• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wysoki vs. McBeth

No, talent wise I'd put Wysocki, Geisinger, Lizotte, and Koling ahead of McBeth for sure.
McBeth is the most skilled.

I suspect we're getting into semantics as well as picking nits here. McBeth has athletic talent, as his high level baseball showed. Who in that list is most talented? People will debate that, fer sure... :popcorn:

People have pointed to various possible reasons behind McBeth's relative struggles, and those are a mystery too.
Struggles? McBeth's rating is higher than last year!

People want to talk about struggles? Let's talk about OG team Prodigy(minus Catrina). :popcorn:

I suspect we're getting into semantics as well as picking nits here. McBeth has athletic talent, as his high level baseball showed. Who in that list is most talented? People will debate that, fer sure... :popcorn:
Baseball is not a real athletic sport, half the guys chew tobacco while playing. Nate Doss played basketball at a high level which is a more athletic sport.

Talent is inherent ability.

Skill is learned ability.

The difference between Talent and Skill is hard work.

I guess I look at luck differently. If luck played no part in McBeth missing that putt, why did he miss? Did he mess up his physical and mental routine before the putt? I didn't notice anything. Unless he identified a specific mistake that he made that went into him missing that putt, I'm chalking it up to luck. Maybe he said he messed up his stance or his release or he entertained some negative thoughts that ruined his routine under such an intense moment and I didn't see it. If that's the case then I'll dismiss the luck factor.

I view McBeth missing a putt like that similar to when Steph Curry misses a free throw. If all the variables that go into that missed putt or that missed free throw are the same as the overwhelmingly huge percentage of those made putts or made free throws then what other variable is there to consider aside from luck?

So now you (I'ma gonna call you: Baryshnikov) can see negative thoughts? Good grief. The variable is us. Your brain. Check it out instead of spending time trying to defend what is so obviously a man crush... which is fine... I have one on Paul as well(Rick too), we all should, the guys a beast... so much so that I'm willing to bet that he would chalk the missed putt in question up to a mental lapse. He most certainly would not blame his luck, he makes his own luck and to argue otherwise is pretty offensive to someone who works as hard as he does. and he does.

and if you only look at the surface, you only get shallow analysis...

LOL :wall::wall::wall:

Ricky has been playing well every year! He has been battling with McBeth every year almost every tournament for 1st place.

The bias is real. Your post shows it.

Yep, you got me, just like those videos with the text frames saying "THIS JUST DESTROYED THAT"

lol, please.

Baseball is not a real athletic sport, half the guys chew tobacco while playing. Nate Doss played basketball at a high level which is a more athletic sport.

I am not meaning to disparage him, since he is an amazing guy and golfer but, "High Level"?

He played high school basketball, and I am sure he was good, it was a good team. But the starting point in my mind for high level would be a Div 1 college sport.

Old anecdote - an old lady goes up to John Kruk in the early 90's after a game while he's got a huge wad of dip in his cheek and says "you're an athlete, you shouldn't be doing that."

And Kruk replies "I'm not an athlete, I'm a baseball player."

I am not meaning to disparage him, since he is an amazing guy and golfer but, "High Level"?

He played high school basketball, and I am sure he was good, it was a good team. But the starting point in my mind for high level would be a Div 1 college sport.
McBeth only had high hopes to play college baseball. Never actually did play.

I think Wiggins probably has more talent for baseball(and disc golf) than McBeth.

By your metric I'm a far superior talent than all these chumps except maybe Ben Askren, I broke a couple D1 school records.

I broke a couple D1 school records.

Didn't we all?? This is the internet, after all.

I love the Beast vs. Socki debate. It's Ken vs. Barry all over again. Who's the best right this second? Who cares. It is simply some of the most exciting disc golf I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I cannot wait to see what unfolds over the next few years. :clap:

If you buy the notion that Ricky W. has meltdowns, typically during the last round of tournaments, you can't argue that he hasn't figured out how to overcome them and stay strong. I've seen a coule of one or two hole melts, at least by my definition, only to see him come out stronger after. By that measure, Ricky has grown mentally. I think even he has commented on this if I recall.

Last year Paul's putting was what did it for him, this year Ricky is returning the favor. Worlds and USDGC are going to be very very interesting.

The weakness that I see in Paul's game is that he often doesn't really crank it up until after one or two rounds. In a three round format, that doesn't leave much time.

Personally, I'm rooting for Eagle next year, or maybe Barsby....

Everyone likes to make it a two horse race, but damn Eagle might just quickly leapfrog both Ricky and Paul within the next two years. He's already there with the top guys this soon and has all the tools and clearly hasn't even matured physically yet.

Agreed. His confidence is growing with each big event he plays, and he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. Gonna be fun to watch. I hope he rolls this Euro Masters performance into some lead card action at Worlds.

I believe a lot of people are sleeping on Bradley. He is the one who could sneak up and win Worlds. He has been playing some amazing golf this summer. But I understand he is not as popular as others.

I love the Beast vs. Socki debate. It's Ken vs. Barry all over again. Who's the best right this second? Who cares. It is simply some of the most exciting disc golf I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing. I cannot wait to see what unfolds over the next few years. :clap:

Absolutely. These kind of rivalries are exactly what a fledgling sport need. It's been awesome to watch and I hope it never ends.

The weakness that I see in Paul's game is that he often doesn't really crank it up until after one or two rounds. In a three round format, that doesn't leave much time.

McBeth is definitely known for his slow starts. It's one of the thing that made his 2015 season so amazing to me, how many times he won while running off the pace.

That's why I think last week was a strong signal of a possible of return of McBeth's best form. The arc of the 2016 Euro Masters mirrored the arc of many of McBeth's signature wins in 2015: a slow start followed by a slow-building charge and then ending with a sick, insanely-rated, almost error-free final round frequently resulting with a win.

Personally, I'm rooting for Eagle next year, or maybe Barsby....

Eagle's got a ton of upside. He's on the cusp. He was very impressive last week.

I like Barsby but didn't he miss a long stretch last year with a serious elbow injury? Did he have surgery? I'd like to know how healthy his elbow was before I placed any futures bets on him.

I believe a lot of people are sleeping on Bradley. He is the one who could sneak up and win Worlds. He has been playing some amazing golf this summer. But I understand he is not as popular as others.

If you win The Vibram, you deserve maximum respect and you're at the top of the game.

Everyone knows BW's old rep but he did a very interesting and revealing interview a week or two after The Vibram on a podcast (of course I can't remember which one now lol - I think it was FRR, but don't quote me.)

Anyway, in the interview BW explained his old behavior that built up to the basket kicking incident and suspension, etc. He basically explained that he has, for good, left behind this old churlish, me-against-the-world attitude and that he is now, basically, a normal, mature competitor.

I'd tend to believe him because I think it's basically impossible to win a tournament as difficult, intense and prestigious as The Vibram if you don't have your head straight and balanced.

Didn't we all?? This is the internet, after all.

With the Socki bomb on top of his game, McBeast the #1 player in the world and guys like Philo, Doss, Feldy, Big Jerm, Simon (when he comes back from his injury) and many more, Disc Golf is going to be well taken for the next decade or so.

And the kids coming up like Anthony Barela, it should continue for decades past that.

And let's not forget Master's and Grandmaster's divisions. We can still see a 12X World Champ and a 2X World/3X US Champ still slinging the discs at a pretty high level, competitively.

Agree with this 100%. He's used to the Texas-style open golf that Worlds has on tap. Gonna be fun to see him push everyone and mix up the conversation a bit.

Latest posts