• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

You're the only guy I know with a light uplink.. How far can you throw it straight? Is it always a hyzer release for you? Is there still that magic soft fade?

Uplink was mostly hyzer flips, but I am not confident where it will go if I mash on it. If I don't mash on the Uplink, I can accomplish the same thing more reliably by just throwing a putter. :rolleyes:

So Uplink is out of the bag for now. Perhaps a heavier Uplink would fly more consistently? I will be interested to hear how the 183g Uplink flies for you.

How's the plasma insanity? I see it there... "Trials space" or a skeptical "where have you been my whole life space" like you had to beat original insanity for 2 yrs before they did that?... I'm hearing good things about all the new plasma runs.

Love love loving the new Plasma Insanity. Quickly broke in to where it drifts gently right on a flat throw, finishing with a gentle but reliable late fade. Current run matches the flight numbers to a tee, and I have been throwing it a ton.

Basically back to asking the question, "Is there a compelling reason NOT to throw a Plasma Insanity here?" :D

Just picked up and have been working with a 154 Opto Saint and a 156 VIP Underworld. The Saint screams. I have not quite figured out the Underworld yet. I throw a 154 VIP Air King as my primary driver.

Just picked up and have been working with a 154 Opto Saint and a 156 VIP Underworld. The Saint screams. I have not quite figured out the Underworld yet. I throw a 154 VIP Air King as my primary driver.

Hey, welcome to the 150s cult, ru4!

Never tried an Air King. Probably more disc than I should be throwing lol. :doh:

So Uplink is out of the bag for now. Perhaps a heavier Uplink would fly more consistently? I will be interested to hear how the 183g Uplink flies for you.

Probably like a wham-o on roids!!!!

I can do a 70 percent send on a 177 and with some downhill action it will fight further than a relay, if I get the right hyzer angle. It's always close, a month of wear is magical, not sure about a solid 3 months. It's doing what I need at 100' plus doubling as a putter or a fairway at 200+. I'm really digging a max weight I can throw, the carry is "different" and very long. I have to be something between clean and nose up sloppy.

Basically back to asking the question, "Is there a compelling reason NOT to throw a Plasma Insanity here?" :D

Good to know, Did you lose all your other insanity's? Or just shelve them for waves and forget you owned them... or just trip across a pretty new disc in the shop..?

Last edited:
Good to know, Did you lose all your other insanity's? Or just shelve them for waves and forget you owned them... or just trip across a pretty new disc in the shop..?

What is this "shop" of which you speak? ;)

Yes, I was down to one last Plasma Insanity, dark charcoal gray which I figured would not last long in the wild. Seemed like a good time to check out the competition. Best I found was the Air Hatchet, which reminds me of the Uplink - touchy, but capable of amazing things if thrown EXACTLY right.

Understable fairway drivers are my most-lost discs by a large margin, so I need a steady supply of back-ups. :\

I have just enough space in the yard to do full putter drives, so I'm pretty comfortable tossing putters out to 200' or so.

Last edited:
I was curious what discs have been in my bag the longest, so I checked this thread and searched by user name in some of the disc-specific threads.

2014: Harp
2015: Wave
2018: Insanity and Teebird-L

The rest of the bag has seen some changes over the years. :rolleyes:

In other news, I tested a 159 Fission Reactor and whoa, that disc is stable, glidey, and a ton of fun to throw. Now if they would just make a light Fission Hex . . . :D

Oh geez I was pondering a light fission reactor. Kind of revisited the hex tonight because of your post. It's been in the bag full time for FH but played it all BH tonight (mostly). It's been shelved in the back pouch because I'm dicking with the uplink too much. Goes straight, putts great... Hex was solid, and straight to stable with a comfy error margin.

I'm pretty happy with the 169 se hex, I hear some of the newer runs are softer and less stable, still heavy. I'm with you on a lighter hex. Damn thing autocorrect to straight from any angle close to it but when you want it to turn or hyzer it's still intuitive.

