• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

Got to looking around some more and they also have some Opto Air Rivers and 157ish Neutron Relays.

157 Relays would be awesome!!!

I can get a lot done with a couple relays.. Full haha bag could be a 155/7g a 165 and a cosmic 165.. Then a volt maybe but the cosmic does it. 155 relays are f###n cool$

Love to ThrowaEnvy too, damn I'm a sucker for a pun and shameless endorsement. Be curious how it works out.

I could seriously fill a bag with envy's and relays or possibly teslas... the 155's are nuts awesome. Span your weights and fill a bag. Crazy what you can do with an ultralight tesla. I know a real old dude here, throws polecats, leopards, stingrays etc.. Has a 145 (143?) that is insane, his tesla added 50-70' on his game. Personal results may vary. His first gyro..

I could do 3 and 3.. 3 envy maybe 4 :D and 3 drivers either relay or tesla and play to win.

Last edited:
Disc golf rich. I like it.

I tried to find some 150 class drivers for a friend recently. She tops out around speed 9 and every time she loses one of her irreplaceable starlight valks is a dark day. All I could find were some 150 dx leopards at GGGT.

Not valks, but both MSDG and Disc Golf Center have light OLFs. The ones I got from MS were early run zippertops.

Hero still has teebirds and banshees from the last JO (2011?).

I wish I could find a speed 7 or 8 driver that was controllably understable and available in 155-162 gram weights.

I'd expect the sidewinders will beat in nicely. Similar, but slower, would be a JLS. Millennium pro shop has a stack of base and star x-outs currently.

I'd expect the sidewinders will beat in nicely. Similar, but slower, would be a JLS. Millennium pro shop has a stack of base and star x-outs currently.

Speaking of Millennium, I love the Polaris LS for controllable 7 to 8 speed. It's the longest disc for me when I'm forced to throw dead straight with no run-up.

Big thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. Some of the discs I have tried in the past, and some might be worth a re-try. For other suggested discs I will need to do some research. Lots of promising options, so I hope at least one fits the slot.

Thanks again!

Received an order of VIP Air Hatchets and GL Orbit Diamonds today. Squeezed in a few tosses before it started to rain, mostly into a decent headwind.

159 VIP Air Hatchet: Really liked how this flew. Turned a bit into the headwind, but remained under control. With a little more hyzer it flipped to flat, finishing with a baby fade. Out of the box, the Air Hatchet flew just like the seasoned mid-160s Tournament Hatchets that I bagged for years, until I switched back to 150s drivers. This is exactly what I was looking for, so thanks to whoever recommended them (must have been a different thread).

Weather does not look promising for the next few days, but I can't wait to test these out on the course.

152 GL Orbit Diamond: These turned significantly into a headwind. Shocker, I know. :rolleyes: Thinking these may be more understable than what I am looking for, but we shall see.

Looking forward to loading up my bag with understable fairway drivers to see which disc emerges victorious :D

25 pages and no mention of the Jade? I happily pair mine with a Sapphire. The Jade is thrown in calm and tail winds, both fh and bh, with a hyzer angle of both sides. The Sapphire is thrown when faced with light headwinds and when I want a harder fade. I still carry a couple of drivers in the 170's for blustery winds.

25 pages and no mention of the Jade? I happily pair mine with a Sapphire. The Jade is thrown in calm and tail winds, both fh and bh, with a hyzer angle of both sides. The Sapphire is thrown when faced with light headwinds and when I want a harder fade. I still carry a couple of drivers in the 170's for blustery winds.

Jade is a good suggestion, thank you. Do you have a particular plastic that you like?

I have been close to trying the Jade several times, but was put off by descriptions of it being more stable than expected for noodle-arms. I am looking for an understable companion to the Star TL that is easy to flip up at my less-than-awesome distance, but remains controllable when turned over and finishes with minimal fade.

I like the Sapphire very much. When the 30 mph wind dies down I want to test Air Hatchet vs. GL Orbit Diamond in the understable fairway slot, and the Fission Insanity vs. Sapphire in the stable-ish distance slot.

Should be an interesting round. :D

Sorry, Fission Wave (not Fission Insanity). Sorry, ThrowaEnvy. ;)

Jade is a good suggestion, thank you. Do you have a particular plastic that you like?

I have been close to trying the Jade several times, but was put off by descriptions of it being more stable than expected for noodle-arms. I am looking for an understable companion to the Star TL that is easy to flip up at my less-than-awesome distance, but remains controllable when turned over and finishes with minimal fade.

