• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

It's not just you, Champ ELs especially have to be very seasoned before they become Leo like. The domey ones are less stable.
All right, I'll give Eagle-Ls one more try.

If you've got the heart, try thrashing one with some thumbers before you completely give up on it.
I have the heart, but not the shoulder. :( I will try the next best thing, though: an Eagle-L round at Seneca Creek. If that doesn't do it, I can write off the Eagle-L in good conscience.

And let me know what you think of your light Pain, I've been thinking about getting one to complement my heavier one. :thmbup:
Taken directly from the box with no de-flashing, two 165 red Opto Pains flew almost identical lines to a mildly seasoned 166 DX Roc. The Pain started fading a little earlier, but all three discs landed right next to each other.

I did find the Pain easier to throw forehand. The bead on a Roc seems to catch on my knuckle, but the Pain released more cleanly. I just switched to a one-finger forehand grip, which seems to give a cleaner release on both discs (thanks, cwalbino!).

I use Rocs for a wide variety of flex lines, glidey hyzers, and get-out-of-trouble shots, so I will be very interested to see whether the Pain is as versatile.

I haven't bothered with many premium plastic Rocs (too expensive!) but I've been really impressed with the glide of the Pain, not too far off from a good old DX Rancho really.

I started when I was over 50. One of the first discs I got when I really wanted to bring my game up a notch was a 150g Champ Leopard. Its still in my bag. Every bag should have one.

I started when I was over 50. One of the first discs I got when I really wanted to bring my game up a notch was a 150g Champ Leopard. Its still in my bag. Every bag should have one.

I have had some of my best throws, and some of my worst, with a 150 Champ Leopard. Consequently, Leopards have been in and out of my bag for years. What makes the Champ Leopard tricky is its combination of fairly high HSS with very low LSS. This means that the disc is hard to turn, but if turned a little too much it can keep turning uncontrollably.

I am testing the 150 M Polaris LS as a replacement. The M PLS has similar speed to the Leopard, is a little easier to turn (especially when seasoned), but also has a more reliable low-speed fade. If I turn the M PLS a little too much, it is more likely to settle down at the end of the turn rather than running away like the Leo can. This makes the PLS a little more reliable for turnovers and anhyzers.

The PLS has felt comfortable from the first throw, but based on history I give the Leopard 50:50 odds of sneaking back into the bag.

Yeah, I have a wonderful, chartreuse, pearly 150 Champ Leo that's refusing to leave my bag as well. :)

Quick summary:

In: Ion, Polaris LS, and Roc
Out: Leopard, Wizard, Magic, and Pain

I gave the Eagle-L another half-hearted shot, but me and Eagles just don't seem to get along (sorry, BroD). If Eagles were like DX Rocs and Teebirds – useful for me at all stages of wear – it might be different.

My wife surprised me with a gorgeous rust-and-gray Revolution bag, so I will use that as my tournament bag. For casual play, I will probably keep using the Crunch Box until it falls apart. My next tournament is scheduled for late July, so here is what I plan to carry (8 molds, number of discs TBD until I get a feel for the extra weight).

Suggestions and comments welcomed as always.

STABLE CONTROL DRIVER:
Diamond Light 154-7: This disc is easy to throw, sneaky-long, and does what I expect on a wide variety of lines. The Diamond also has enough low-speed fade to cover up my mistakes. I need to order a good-sized stack, and soon.

UNDERSTABLE DRIVER:
M Polaris LS 150 (seasoned): With less fade than the Diamond, the M PLS does a better job of holding anhyzer and turnover lines. Seasoned Diamonds may eventually take over this slot.

DISTANCE:
Valkyrie Star 153: Fairly stable
Valkyrie Champ 150: Easier to turn

MODERATELY OVERSTABLE:
Teebird DX 150 (one fresh, one seasoned): Stable workhorse, and often as long as the Valks.
Teebird Champ 150: Usually stays in the car unless the wind is howling

VERY OVERSTABLE:
Banshee Champ 153: Overstable stuff, and get-out-of-trouble shots.

MIDRANGES:
Roc DX 165 (one fresh, one seasoned): To save my shoulder, I have pretty much elimnated FH from my game except for short approach shots, so I am back to throwing good ol' Rocs.
Comet ESP 167-70 or Comet Z 161-3: I may choose one or the other after the ESP Comet breaks in.

PUTTERS:
Ion S 168-9 x 2: One for putting, and one for approaches. I look forward to trying a Medium Ion < 170 when they hit the stores.

I am looking for advice on a moderately overstable 150ish driver for a stuck-at-300' thrower. I am looking for a disc (perhaps mythical) that will:

- Fit neatly between Valks and Teebirds in stability
- Rival Valks in distance; and
- Stand up to most headwinds (for comparison, I am comfortable throwing 150 Star Valks into pretty strong headwinds)

Discs I am considering:
Viking Champ 150 - I have always found 160s Vikings to be glideless and short. What are the chances that I'll like 150 Champ Vikes better?
Orc Star or Champ 150 - Too much disc?
Avenger ESP 150 - Too much disc? Teebird overlap? How does the plastic hold up?

Discs I have tried so far:
P PD 150 - mixed results, but probably too much disc since I develop OAT after throwing it too often
Surge X 150 - flew like a Valkyrie and beat-up fast

I appreciate your suggestions, thanks in advance! The rest of the bag:

STABLE CONTROL DRIVER

Teebird DX 150 x 2: I add a 150 Star / Echo TB on windy days.

UNDERSTABLE DRIVER

Diamond Light Opto 153: High-parting line Diamonds are like mini-Valks, easy to work on different lines, and they get remarkable distance on standstill throws.

DISTANCE DRIVER

Valkyrie Star 153: Fairly stable
Valkyrie Champ 150: Easier to turn

MODERATELY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

?????? (See introductory paragraph)

VERY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Banshee Champ 153

MIDRANGES

Roc DX 165 x 2 (one fresh, one seasoned)
Comet Z 162: Money in the woods.

PUTTERS

Ion S 166-7 x 2: Putting, approaches, and short drives.

Ordered a few 150 S CDs to test in the moderately overstable slot. Before switching to 150 drivers, 165 CDs were probably my longest FH disc. C'mon, USPS!

i know you have thrown Eagle-L's what about Eagle-X's in the 150 range? i thrown dx teebirds and eagle-x's and love the combo.. testing the river now in place of teebirds but still love the eagle-x.. i throw a 166 but i have 150's that are just as stable

i know you have thrown Eagle-L's what about Eagle-X's in the 150 range? i thrown dx teebirds and eagle-x's and love the combo.. testing the river now in place of teebirds but still love the eagle-x.. i throw a 166 but i have 150's that are just as stable

Thanks for the suggestion, but for some reason Eagles and I could never get along. Perhaps I needed to be more patient with them, but it felt like I could never get them up to speed. Anyway, between various Teebirds, Banshee, and Diamond, I am pretty happy with my fairway drivers (although I am tempted to give the QJLS a try . . .).

I am mainly looking for a distance driver that will be more reliable than a Valkyrie when the winter winds start kicking up.

gotcha.. yeah i wasnt sure what kinda of speed we were talking... i havent thrown one but i know timmay raves bout x-wildcats.. and he throws valks. But yeah Orc, Viking, .. maybe Wraith.. would be slower but Tracker might fit that kind of stability.. mostly just a shot in the dark tho :p .. what about striker? you played with those yet?

I know you were asking for a similiar distance, but for wind I go with 162 orcs. Also, I usually just go with a heavier valk if the wind isn't too bad.

My Valks are 150,163 and 168, the 168 will work in a lot of wind, but if it gets super windy, I step up to the orcs. I also prefer low 160 weights in general. If I had to guess I would say we throw in the same neighborhood distance wise.

Ian and Ashley, thank you for the suggestions. Generally, I try to stick to discs that are rated power level = 4 (275 – 325') or less on Joe's Flight Chart. I also try to keep drivers < 160 grams to save wear and tear on my throwing shoulder.

I hope that the 150 Discmania S CDs get here soon and fill the stabler-Valkyrie slot. I used to throw 165 CDs, and they flew much like a Viking with more glide. If the CDs don't work out, I may track down some 150 Orcs or Vikings for testing.

Ashley, I agree that Valks handle headwinds surprisingly well. They also do nicely on glidey hyzers, flattened hyzers, and forehands, but the margin of error is fairly small. I am hoping that a driver with a notch more stability will make it harder for me to screw up those shots.

Thanks again!

The 150 S CDs arrived, and after 36 holes at Seneca Creek they seem to be just what I am looking for. Champ Valk to Star Valk to S CD covers the distance spectrum nicely in three equal jumps. The S CD handled 10-15 mph headwinds with no problems, but still flew almost as far as the Star Valk.

So far, me likey.

I hope that the 150 Discmania S CDs get here soon and fill the stabler-Valkyrie slot. I used to throw 165 CDs, and they flew much like a Viking with more glide.

Huh, that just piqued my interest. I might have to audition one against my Champ Viking.

Have you ever tried an Orion LS? Not sure how easily they come in 150 though.

Huh, that just piqued my interest. I might have to audition one against my Champ Viking.

Have you ever tried an Orion LS? Not sure how easily they come in 150 though.
I have not tried an Orion LS. Lightest I have seen is 161.

You may have seen this already, but 158 posts on The Craze(y) disc formally known as the CD. Summary: CD = glidier Viking (but the 1st runs are a different mold, and more stable). And, um, I happen to know where you could get a 165 orange Craze-stamped P CD, 7/10 condition . . .

That might be a scooch light for me. I did know about the 1st runs being different but thanks for the link, I think I'll investigate this. I've recently started carrying a Viking and a Monarch for distance and I'm not sure if the Viking is tickling my fancy like it used to.

Time for a bag update. Putters and distance drivers have changed; midranges and fairway drivers remain the same.

Question: I traded for a gummy Champ Rhyno, and after one round can't imagine how I lived without this disc. Will a new Champ Rhyno fly similarly? How about DX Rhynos – are they similar to gummy Champ Rhynos, and if so, how long do they stay that way?

In other news, I have cautiously been adding forehand back into the mix, still mostly approaches but occasional drives. FH hyzers are so much more reliable than BH anhyzers/turnovers. I hope the shoulder holds up.

Feedback, as always, is welcomed.

STABLE CONTROL DRIVER

Teebird DX 150: Straight and stable
Teebird Echo Star 156: Windy days

UNDERSTABLE DRIVER

Diamond Light Opto 155: Easy to throw, easy to turn, workable, amazing glide. I use this a lot in the woods, uphill, and as my "forehand substitute." I have also started experimenting with rollers.

MODERATELY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Krait Blizzard 154: Much better than the 150 S CD – goes farther on low lines, stands up to wind nicely, and delivers a healthy fade when needed.

DISTANCE DRIVER

Mamba Champ 150: New to the bag, flies similar lines to my 153 Star Valkyrie, but longer. The glide is amazing.

VERY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Banshee Champ 153: Overheads, flick rollers, skips, utility stuff

MIDRANGES

Roc DX 165: Stable drives and approaches.
Comet Z 162: Money in the woods.

PUTTERS

Anode Soft 167-8: Main putt and approach disc.
Rhyno Champ 170: New to the bag, but I already love it for forehand approaches, distance control, and going around things. Complements the Anode nicely.

Carrying a Zero Pure in place of the Anode for better grip in the wintry slush.

Swapped a flat-top DX Roc for a regular DX Roc. I like the straight flight of the flat-tops, and they work lines and cut through headwinds nicely.

Otherwise happy with the bag. I tried carrying the MJLS instead of the Diamond, but quickly switched back. For me, the MJLS flies closer to a seasoned DX Teebird.

Latest posts