• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wysoki vs. McBeth

Code:
All Tournaments  Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
2/20 Wintertime   B         1         
3/2 Memorial      NT        1        6
3/10 La Mirada    A  DGWT   1        2
3/18 St Patrick   A                  1
3/26 PureLine     C                  2
4/2 Mishawaka     A                  1
4/9 Jacksonville  A                  1
4/22 Nick Hyde    A         2         
4/28 Glass Blown  NT        2        2
5/5 Konopiste     A  DGWT   2         
5/6 Kansas City   NT                 1
5/20 Steady Ed    NT        2        1
5/27 St Jude      A                  1
6/2 Euro Open     A  DGWT   1        2
6/10 Beaver       NT        3        1
6/23 Vibram       NT DGPT  12        4
7/1 Delaware      A                  2
7/8 Silver Cup    A  DGPT            1
7/15 Estonian     A                  1
7/21 Euro Mst     M  DGWT   2        1

Code:
National Tour    Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
6/23 Vibram       NT       12        4

Code:
DG World Tour    Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
3/10 La Mirada   DGWT       1        2
5/5 Konopiste    DGWT       2         
6/2 Euro Open    DGWT       1        2
7/21 Euro Mst    DGWT       2        1

Code:
DG Pro Tour      Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
6/23 Vibram      DGPT      12        4
7/8 Silver Cup   DGPT                1

Code:
A Tiers          Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
3/10 La Mirada    A         1        2
5/5 Konopiste     A         2         
6/2 Euro Open     A         1        2
7/8 Silver Cup    A                  1

What are the final numbers?

Unlucky spit-out? What hole?

In my defense, that was after only watching it on Avery's phone on Facebook, as it happened, which is to say I couldn't see it at all. I mean, I could see that there were some people in a park, but I couldn't really make out much else. I definitely couldn't see something as detailed as a disc approaching a basket.

I was basically going on what Avery said and he said McBeth chained out and that it was quite dramatic. I could hear the crowd and it sounded quite dramatic. And I thought I saw McBeth react as if he chained out, or it was very, very close. I use "spit-out" as a synonym for "chain-out."

I call any sort of miss after hitting chains a "spit-out." And since it was a putt he usually makes at high percentage and since the stakes were so high, and since Avery said it was so close, I called it a very unlucky "spit-out."

I hadn't seen the slick HD DGWT video recap yet. After seeing the DGWT vid, his putt grazed the chains on the right and dropped on the right hand side of the basket. Still unlucky.

Code:

Code:
National Tour    Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
6/23 Vibram       NT       12        4

Code:
DG World Tour    Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
3/10 La Mirada   DGWT       1        2
5/5 Konopiste    DGWT       2         
6/2 Euro Open    DGWT       1        2
7/21 Euro Mst    DGWT       2        1

Code:
DG Pro Tour      Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
6/23 Vibram      DGPT      12        4
7/8 Silver Cup   DGPT                1

Code:
A Tiers          Tier     McBeth   Wysocki
3/10 La Mirada    A         1        2
5/5 Konopiste     A         2         
6/2 Euro Open     A         1        2
7/8 Silver Cup    A                  1

Excellent tables. Thanks for working on these.

Yeah, Rick's definitely got the edge this season. And it's not like going into the year, the top spot was unoccupied either. McBeth's performance in 2015 made him the consensus dominant player in the world, by a WIDE margin going into 2016. Anyone who disagreed with that assessment at the beginning of the season was just whistling Dixie. Rick had an awesome year last year, but he was very clearly second best to McBeth in 2015. Facts are facts. I wouldn't have batted an eye or thought any less of Rick as a golfer if McBeth's dominance continued in the same way this year. And after The Memorial, it looked like McBeth's dominance WAS set to continue well into 2016. Who could argue with that after McBeth took it down in Arizona and Rick finished way back in 6th?

Full respect to Rick, but I have no idea what flipped in him after The Memorial. I'd really love to know more about what he attributes his rise to. Most interviews with him are quite superficial and boilerplate. But I can definitely tell that he's extremely focused, intense and competitive. But, to be honest, he seemed that way last year too. So what changed?

