep-rooted phobia of base-line plastic. And the Buzz provides them with a roc-like midrange that can be had in primo plastic for cheap.

I don't want to hear how many DX TB's you own(You'
re likely lying to spite me), and Gateway "S" plastic doesn't count either.

A grand total of ZERO votes for the Pro-D Buzzz says it all.

I'm such a troll. :lol:

Your right I have a serious phobia of DX plastic as does just about everyone in new england, D plastic too. I don't like the characteristics of my disc to change much at all, let alone taco it mid round and not know how it will fly the next time. I want to just be able to grab a new one and have it fly like i want it to. Easy to replace. All that took was me loosing a money dx roc. The only thing made out of dx in my bag is my roller disc.

Jsw said:
This thread supports my theory that people only claim they prefer the Buzzz because of their deep-rooted phobia of base-line plastic. And the Buzz provides them with a roc-like midrange that can be had in primo plastic for cheap.

I love base plastic, it is not a factor in deciding to throw a Roc or a Buzzz. I don't see a correlation there.

I have a spot in my bag for a shorter, more versatile mid, whereas the Buzzz is for distance and low shots. Isn't the Roc in the shorter, more versatile mid category? I use a Meteor because I can also throw it for distance on elevated teepads. At low speeds it flies every bit like my buddy's most versatile Roc, but it's better at longer distances. He's powers down a Leopard when I throw my Buzzz, and throws his Roc when I throw my Meteor.

No Roc flies like a Buzzz. I threw the Roc for a long time (dx, KC, Champ) and went back to a Buzzz strictly because of performance. I am better with a Buzzz than I was with a Roc, period. I have influenced several 990+ to switch from a Roc (or Wasp) to a Buzzz and it made them better (look up Fabricio Abdala, Dan Medina, Brian Johnson). They got tired of watching me throw prettier lines than they could get with their Rocs/Wasp on straight shots, so they picked up a Buzzz. All of these guys will tell you now that it is much easier to throw straight shots 300+ feet with the Buzzz. Even Aleksey Bubis admits that if he wasn't sponsered (and although he is not currently, he is on the board to get re-picked up if his rating climbs back) he would choose the Buzzz over a Roc. I really don't understand all the Roc hype and never have. I throw what works for me, and if Ken Climo can't show me truer straight lines with his Rocs, then NOBODY can.

I understand and respect Blake's arguments, but I think that most of his points hold truer for developing players rather than those who have excellent form and control. I have 100% true range control with my Buzzz from 280-340'. On holes I practice between these distances with my 2FR Buzzz I land within 5' of the correct distance 90% of the time. I also throw a Comet and a Champ Shark, but I use my Buzzz on the vast majority of my mid shots. It is my favorite disc and has carded me more birdies than all other discs combined. I'll stop throwing the Buzzz when someone pries it from my cold, dead hands. :mrgreen:

Frank_Delicious said:
I don't think I would compare my money roc to a meteor.
Because the Meteor is too HS and LS understable?

I wasn't intending to compare the Roc mold to the Meteor mold, I was saying that the Roc seems like a shorter, more versatile mid, which is not at all what I use my Buzzz for. I'm saying that for a versatile, shorter mid, I use my Meteor...probably because I'm at altitude. When other people pull out their seasoned Rocs, I pull out my Meteor. My Meteor will hold any line except a low anny up to 275', and I can throw it effortlessly. Anything over that, I'm throwing my Buzzz, and my Buzzz excels at low shots, including annys. What the Meteor gets me that a Roc wouldn't is turnovers out to 330'...give it some hyzer, rip it, and watch it glide left (LHBH) with 0% chance of fading back. I could throw a Roc, but I think it would overlap too much with my Buzzz without replacing it for those distance or low shots, it'd take too long to beat in, I'd cry when I lost it, and it would take a little more effort to get those lines to hold when it is newer (which I'm hearing can last for more than a year :shock: ). Not trying to dis the Roc, I really don't care, I'm just not sure why the Buzzz and Roc get compared so much. Shouldn't we be having Comet vs Roc debates now?

EDIT: And I hit chains two rounds ago with my Meteor, and chains again today with my Buzzz. How they didn't stick is beyond me, it was like the basket threw them back at me...they are Innova baskets, maybe if I was throwing Rocs :wink:

Jsw said:

I carry both the Z and D buzzz, as do a lot of players. But im sure if you ask any of them which is their money buzzz, it will be the Z, hence the votes. The D version is nice its just more of an understable compliment to the Z.

Core :) My friend bought a buzz so I finally got to look at the two side by side, I saw no difference except the dome.

discspeed said:
TeamTollandDG said:
discspeed said:
TeamTollandDG said:
I like the old production Z the best (with the flight rating etched into the disc, old dcraft z stamp, 2006 I think mine are from). I also throw the 2fr. The ones with the new stamp on them aren't even Buzzes imo.

I like the new ones. I think they are the most like 1st runs of all the others.

Hmmm. Not the ones I've seen. Domey as hell. I like em flat as a board

My new ones are flat as a board. :D I agree though, domey Buzzzes are whack.

Yep, my new z's are flat also. I own 2 and both are the same, although I throw 2ndFR

I like the Z and X- beat the X up, and you have room for both in the bag.

On a side note, the 2nd FR I throw is the one my buddy found, which I got off him for $5! It's blue with a ghost stamp, found 20ft straight after a tee at a local course, in about a foot of water. It was spring and half the course was flooded, and I figured a person who didn't realize what they had, hit one of the two trees right after the tee and it dropped in the water. How cool is that? :lol:

14 choices may seem like a bit much, but if you compiled a Roc list as comprehensive a list as the buzzz list is, it would be longer than Gene Simmons' tongue.

Also, I think the poll would be more representative of the true taste in buzzz plastics if the poll allowed 2 or three choices, not just one. Many of us throw numerous buzzzes (FLX, ESP, and old production Z for me) so a better percentage would emerge.

I forget exactly what the guy said above, but there's truth to the desire for a roc-like disc in premium plastic for cheap. That's what I consider my wasp to be. I'd buy a ton of them if there was ever any need, but I'm still working on my first one (~2 yrs) with a single backup waiting to go if coach ever puts him in the game. For now all he sees is late 4th quarter action to stay limber.

New poll!

I happened to see both the previous Z version/stamp and the newest Z version/stamp at a local store. Interesting how much more dome there was on the new stamp version. But the one I just bought is just as flat as my FLX. Weird.

what's the Z buzzz with "BUZZZ" in big letters in the middle, without the big Circle like the discraft.com shows?

How about the Z buzzz with nothing in the middle and "Discraft Buzzz" at the top and ".5 mid range driver" at the bottom?

I have to say since I'm learning to throw with my non-dominate hand the buzzz is a very good disc. It is very forgiving for an unskilled arm, It's a great "crutch". I have not been able to throw a roc lefty consistently yet.

But before you Buzzzheads get all riled up for thinking i called your arm less skilled. It can also be used by the skilled arms with great performance. I've seen a lot a good players carve up a hole with a buzzz.

This bigger range in throwers arm skill is one area i give the buzzz the nod vs. rocs.

Like the X-buzzz. Good disc that doesn't make the boys clench up when I think about tossing it across/near a pit-o-doooom.

Are the buzzz in pro-D now more durable and worth getting, or do they still beat to all heck?

I guess I know who'll be crying now when Pro D, X & Z get dumped from production in favor of ESP & FLX (no I haven't heard that, just saying). I can't believe how many people throw the ESP & FLX. I just didn't care for either one of them compared to the others. Oh well.

black udder said:
I guess I know who'll be crying now when Pro D, X & Z get dumped from production in favor of ESP & FLX (no I haven't heard that, just saying). I can't believe how many people throw the ESP & FLX. I just didn't care for either one of them compared to the others. Oh well.

Something about the FLX Buzzz really appeals to beginners. I've known many people who liked the FLX first, only to move on as they improve their form. I too threw the FLX for awhile when it came out. It has great grip and medium speed stability, but is overstable at low speeds and gets too understable at high speeds. This makes for a "squirrely" Buzzz when you put any kind of power on it.

The ESPs fly like broken in Zs out of the box, but are a bit faster imo. This makes the HSS a little touchier than the Z. Good disc for people who prefer a hyzer release.

The Pro D Buzzz is one of my least favorites. Brand new Z vs. D on a 300' straight shot: Thrown exactly the same (I took 20 Buzzzes to the field last night, so my release was dialed in)...Flat/slight hyzer release--The Z seemed to glide straight and slow for a long time before dropping down 6" from my target. It didn't seem to lose altitude until the last 10% of its flight, after which it dropped dead. The Pro D (both were Z & D were 177) came out of my hand similarly, but it started dropping about 50% through the flight and continued a slow descent ending 20' short of my target. The D also started fading slightly left as it dropped, where the Z held straight. I repeated this a couple times, results were always the same. If I got on the D a little more to compensate for the drop, it turned over slightly and didn't fade.

Conclusion? Pro D sucks. I imagine if it were beat a little it would fly better, but still not as well as the Z.

erb said:
what's the Z buzzz with "BUZZZ" in big letters in the middle, without the big Circle like the discraft.com shows?

How about the Z buzzz with nothing in the middle and "Discraft Buzzz" at the top and ".5 mid range driver" at the bottom?
The big BUZZZ letters in the middle is what I think of as the old production Buzzzes, somebody may have to correct me. That's what I have, and I have some that I think are 3 years old. The big circle ones are what I think of as new production Buzzzes.

The one with nothing in the middle...an experimental run of the old production Z? I would think it's the same as the big letter Buzzz...