I like the Sapphire very much. When the 30 mph wind dies down I want to test Air Hatchet vs. GL Orbit Diamond in the understable fairway slot, and the Fission Insanity vs. Sapphire in the stable-ish distance slot.

Should be an interesting round. :D

I'm getting exactly the flight you want from my beat in Goldline Jade. I favor Goldline both for its grip and how it breaks in. My experience is that my Sapphires are consistently and noticeably more overstable than my Jades. Jades are considerably more stable than a Diamond, and Diamonds are much too understable for my experienced noodlearm. I think we need to develop a graduated noodlearm scale: angel hair, sphagetti, fettucini, rotini, udon, lasagna.

Sorry, Fission Wave (not Fission Insanity). Sorry, ThrowaEnvy. ;)

Oh man, I was like what what? I was gonna start looking. :D

What weight is your Wave?

I almost choked on my lunch when I read fission insanity. Couldn't believe I missed that release, I'd have been alllllll over those. I frickin love insanities.

Then I read further.

Dam lol

I'm getting exactly the flight you want from my beat in Goldline Jade. I favor Goldline both for its grip and how it breaks in. My experience is that my Sapphires are consistently and noticeably more overstable than my Jades. Jades are considerably more stable than a Diamond, and Diamonds are much too understable for my experienced noodlearm.

Excellent description, thank you! I will keep an eye out for GL Jades.

I think we need to develop a graduated noodlearm scale: angel hair, sphagetti, fettucini, rotini, udon, lasagna.

I suggest "al dente" for a reasonably firm noodle arm. :D

Spring bag update: Carried 11 discs today, which maxes out my trusty Squirrel Monkey. Everything in the bag gets thrown BH and FH.

Distance:
157 Neutron Wave: Main distance driver, very straight in the woods, flicks nicely
157 Fission Wave: Started out more stable vs. Neutron, but starting to beat in so I may need to replace with a fresh one or switch back to GL Sapphire.

Fairway:
157 Star TL: Nearly stable, but starting to break in
157 Plasma Insanity: Back in the bag, and much missed. Highly versatile
157 G* Roadrunner: Seems more reliable vs. Air Hatchet, which is a bit flippier

Midrange:
168 Neutron Reactor: Better at holding a hyzer and flexing out of an anny vs. the Hex
168 Neutron Hex: Still digging this disc for the neutral mid slot
169 Neutron Uplink: Not totally sold on this disc but in the bag for now

Putters:
171 Electron Soft Proxy: Main putter, understable approach
172 Electron Soft Envy: Stable approach disc, might become main putter once seasoned
172 Medium Harp: Overstable approach, headwind putts

Reactor did work yesterday. Hard hyzers, flex shots, straight to fades. I was worried that Reactor would overlap with the Hex, but they do different things well.

Played two rounds without the Uplink, and didn't really miss it. Electron Soft Envy and Proxy covered straight to understable "midrange" shots nicely.

Reactor did work yesterday. Hard hyzers, flex shots, straight to fades. I was worried that Reactor would overlap with the Hex, but they do different things well.

Played two rounds without the Uplink, and didn't really miss it. Electron Soft Envy and Proxy covered straight to understable "midrange" shots nicely.

Haha I went to play without the uplink yesterday (it was in my bag not the yardbox).... after a bunch of digging at work.. I thought time to commune with the envy get some power going.... I came back after 5 holes and traded in two envy for an uplink and a comet. Had a much better evening. Woof it's bad when me and the most beat plasma envy's I own aren't getting on :D

I can see the proxy filling that gap, good disc, can't stand the rim :) . I'm awaiting the fission tesla restock... building a crazy cart haha...

You're the only guy I know with a light uplink.. How far can you throw it straight? Is it always a hyzer release for you? Is there still that magic soft fade?

I'm kinda thinking of popping for a 183g I found rather than the 169. My 176 uplink is starting to be a real nice hyzer flip machine, about a 10-15 degree hyzer and it pushes straight "lofty" lazer for about 180' when I push 220 it's extra compensation time. Real distances probably 160 and 180 haha.. I can't see navigating that disc that light it will feel slightly better than than my 165 paradox :D

How's the plasma insanity? I see it there... "Trials space" or a skeptical "where have you been my whole life space" like you had to beat original insanity for 2 yrs before they did that?... I'm hearing good things about all the new plasma runs.

Last edited: