• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Putter

The Natural said:
Frank_Delicious said:
The Natural said:
use ONE stable putter at various stages of wear. Challenger, aviar, or wiz

I agree with this.

My personal choice is the wizard. It does every shot you will ever need.

My choice is the challenger, but really anything that is "stable" will work it's just what feels best. My game jumped to a new level when I started doing this. I just wish I had gave in and did it sooner.
the challenger and wiz are pretty interchangable for me, some differences ive noticed lately though

challengers will travel farther on lower lines (on drives) than a wiz and can handle more snap without turning over

Wizards are a fair amount better for putting/approaching into a headwind as the challenger seems to be more likely to turn over in these situations

Challengers can perform a touch anny shot a tad better than a wiz (neither is actually good for the shot though)

Wizards seem to have more low speed glide (putting) where the Challenger seems to want to fall out of the air at lower speeds

FOR ME the wizard seems to release cleaner from a fan grip (upshots) than a challenger, I think this is due to the wiz being a bit lower profile than the Challenger

ZAMson said:
man, you just solved DGR. i think this is applicable to minimalism in general.
I don't know about the "just" part. Blake's been saying basically the same thing for as long as I've been on here.

I have had an aviar magic magnet and wizard and was pretty much just as good with any of them I just think the wizard is more comfortable so I only throw wizards now

well I disagree a little bit here. I throw a pro challenger for long aproach and short drives. then my star aviar for shorter putts. If you do go with one putter, make sure you gotta back up of that putter incase of a disc challenge on the course.

I've been throwing Pro Rhynos for years now. Nicely beat, 170ish. However, I recently realized that from within 40 feet, there is practically no reason for the overstability that a pro rhyno has, unless I'm putting in the wind. So I was on the search for something a little less stable. I tried some Champion Aviars......ehhh. I tried some Wizards......ehhh. Threw a Banger, a Birdie, an Aero, ehhhh. Then BLURR sends me 4 beat up Pro Challengers to try out. MONEY. These are the discs I've been waiting for. Immediately shaved strokes off my next league tournament.

Here's the thing, of COURSE I'm going to keep one beat Pro Rhyno for headwind putting and straight upshots. I'm also keeping my beat Champion Rhyno for sidearm puts and upshots. But my new <40' putter is the Pro Challengers.

Hope you find a disc that works for you. Remember, there are discs that don't require you to anny putt or throw big rainbow hyzers.

I just picked up a Magnet on eBay from the 3rd Annual Kensington Invitational, dated September 30, 2001. On eBay it was advertised as a Soft Mag, and it is soft. Although, it is not as soft as current stock Soft Mags, but not as hard as a regular Magnet, it's in-between. I can't wait to break this baby out this weekend. I tend to seek out tourney stamped Soft Mags as they tend to be a tad stiffer through the middle and soft at the rim, this baby is going to be money, I can tell.
And of course let me take this opportunity to shout out for tourney stamped Soft Mags; you guys out in the Mid West see more of these than this Discraft junkie stuck out west in innovaland. White or blue preferred, and I will do paypal.
Peace

Just changed my answer here. Thanx to this community, I bought a wizard ealy this week. Its now the end of the week and I replaced all my putters with wizards. E and S Wizards. Man they rock. :wink:

I have been using Magnets gor about 2 months and really liking them.

But today, I went back to my old stand bys for fun, a 9x and 10x aviar and I put in a freshy DX BB from 96. Good ole stiff DX with an awesome stamp.

I putt with a medium wizard. It is a very early run from about 6 years ago. I like it for several reasons. Number one reason is that it is very comfortable in my hand. Two it is very straight. Three it is pretty good in the wind.

For the past three years my go to utility disc (short drives and approaches) has been a beat in first run goblin. This without a doubt is the most valuable disc in my bag and was thrown more times last weekend at Paw Paw than any other disc including my putter.

Having said that, I recently picked up a Quest Rock-it that is very impressive as a finesse driver and approach disc. It feels great, is extremely controllable and has more length than any other blunt nose disc I've ever thrown. For the time being the goblin still holds the slot but if the rock-it stands the test of time I may make the rock-it my go to disc.

I've switched a few times but right now I use a soft magnet for approach shots ~100 ft. and in and a hard magnet for putts ~40 ft. and in. I also use a flx challenger for hyzer putts that really need to get around something.

I have a Soft Magnet that is getting pretty worn, and I keep coming back to it. That disc just feels great in my hand, and goes where I send it. Its really starting to lower my scores, not that its broken in. It looks like hell, but works great.

Midnightbiker said:
I have a Soft Magnet that is getting pretty worn, and I keep coming back to it. That disc just feels great in my hand, and goes where I send it. Its really starting to lower my scores, not that its broken in. It looks like hell, but works great.

my brother has a soft magnet that has been his exclusive putter (and main approach disc) for about two years and it is the most beat to crap ugly disc i've seen, but he loves it.

I agree with the "stick with one putter in different wear stages", and also with the minimalism philosophies. With good spin/snap my firm wizard is dead nuts straight 225' and in.

When I bring a new one into my "wizard circle of life" it may fade right to left a few feet but after I drill the nickel high or the basket low from outside 100' a few times that goes away.

Then when it starts to flip on 150-200' approach shots it becomes my long anny approach/inside the circle putter.

Thats as far as I've gotten with the circle of life in a year and a half of heavy use. Wizards get better with age, they may look a little rough but still fly perfect.

aviar classic thats worn in, but i got a wiz coming to test waters

Latest posts