• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Putter

Midnightbiker said:
I have good drivers and mids, but I have yet to find a "Putt and Approach" disc that I really like. I like the Banger and Soft Magnet, but they don't approach good for me over 40 ft. I have tried other putters that approach good, but are bad on the short putts ( like XD's). I can't say that I have tried a Wizard yet, and I see many of you guys talking about them.

What putter do you use and why do you use it? What does that putter do for you? I am hoping by reading some of these, I might be able to make a better putter decision. Thanks for your input.
Bangers are in the class of stable putters that hold a line well on a full power throw. I am entrenched as a Wizard guy, but I can drive shorter holes with my friend's Banger GT almost as well.

Rather than looking for the ultimate putter, I'd suggest spending a couple weeks throwing only the Banger during your casual rounds, or picking up a stack and taking them to the field to throw for distance. If you can't throw the Banger at least 200ft and get it to hold the line all the way, I don't believe switching putters is going to be effective.

Throwing a putter is all about a smooth release and not a lot of arm speed. You want to get it to come out with a lot of snap but not a lot of velocity. My favorite distance throw with a putter is like this: High in the air with good hyzer aimed slightly to the right. The disc will want to flatten out as it reaches it's apex, cruise for a while on a straight line, then fade gradually into the landing zone. Not only is this a satisfying shot to throw, but it is practical on a lot of holes.

Beetard said:
Get a wizard, MNB. You're always asking for a disc that goes straight with no fade. The wizard is as close as it gets.

I am hopeing to have one by the end of the week.

Eric O said:
Rather than looking for the ultimate putter, I'd suggest spending a couple weeks throwing only the Banger during your casual rounds, or picking up a stack and taking them to the field to throw for distance. If you can't throw the Banger at least 200ft and get it to hold the line all the way, I don't believe switching putters is going to be effective.
I agree with that. Sure you can try out tons of putters, keep the ones that work the best for you for each situation and slightly improve your game, but I find it's much more effective to learn to do it all with one good putter and greatly improve your game.

Midnightbiker said:
roman said:
What are the Banger and Soft Magnets doing for you outside of 40ft that you don't like?

The Banger is too over stable and the Soft Magnet is had to predict. Sometimes over-stable, sometimes under-stable.

If you find the Banger to be too overstable, you will probably not like the wizard either, in terms of flight the banger & Wizard are very close. However I firmly believe that if you keep throwing either of them you will grow to love em. And they just get sweeter and straighter with age.

If you still want something a little less stable but not as squirrelly as your soft magnets, maybe try a warlock or an Aviar PnA

If the Banger and the Wizard are so simiular, why does the Wizard seem to be on the top of everyone's list?

Midnightbiker said:
If the Banger and the Wizard are so simiular, why does the Wizard seem to be on the top of everyone's list?

Here's my guesses

-The wizard has been out for way longer
-Most people dont like the groove top
-Gateway has nicer plastics

I've been trying to work an Omega Driver into my bag, but I find myself relying on my old standard...the 11x KC Pro Aviar. I use it for all putts and almost all approaches within 200'. I prefer a stiff & stable putter...I believe it's easier to get a clean release with stiff discs, as they don't seem to bend with the power of your throw.

As for using different putters for different shots...if that's what works for you, go for it. Personally, I like to use a heavy, stiff, stable big-bead Aviar on all approaches...I just adjust the angle of release and amount of power to hit different lines.

My go-to 11x Aviar has a sunken-in top, which gives it a mini-thumb track feel. It's saps a little glide, but I kinda prefer having to "muscle" the disc on an upshot. I feel that not having to worry about tons of glide gives me more control over how far my disc will fly (this is only true for me on approaches...glide is my friend on drives).

Use whatever putter feel the most comfortable for you...the most important part is to practice with it extensively until you can make it fly on all kinds of lines.

APX...mmmmm mmm love me some APXs.

Used to keep an ESP banger in my bag for driving. It just takes up space, now. I drive with the APX, I approach with the APX, I putt with the APX...it's just such a nice disc. If I DO put the banger back in, it's JUST because it's blowing like crazy out and I don't want to have to drive an APX into a gale.

I have been using a Wizard for almost my entire DG lifespan...about two and a half out of three years. I've auditioned other putters for the main slot (Warlocks & Magics), but I keep coming back to the Wiz. There's just something about the feel of it in my hands and the way that a flat brisk release produces a laser beam flight from 25ft and in. Also, the different S plastics and firmnesses available from Gateway allow me to cover every conceivable putter need with the same mold. For putts outside of the circle, I'll either hyzer putt with the Wizard, or jump putt with a Magic.

I'm really liking the Wizard/Magic combo and think I'll stick with it. No more messing with my putters! :p

sleepy

beat-in straight Shark for 200'-150' shots
near-retirement flippy XD for 100' anhyzer approaches
various Wizards for short approaches of differing angles, distances, gaps, etc

use ONE stable putter at various stages of wear. Challenger, aviar, or wiz

174 Pro Rhyno & 168 S Warlock

I really like them both. Rhyno is picky about nose angle for me though, very reliable for short to medium up shots. The Warlock fits my hand very nicely and fits my pitch style of putting. I am, however, tempted to pick up a Wizard after reading the many cudos it receives.

The Natural said:

I agree with this.

My personal choice is the wizard. It does every shot you will ever need.

The Natural said:
IMO, having the ability to do that is extremely important. Some people choose not to do this, but a vast majority of the sucessful ones that choose not to still have the ability to follow this philosophy.

Frank_Delicious said:
The Natural said:

I agree with this.

My personal choice is the wizard. It does every shot you will ever need.

My choice is the challenger, but really anything that is "stable" will work it's just what feels best. My game jumped to a new level when I started doing this. I just wish I had gave in and did it sooner.

garublador said:
IMO, having the ability to do that is extremely important. Some people choose not to do this, but a vast majority of the sucessful ones that choose not to still have the ability to follow this philosophy.

man, you just solved DGR. i think this is applicable to minimalism in general.

... or did i just advocate style and non-conformity?

Latest posts