• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1000 Different Holes in 3 Days

We did 237 in 19 hours. 1000 sounds pretty ambitious :) How much time would you spare for sleep each day? Cant really go without, or it will be agony. Got to have fun doing it.

Even with 600+ courses in Finland, they are not necessarily right next to each other. And you have to avoid the busy courses at rush hour too.

I think Finland could challenge the Twin Cities for the Different Holes in One Civil Twilight record. Here is a graph showing the courses in the Twin Cities and at the same scale, a place in Finland centered on 61.10914, 23.93552 that has slightly more holes.

attachment.php

The size of each dot represents the number of holes at the same course in the Twin Cities, and the number of holes in the same city for Finland.

Note the footprint is about the same. Plus, you'll have 3 hours and 43 minutes more daylight to work with.

As for busy courses, just yell "setting a world record" and play through. You'll be gone before anyone has time to get too angry.

Attachments

• MNvFinland.png
    MNvFinland.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 129
Does playing long and short tees count as 2 different holes?

No one who has claimed the record has done that. Unique tee to unique target is one unique hole. Permanent enough that someone could come along later and play the same hole.

I know a guy who does speed golf. He said he once played Idlewild short 18 in 38min. My legs hurt just thinking about it...
I did Idlewild in 34min this year, all 24 holes. The next two took 41 and 42 so I barely managed 3 rounds in 2 hours. Best times in Cinci area courses:
Lincoln: 26 min 24 holes
Airy: 25 min 20 holes
Osage: 22 min 18 holes
Woodland: 11 min 18 holes
Amelia: 6 min 9 holes
Williamsburg: 13 min 20 holes
Owensville 4.3 min 9 holes
All of these could be beat pretty easily if I was in better shape. Point is, a good athlete could do a hole per minute on an average course all day long. 1000 in 3 days is certainly reachable, from a physical standpoint. Routing and travel are the only problems.

I think Finland could challenge the Twin Cities for the Different Holes in One Civil Twilight record. Here is a graph showing the courses in the Twin Cities and at the same scale, a place in Finland centered on 61.10914, 23.93552 that has slightly more holes.

attachment.php

The size of each dot represents the number of holes at the same course in the Twin Cities, and the number of holes in the same city for Finland.

Note the footprint is about the same. Plus, you'll have 3 hours and 43 minutes more daylight to work with.

As for busy courses, just yell "setting a world record" and play through. You'll be gone before anyone has time to get too angry.

Dude. You are the graph king. Where did you get this? Alas, I have little trouble decoding without any reference point/scale. Here is a current map from the national registry in Finland:
https://frisbeegolfradat.fi/frisbeegolfradat-kartalla/ Your coordinates seem to be a little south of Tampere, and yeah it does look like there is a fair number of courses there. The epicenter is not too far away from where I live and looks kind of like extension of the most northern point we reached the last time around.

If there was a way to calculate the shortest/fastest route between these courses I might be persuaded to try and break the previous record. Challenge potentially accepted :D

Theres ample time to plan. 20th -23rd June is the time Tampere area has the most hours of sunlight (19,5 hours, as that is Midsummer/Solstice). That would have to be it. Of course, north of Rovaniemi you would have 24hrs of sunlight but the number of courses is drastically lower.

As someone who has found great joys in running marathons and other endurance type activities, this does not appeal to me one bit.

Not counting the fact that my arm is shot after 36 holes in a day, this feels like too much work. I think it would give me something to dislike about the game, and that is something I'd like to avoid.

Dude. You are the graph king. Where did you get this? Alas, I have little trouble decoding without any reference point/scale. Here is a current map from the national registry in Finland:
https://frisbeegolfradat.fi/frisbeegolfradat-kartalla/ Your coordinates seem to be a little south of Tampere, and yeah it does look like there is a fair number of courses there. The epicenter is not too far away from where I live and looks kind of like extension of the most northern point we reached the last time around.

If there was a way to calculate the shortest/fastest route between these courses I might be persuaded to try and break the previous record. Challenge potentially accepted :D

Theres ample time to plan. 20th -23rd June is the time Tampere area has the most hours of sunlight (19,5 hours, as that is Midsummer/Solstice). That would have to be it. Of course, north of Rovaniemi you would have 24hrs of sunlight but the number of courses is drastically lower.

I got the names and cities of the courses from the same place. I looked up the coordinates of each city. Muonio, Inari, Imatra, and Vehmaa are near the corners of this chart.

What route did you take last time?

I'd need to get the actual longitude and latitude, #holes, city, and name of each course in Finland. Then we can pick a general area and a preliminary route. I can find the shortest route as the crow flies, and then we'd need to use Google maps to see how long the driving will take and adjust accordingly.

At that point, the record-seekers should start playing each course to verify it exists, learn where to park, etc.

I know I am physically up for this, and I have a throwing motion that does not fatigue my arm in the least, but the logistics would still be a nightmare. I would need a driver who would drop me off at the best place to get in and off the course, which is not always Hole One (think Kaposia). I would need someone who would tail near me or run up ahead to ensure that I do not have down time looking for discs or would have to wait to play through. We might have to be willing to skip a Hole here or there, maybe even a few holes, just to get off the course quicker. Food and drink would have to be prepared beforehand. The best day for this might not necessarily be the longest day, especially a Friday. The route would have to travel against traffic, not with it. A second car might be needed because we are talking almost constant driving, so relief, going ahead to prep/scout a course, get emergency supplies, and or allowing the driver of the first car to get a breather may be necessary.

In the end, it is more about the support the player gets that makes or breaks such a record attempt.

The last attempt I made like this was on a 28 hole course in the middle of winter with the average hole length over 300. I did 263 over 29 hours. I never would have made it that far if my friend was not throwing along with me. He made it 252. Without him, it would have been a chore not worth undertaking. Such an attempt as described in this thread would be impossible, both mentally and physically without the help of at least three or four other people.

Side note - I would likely only throw a EMac Truth and Pure all day. Score does not matter, but staying in the fairway does. Being a little short but online with the basket requires less running than being wide and deep in the woods. If I feel I need a driver, maybe a T3.

Oh wow. Those 4 cities cover almost all of Finland. To drive between the 4 would take already about 19hrs already :D I will talk to you on Facebook.

Sounds about right. "Almost all" of Finland is "about half" of Minnesota. Of course, in the Twin Cities there are four- to six-lane 60mph highways everywhere.

Anyway, the trick is not to drive to all four, just a path through a lot of courses.

Side note - I would likely only throw a EMac Truth and Pure all day. Score does not matter, but staying in the fairway does. Being a little short but online with the basket requires less running than being wide and deep in the woods. If I feel I need a driver, maybe a T3.

under-rated piece of info here. I can imagine several of my friends trying to do some sort of speed round and having all sorts of issues due to rushing a tee shot and ending up in a worse position because of it!

I see many posters talking about number of hours of daylight, is there a reason you can't just put lights on your discs and keep playing in the dark? Would that somehow negate the record? 3 days is 72 hours that's only 14 holes per hour average. I think with a nap here and there, food between courses this could be done without too much difficulty. That said, I have no interest in trying this. I like to enjoy nature while i am out in it, not just rush through.

It would be a brand-new record, so you can make a record for daylight hours, civil twilight hours, or for all hours. However, you'd need to get special permission to play after dark in parks which close after sunset or 10 pm or whenever. You can't break laws when you are setting a record.

I'd think the cleanest record would be Shortest Time to Play 1000 Distinct Disc Golf Holes. Start the timer at the first throw, stop the timer at the last putt. Sleep as much as you want.

I wonder what the current fastest time to play 1000 distinct holes is? Probably belongs to a course bagger who got about 100 courses in a row on a trip.

It would be a brand-new record, so you can make a record for daylight hours, civil twilight hours, or for all hours. However, you'd need to get special permission to play after dark in parks which close after sunset or 10 pm or whenever. You can't break laws when you are setting a record.

I'd think the cleanest record would be Shortest Time to Play 1000 Distinct Disc Golf Holes. Start the timer at the first throw, stop the timer at the last putt. Sleep as much as you want.

I wonder what the current fastest time to play 1000 distinct holes is? Probably belongs to a course bagger who got about 100 courses in a row on a trip.

You make a good point about park hours. I am a little spoiled since my home course (Cedar Hills Rotary) technically closes at 9 but the gate will open to let you out when you pull your car up to it. So it is not unheard of for us to play late without any hassles from authorities.

Latest posts