• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

150 bag for an old fart

Putter dilemma: I switched from Anode to Zero Pure for putting and straight/anny/turnover approaches, but I cannot find 165-gram Pures in any plastic, and I don't want to become dependent on a putter I cannot replace.

Rhyno Champ 165 is set for approaches with fade, FH approaches, and distance control.

Ideally, I would like a grippy baseline putter for putting, and a durable version of that putter for straight/anny/turnover approaches out to 200' or so. I find the Zero Pure highly intuitive for approaches, and it works great with my pitch putt.

So, I am looking for something that flies like a Pure and is not too tall. There are multiple variations on Aviars, so I figured I would give them a shot. I will be testing:

Yeti Pro Aviar
Omega Supersoft
Omega Sirius
Aviar P&A DX

If one of these doesn't work out, I dunno. Maybe a Magnet, Summit, or I could always go back to Warlocks. Whatever I settle on needs to be readily available at 165-166 grams, and I would prefer if it was available in a variety of plastics.

Thoughts welcomed!

Time to update the bag - looking for putter info!

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: First played object Frisbee golf around 1970; regular disc golf for the past few years.
Throwing style: mostly RHBH; FH for approaches and short drives.
Golf distance (avg/max): Yeti Aviar 210/240; Roc/Fuse 240/270; XL/Diamond 270/300; Mamba/Krait 300/330'

Sex: M
Injuries: Torn rotator cuff, arthritic knee, bashed-up fingers . . .
Other sports: Water polo, volleyball, basketball, swimming, etc. (see injuries)
What do you like/dislike about current bag: Pretty happy with everything except putters

Changes:
Star TL in - DX Teebird out. Teebird is a great disc, but TL is more versatile.
Champ Mamba out – Star Mambas are more reliable
Putters are in flux (see below – suggestions welcomed)

Feedback, as always, is welcomed.

STABLE CONTROL DRIVER

TL Star 163: Versatile, workable, and often as long as my distance drivers.

UNDERSTABLE DRIVER

Diamond Light Opto 158: Turnovers, hyzer-flips, uphill throws, amazing glide. I use this a lot in the woods, and for BH rollers that need to turn quickly.

MODERATELY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Krait Blizzard 154: Good distance, stands up to wind nicely, and delivers a healthy fade when needed.

DISTANCE DRIVER

Mamba Star 160: Easy distance, amazing glide, predictably understable, great for hyzer flips, turnovers, and long rollers.

VERY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Banshee Champ 153: Utility stuff, flick rollers, skips, ridiculous headwinds, crazy S-curves, etc. I have been driving with the Banshee more often since Teebirds left the bag.

MIDRANGES

Roc DX flat-top 165: It's a Roc, 'nuff said.
Fuse GL 167: Understable complement, amazing glide, less touchy than the Comet.

PUTTERS

Rhyno Champ 166: FH approaches, distance control, and going around things.
Yeti Pro Aviar 166: Putts and straight approaches, but looking at other options . . .

Main question is about putters. I'm looking for a shallow-rimmed neutral-stable putter, available at 170 grams or less in a variety of plastics. I used Yeti Aviars for most of the summer, but the Yeti has too much "float" on putts and is not available in premium plastic for drives and approaches.

Considering:

Clutch: I like this so far. Straight-stable on drives, straight with a nice drop rate on putts, and available < 170 grams in various plastics. Icon Clutch can mimic most Rhyno lines with a little extra hyzer. Strong contender.

Pure: Love the Pure, but hate trying to find them < 170 grams. I have seen RGL Pures < 170, but hear they are domey rather than flat. How does the dome affect the flight?

PA4: Never tried but sounds promising for putts (300 plastic) and straight approaches (400 plastic). From reading reviews, the PA2 sounds Wizard-ish and the PA1 sounds Rhyno-like. Is that accurate? Is the PA2 similar to an Icon Clutch for approaches and short drives?

For reference, I throw putters a little over 200' from a standstill, and a bit further with a run-up. Beyond that distance I usually throw a midrange.

Other suggestions? Thoughts greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
The PA4's rim is not what I would call shallow. It's a great driving and approach disc for me, couldn't imagine putting with it right now. If you're looking for a putter to drop like a rock, the Wizard always did that for me with my pitch putt kind of style. Pretty average rim depth on that. I'd recommend a Judge. Straight stable, shallow rim. Doesn't drop a hard as a Wizard with my style. It may have too much float for you so idk...I remember likin the clutch a lot with the couple putts I took with it so you might be on to something there

The PA4's rim is not what I would call shallow. It's a great driving and approach disc for me, couldn't imagine putting with it right now.
Interesting - the PDGA lists the PA4 rim depth as 1.4 cm, same as the Pure and Clutch. Why can't you imagine putting with the PA4?

I remember likin the clutch a lot with the couple putts I took with it so you might be on to something there
Yes, I have been impressed with the Clutch in limited testing.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

It might not be deeper but in inside of the rim curves so my fingers have to go a little farther I guess. Makes it feel deeper to me. That's why I wouldn't want to putt with it, just feels awkward for me. If I tried it out a bit I may get used to it who knows

PA4: Never tried but sounds promising for putts (300 plastic) and straight approaches (400 plastic). From reading reviews, the PA2 sounds Wizard-ish and the PA1 sounds Rhyno-like. Is that accurate? Is the PA2 similar to an Icon Clutch for approaches and short drives?

The Prodigy 300 plastic feels amazing. It's grippy but still pretty firm. The Pa2 I've been throwing around the yard has a flight pattern similar to my challengers. Pitch putting inside the circle, and when thrown will a slight hyzer, the disc flies pretty straight and then falls off to the left. It will also hold a 120' get out of trouble anny toss all the way to the ground.

I think your concerns about putter weights are legitimate and agree the Clutch may be the best option. But all that said, I'm tempted to try the 300/400 Pa4 experiment myself.

It might not be deeper but in inside of the rim curves so my fingers have to go a little farther I guess. Makes it feel deeper to me. That's why I wouldn't want to putt with it, just feels awkward for me. If I tried it out a bit I may get used to it who knows

I agree it does feel deeper than the putters I normally use but it hasn't affected the flight.

I know it's not what your really asking for but if you haven't tried a zone for the overstable putter/utility disc, you really should. Very flat, very comfortable in the hand.

My bad is pretty close to you. I have a 150 Eagle X, 150 Teebird (Star and Champ) 149 Diamond and 3 rocs (CHamp, KC Pro, Beat DX) and Roc3.

Gotcha - thanks!

My bad is pretty close to you. I have a 150 Eagle X, 150 Teebird (Star and Champ) 149 Diamond and 3 rocs (CHamp, KC Pro, Beat DX) and Roc3.

Sounds pretty similar. What's it like discing in London?

I know it's not what your really asking for but if you haven't tried a zone for the overstable putter/utility disc, you really should. Very flat, very comfortable in the hand.

Thanks for the suggestion - I will take a look at Zones

Sounds pretty similar. What's it like discing in London?

I've only played one course in the area, it was disc golf but kind of like safari golf. The rough is rough and the fairways are more of paths.

Thanks for the suggestion - I will take a look at Zones

I also carry a Pro D and a Z Zone. THe Pro D is very workable and I can throw it out pretty far as it's BEAT up.

The Prodigy 300 plastic feels amazing. It's grippy but still pretty firm. The Pa2 I've been throwing around the yard has a flight pattern similar to my challengers. Pitch putting inside the circle, and when thrown will a slight hyzer, the disc flies pretty straight and then falls off to the left. It will also hold a 120' get out of trouble anny toss all the way to the ground.

Challenger is similar to Wizard, if I recall - straight to slightly overstable? For drives and approaches, how does your PA2 fly compared with your Challengers in terms of stability and glide?

I think your concerns about putter weights are legitimate and agree the Clutch may be the best option. But all that said, I'm tempted to try the 300/400 Pa4 experiment myself.

Yes, I need to update my trade list so I can clear out the closet and try some new toys. :D

I also carry a Pro D and a Z Zone. THe Pro D is very workable and I can throw it out pretty far as it's BEAT up.

Two votes for the Zone. Not sure why I have never tried one.

the zone is great for hilly courses as it will skip and go left every time (RHBH)

Challenger is similar to Wizard, if I recall - straight to slightly overstable? For drives and approaches, how does your PA2 fly compared with your Challengers in terms of stability and glide?

I have not thrown the Pa2 off the tee and only toss it around the yard. So far the Pa2 & Challenger & Discmaina P2 fly about the same for me, which is slightly over stable with a glide that is similar to a Magnet.

As far as Zones go, I haven't putted with my Zones. I use them for driving and approach shots only but keep in mind the Zone is very overstable. My understanding is that the DD Suspect is similar but does not have the hard left finish. The pro d zones can be beat into straighter flights but they do not like tree hits.

I have not thrown the Pa2 off the tee and only toss it around the yard.

Well get out on the course and throw your PA2 for me! :D

So far the Pa2 & Challenger & Discmaina P2 fly about the same for me, which is slightly over stable with a glide that is similar to a Magnet.

Makes sense - Joe's Flight Chart rates the Challenger and P2 pretty similarly. Thanks!

As far as Zones go, I haven't putted with my Zones. I use them for driving and approach shots only but keep in mind the Zone is very overstable. My understanding is that the DD Suspect is similar but does not have the hard left finish. The pro d zones can be beat into straighter flights but they do not like tree hits.

I looked up the Zone and Suspect on JFC. They seem to be putter-mid tweeners like a Gator. I usually carry a smallish bag, so I prefer to power down on a Roc rather than carry another disc.

The fewer discs I carry, the better I usually play. :rolleyes:

The Zone is sweet. I have a Pro D and a ESP Zone that are my bread and butter for drives and Utilities.

Also the Comet is a sweet disc. I sound like a broken record when I mention this disc,because I mention it all the time. :D I carry a Elite Z,Elite X and a ESP in my bag.