• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 PDGA events at the same course

there is some potential for loriella to have 4 this year.

pdga sanctioned leagues...yuck. i really wish they'd get over the idea of being all things to all people...

I don't mean to be a party pooper, but it just seems to me that if we start having PDGA sanctioned league events, the whole thing will seem a bit "watered down." I feel like it would take away some of the prestige of playing in a PDGA tourament and like I said, "water down" the rating system. Feedback?

Ehh, the PDGA isn't exactly Augusta National. Once you have a few PDGA events under your belt, any notion of prestige wears off pretty quickly.

When I started playing tournaments, the Minnesota Frisbee Association held two PDGA sanctioned events a year. The Minnesota Majestic and the Highland Park Open. All other events were simply MFA Summer Series events.

So, at one time, an event being sanctioned was something special. I think the PDGA realized that a lot of local players didn't see the value in joining the PDGA because the $5 fee for non PDGA members wasn't a big deal when all you played was two sanctioned events a year.

I didn't join the PDGA until I decided to play in a worlds.

yep... when i stared there were 2 supposed pdga events in virginia- one of them wound up being run by a crackhead who took the money and ran so in reality there was only one...

this year there will likely be 40.

We use Veterans Park(Lex, KY) for three sanctioned events per year now.

Sanctioned Ice Bowl(2/5/11) - 1st round at Vets
Lex Open (May) - 1 or 2 rounds (of the 4) at Vets depending on division
Fall Tourney(Sept) - Two rounds both at Vets

2 sanctioned events in the same year? Earlewood has 2 sanctioned events in March!

And then there is the SC State Championships in October using Earlwood/Owens Field.

My home course in Chapin used to have 3 Events a year, The Classic, Saydee's memorial, and the SC Flying Discs Championships

A couple of years ago I counted 17 sanctioned tournaments in the Augusta area---12 at the IDGC alone. I think they've reduced that to a half-dozen.

When I started Earlewood had 2 events a year---but those were 2 of the 3 in the entire state. Now many of the state courses have multiple events a year, sanctioned & non-sanctioned. Heck, even Stoney Hill has 2 sanctioned and 1 non-sanctioned.

DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz will have 3 PDGA events this year: Master's Cup (usually NT, but B-tier this year), PDGA Pro Worlds (that's why MC is B-tier this time), and the Faultline Classic.

There are no limitations, but you should think about burn-out factors. If you and other club members have a lot of energy, I say GO FOR IT!

Latest posts