People have pointed to various possible reasons behind McBeth's relative struggles, and those are a mystery too.

Whatever, the action's been great and it's been fun to watch and debate over. I just hope it continues!

Full respect to Rick, but I have no idea what flipped in him after The Memorial. I'd really love to know more about what he attributes his rise to. Most interviews with him are quite superficial and boilerplate. But I can definitely tell that he's extremely focused, intense and competitive. But, to be honest, he seemed that way last year too. So what changed?

Answering my own question, lol.

I just remembered the whole equipment thing. I have heard that he's finally settled with his equipment. I know that it's been an ongoing issue with him for a few years now but that due to professionalism and contractual obligations, I'm sure, he couldn't put really get into it publicly about the details behind his frustrations with his main sponsor's equipment.

That's gotta be a big factor in anyone's game, right? Being comfortable with your gear.

Of course then there's his improved consistency and his mental game this year, of which I've heard zilch about...

Ricky currently has the lowest standard deviation in his ratings among top pros, i.e., more consistent.

Excellent tables. Thanks for working on these.

People have pointed to various possible reasons behind McBeth's relative struggles, and those are a mystery too.

Agreed about the tables and the work put into them.

One thing is for sure: Wysocki has improved his putting tremendously. And that is one huge reason he's winning more now. And the flip side: McBeth has strugged a bit with his putting; it's still good but not the automatic from 50 feet (give or take :) ) like he was last year (2015).

Maybe Wysocki settling into his equipment is part of it, and maybe McBeth's comment lit a fire in Wysocki. And let's not forget a certain island green in Rock Hill, SC. I suspect THAT is where the fire got lit, like a 'slug' in an old coal-driven train locomotive.

Maybe McBeth's injuries are a factor in his play. But I also think that McBeth's 2015 season was just about magical, and maybe he's pressing too hard to duplicate it when that just might not be plausible?

But I also think that McBeth's 2015 season was just about magical, and maybe he's pressing too hard to duplicate it when that just might not be plausible?

I definitely think you're on to something there.

McBeth is the most talented, accomplished and highest rated player in the world. Not too much doubt about that. But even with all that, his 2015 has to still be considered a statistical anomaly. Kind of reminds me of Golden State's reg season records this last NBA season.

GS set the record for wins to start the season and total wins in the reg season. But when they got into the playoffs, they regressed to the mean. That's what I think is happening to McBeth in 2016.

McBeth's still having a sick season, but he has regressed to the mean. Of course his mean is a lot higher than everyone else's, like Golden State's.

Code:
[/CODE]

So, after this weekend, McBeth & Wysocki have played eight common tournaments in 2016. Each has three wins, they both tied for second at GBO and in The Vibram, Rick finished fourth and McBeth finished 12th. That's about as even as it gets considering their one on one match ups.

Rick's definitely been trending recently but the European Masters was about close to a draw as you could get. Great omen for the rest of the season.

I've always thought of Ricky not only a threat to Schusterick when they were teammates at Prodigy but a true DEEP threat to McBeth and potential World Title's. For whatever reason, Ricky is just smokin the courses like it was child's play. I missed him when he came through Sacramento to play the St. Paddy's Day Tourney at Shady Oaks.

I definitely think you're on to something there.

McBeth is the most talented, accomplished and highest rated player in the world. Not too much doubt about that. But even with all that, his 2015 has to still be considered a statistical anomaly. Kind of reminds me of Golden State's reg season records this last NBA season.

GS set the record for wins to start the season and total wins in the reg season. But when they got into the playoffs, they regressed to the mean. That's what I think is happening to McBeth in 2016.

McBeth's still having a sick season, but he has regressed to the mean. Of course his mean is a lot higher than everyone else's, like Golden State's.

Good analogy. For me the analogy is Tiger Woods's "Tiger Slam", when he held all four majors at once, though not in the same calendar year. He continued to be great, but other players rose up, and there was just no way Tiger could keep that torrid pace forever.

Everyone likes to make it a two horse race, but damn Eagle might just quickly leapfrog both Ricky and Paul within the next two years. He's already there with the top guys this soon and has all the tools and clearly hasn't even matured physically yet.

Everyone likes to make it a two horse race, but damn Eagle might just quickly leapfrog both Ricky and Paul within the next two years. He's already there with the top guys this soon and has all the tools and clearly hasn't even matured physically yet.

Agreed. His confidence is growing with each big event he plays, and he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. Gonna be fun to watch. I hope he rolls this Euro Masters performance into some lead card action at Worlds.

European Masters was only the first Major. If they split the tours (PT and WT), and Paul wins worlds, then it's really still up for grabs. Halfway point advantage? Ricky.

Still too early to call.

How is the DGWT "champion" determined? I don't know if there's s points winner, or if the USDGC winner gets it, or what, but right now, you have to say Ricky has a decent shot at sweeping the various "tour championships"...

National Tour - Ricky already has it locked up

Pro Tour - one and done tournament style at a course where Ricky won last year (I think he leads in the points standings thus far)

World Tour - don't know the format, but Paul has 2 wins, Ricky has 1, and Simon has 1 with just the USDGC left

American Tour! Throw it in for good measure -- Ricky won that too.

DGWT points/rankings from what I understand are used to determine qualifying for the championship event (USDGC). I believe the winner there is the DGWT Champion, I'm not sure if accolades for points are also given (I would guess yes, since there is a point purse as well as a $ purse listed).

A USDGC title for Ricky would be a strong step, but the "whisper number" really is that world title.

Agreed. The PDGA Tour is still the most prestigious tour in 2016. My bet, contingent upon at least one of the newcomer tours surviving, is that by 2019 that won't be so easily said.

I think ricky has a higher ceiling his body screams disc golf. Long and lenky. Paul is a beast and we will see his best still for years to come. I think they are pretty even but I do think Ricky has more room to grow in his game where Paul may not have that much higher to go. Just my opinion I love watching them both, I do pull for the beast though.

Don't sleep on Paul based on body type, the guy is actually really dang athletic. I don't much believe in body type being more than a "with all other things being equal" factor.

Last edited:

In my defense, that was after only watching it on Avery's phone on Facebook, as it happened, which is to say I couldn't see it at all. I mean, I could see that there were some people in a park, but I couldn't really make out much else. I definitely couldn't see something as detailed as a disc approaching a basket.

I was basically going on what Avery said and he said McBeth chained out and that it was quite dramatic. I could hear the crowd and it sounded quite dramatic. And I thought I saw McBeth react as if he chained out, or it was very, very close. I use "spit-out" as a synonym for "chain-out."

I call any sort of miss after hitting chains a "spit-out." And since it was a putt he usually makes at high percentage and since the stakes were so high, and since Avery said it was so close, I called it a very unlucky "spit-out."

I hadn't seen the slick HD DGWT video recap yet. After seeing the DGWT vid, his putt grazed the chains on the right and dropped on the right hand side of the basket. Still unlucky.

18 putt was a clear miss. McBeth's putter barely touched a chain. Nothing unlucky in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like them both but pulling more for Ricky. Smooth putter. Makes me question his driving decisions at times when he throws fh or bh when it seems easier to do the opposite.. probably stems from being fh dominate though. Another thing that made me scratch my head was his flirting with that Beast sign in an upshot.. Luckily he got a favorable kick.

Straight up missed the putt. Nothing unlucky about it. It barely tickled the right-side chains. Problem was Paul had the best drive in the center of the fairway and wound up outside the circle on his upshot.

Ricky has definitely improved, no doubt. Very impressive to see him confident and focused.
However, PM has typically lowered his scores and caught the field on the 4th round or even later.
The Euro Masters only had three rounds this year. Would Paul have won if it had been 4 rounds? We'll never know, but I would have bet on Paul to win by a few in the 4th.

You're quite the dancer... uncharacteristic for Paul to miss that putt in that situation? yes. unlucky? no.

I know right?! He makes it look easy to boot.