It's impressive you've had a harp that long, or a wave. It's nice to see the backbone of your bag hasn't changed much. I respect your TL decision.

Wombat3 back in the bag. I missed it for those putter-like hyzer flips that drift gently right.

Pretty happy with Reactor - Hex - Wombat3 for a midrange lineup.

But when the Streamline Echo is available I might give it a chance to bump the Wombat3

Late summer update: Testing some new discs that might shake up the bag. Everything gets thrown BH and FH. Ten discs total.

Switched to slower fairway drivers and I like the control in the woods. Haven't been throwing distance drivers as often, except on more open holes.

Distance:
157 Neutron Wave: Main distance driver, slightly understable and remarkably straight, flicks nicely
163 G-Blend Aztec: Tested today, and so far so good. Flies about as far as the Wave, but has a more reliable fade.
152 Fission Insanity: Understable but controllable, and just as long as my distance drivers so that's what I'm calling it. :p

Fairway:
157 Star TL: Nearly stable and workable.
162 Star Hawkeye: Neutral to slightly understable, versatile, and super-useful in the woods. Supposed to be an Innova FD but seems a bit more understable. Which annoyed me at first, but it has grown on me.

Midrange:
168 Neutron Reactor: Midrange version of the Star TL. I like having a mid and a fairway that fly the same lines.
171 Neo Origin: Midrange version of the Hawkeye. First toss with this disc was an ace so I have to give it a chance, right? So where is the Hex, hmmm? Um, in the trunk for now.:rolleyes: But if I was limited to one midrange, Hex would be it.

Putters:
171 Electron Soft Proxy: Main putter, understable approach. Thinking of replacing this with a well-seasoned Electron Soft Envy that I've been throwing in the yard for a while.
172 Electron Soft Envy: Straight-stable approach disc.
172 Medium Harp: Overstable approach, headwind putts

Interesting... do you have a lot of wind over your way? Looks like your bag has shifted more straight stable. I know you love your TL but does everything have to fly like it? :D

Is everything just that broken in? I checked the neo and that seems like it could fill a lot of slots but... fresh? I get it, the ace buys it at least 2 months but boy... if the proxy is falling by the way (yippee) for an envy, that seems like that fickle understable mid slot will rear it's ugly head later. Like I'm all for envy but it don't turn quite enough.. It will do 75% of proxy work though (and do it better) but that's why i can't putt my spin down... maybe you are holding out for a watt?!?

Respectfully it seems like a hole in your short game, I thought you were more "grown up" than that.. Where's your lid whippersnapper? :D

Interesting... do you have a lot of wind over your way? Looks like your bag has shifted more straight stable. I know you love your TL but does everything have to fly like it? :D

Heh. Usually not much wind when the trees are leafed out, so I'm mostly hyzer-flipping understable discs in the woods. I may go whole rounds without throwing the TL, Reactor, or Harp. But then I'll play a more open course on a breezy day and throw them a bunch.

Nice to have options.

Is everything just that broken in? I checked the neo and that seems like it could fill a lot of slots but... fresh? I get it, the ace buys it at least 2 months but boy... if the proxy is falling by the way (yippee) for an envy, that seems like that fickle understable mid slot will rear it's ugly head later. Like I'm all for envy but it don't turn quite enough.. It will do 75% of proxy work though (and do it better) but that's why i can't putt my spin down... maybe you are holding out for a watt?!?

TL and Wave are pretty broken in, and the Fission Insanity is nicely understable. I only have one round with the Origin but it seems neutral to slightly understable. Maybe it depends on plastic, I dunno. But I would say Reactor - Hex - Origin straddles neutral on the overstable to understable continuum.

Yeah I go back and forth between loving and hating super-flippy discs. Right now tossing a sidearm is usually more reliable than trying to get the perfect angle on something flippy. At least within my comfortable sidearm range, which is about backhand midrange distance. :rolleyes:

Respectfully it seems like a hole in your short game, I thought you were more "grown up" than that.. Where's your lid whippersnapper? :D

Haha. Guess I'll have to turn in my "old guy" card. If I can just remember where I left it. :D

Last edited:
If you need some more Aztecs let me know. I got a few to compete/replace my OP Northmen. Turns out I probably bought enough Northmen when they started to get scarce to last the rest of my life probably lol. I should have at least 3 g-blend laying around not getting thrown.

If you haven't tried a Maya they're worth looking into as well. I-blend are cheap and is currently my furthest flying disc. Basically Innova pro plastic but it holds up nicely ��

Last edited:
If you need some more Aztecs let me know. I got a few to compete/replace my OP Northmen. Turns out I probably bought enough Northmen when they started to get scarce to last the rest of my life probably lol. I should have at least 3 g-blend laying around not getting thrown.

Thanks for the generous offer - happy to reciprocate if I have anything you want.

[looks gift horse in mouth]How light are your Aztecs? ;)

If you haven't tried a Maya they're worth looking into as well. I-blend are cheap and is currently my furthest flying disc. Basically Innova pro plastic but it holds up nicely ��

Maya looks intriguing, thanks for the recommendation!

Apparently I have more of them than I thought :eek:

3 G-blend: 168, 169 and 171

2 I-blend: 170 and 171

2 Metal flake C-blend: 167 and 173

1 S-blend: 168

None in your preferred weights unfortunately, far from it actually.

I need to stop buying so many discs :D

Mid-winter update: Picked up a G* Leopard3 and I am hoping it becomes my understable fairway driver (need to order some backups, tho). For years my fairway combo was DX Teebird and Champ Leopard, so Leopard3 and TL feel very comfortable.

Tried to order some more 150s Aztecs, but Infinite says they are unlikely to run them again for something like two years. I ain't waiting two years for backups, eff that. Plus, recent runs of Neutron Waves are pretty stable.

So I have been able to simplify my bag a bit. Usually carry 9 to 12 discs, depending on the course.

Distance:
157 Neutron Wave: Main distance driver, slightly understable and remarkably straight, flicks nicely. On windy days I may add a more beefy N Wave.
153 Fission Insanity: Understable but controllable, and just as long as my distance drivers so that's what I'm calling it.

Fairway:
157 Star TL: Nearly stable and workable.
152 G* Leopard: New to the bag and predictably understable, so I'm testing whether the Star Hawkeye still has a role.

Midrange:
167 Neutron Hex: Do-it-alll stable and workable midrange. Sometimes I carry a Reactor instead, and sometimes I carry both. Still working that out.
171 Neo Origin: Neutral to understable. I use this often for woods approaches that are beyond putter range.

Putters:
171 Electron Soft Proxy: Main putter, understable approach.
172 Electron Soft Envy: Straight-stable approach disc.
172 Medium Harp: Overstable approach, headwind putts

Looks good! I don't see a rhythm... what was the story on those?

False advertising! ;)

For me, the Rhythm was more of a turn-and-fade disc than a hyzer-flip-to-straight disc. Not a bad disc, just not what I was looking for.

And definitely not a 7 5 -2 1 flight, at least not for me. :doh:

False advertising! ;)

For me, the Rhythm was more of a turn-and-fade disc than a hyzer-flip-to-straight disc. Not a bad disc, just not what I was looking for.

And definitely not a 7 5 -2 1 flight, at least not for me. :doh:

Ha I know right... it's going to be a lot like the switch. Hmmm it is a lot like the switch... was it more stable or less stable than you thought? That flat run was different from my first experience with the circuits, so I stocked up on them all 171. That's the first full weight drivers in the bag for me in a long time.

Definitely flippy in a headwind so I can see how hyzer flipping might not work. Nose up actually works with them a bit anyways.

Glad to see the proxy is holding your putting slot, it's a good disc :D and soft e envy.