• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Vibram Open

Live scoring has begun, I entered scores entered for card#1. Kelsey Wilmerding is leading the Vibram Open! :hfive:

Just noticed I'm registered with a tee time of 1:20. Now that I'm in, how will I get there from SC in 21 hours?

I did not register... But heck, I'll play if I can find an insta-sponsor!

#vibramopen

Phew, I almost picked you for my fantasy team!

Looks like the women are having a rough time based on the live scoring... lot's of bogeys and double bogeys early on. Anyone know what the conditions are like out there?

There's plenty of water carries out there. Great course.

Probably worth noting that the pars on the Gold course are set based on/aimed at 1010 rated players. So it's reasonable to expect even the best women (940-970) to struggle a bit relative to the course par.

Just for example's sake, I think #3, #6, #7, and #9 (just staying on the front nine) are really tough par3s. Deuces are likely to be rare on those holes for all the women (and to be fair, for all the men rated under 970ish as well). They are long and tight through the woods...really tough to get into reasonable putting range off the tee, and relatively easy to find oneself in a position where salvaging a three would take a great recovery shot (or a great putt after the recovery).

what that guy said! I'd add 13 to that list... Not sure what the rest of the changes have done to the course.

Matt

Probably worth noting that the pars on the Gold course are set based on/aimed at 1010 rated players. So it's reasonable to expect even the best women (940-970) to struggle a bit relative to the course par.

Just for example's sake, I think #3, #6, #7, and #9 (just staying on the front nine) are really tough par3s. Deuces are likely to be rare on those holes for all the women (and to be fair, for all the men rated under 970ish as well). They are long and tight through the woods...really tough to get into reasonable putting range off the tee, and relatively easy to find oneself in a position where salvaging a three would take a great recovery shot (or a great putt after the recovery).

3 is not particularly tricky. I had a chance at the 2 in the am side two weeks ago, and I'm only 916 rated. I think the pin was moved this year to a more scoring friendly position.

what that guy said! I'd add 13 to that list... Not sure what the rest of the changes have done to the course.

Matt

It's easy to get into trouble on 13, but if you can get it through the gap at the treeline, it's a pretty easy up-and-down.

3 is not particularly tricky. I had a chance at the 2 in the am side two weeks ago, and I'm only 916 rated. I think the pin was moved this year to a more scoring friendly position.

Well, if the pin has moved, I'll retract my inclusion of 3 on the list. But even if it has moved to a more friendly position, getting a drive up to the crest of the hill where the pin is/was still takes a really really good throw (unless they've blown out a bunch of the trees along the left side and opened up a more direct lane). Though I didn't say it was rare/impossible to get a look at a deuce there, just that actual deuces are likely to be rare from players at that <970 skill level.

And yeah, Matt, I'd include 13 as a tough par 3 as well. I kinda stopped my list at 9. 13 is very reachable, but a very well protected putting circle. Getting within 10m and having a clean, comfortable stance takes a tad bit of good luck.

I might include 14 as well. I believe they moved the gold tee on that to the right and up the hill. From photos and videos I've seen of it, it is a much tighter window coming out and over the water. Puts the emphasis on just getting over dry and clean rather than going for the pin. Deuces there among the <970 players might be down compared to past years as well.

Well, if the pin has moved, I'll retract my inclusion of 3 on the list. But even if it has moved to a more friendly position, getting a drive up to the crest of the hill where the pin is/was still takes a really really good throw (unless they've blown out a bunch of the trees along the left side and opened up a more direct lane). Though I didn't say it was rare/impossible to get a look at a deuce there, just that actual deuces are likely to be rare from players at that <970 skill level.

And yeah, Matt, I'd include 13 as a tough par 3 as well. I kinda stopped my list at 9. I might include 14 as well. I believe they moved the gold tee on that to the right and up the hill. From photos and videos I've seen of it, it is a much tighter window coming out and over the water. Puts the emphasis on just getting over dry and clean rather than going for the pin. Deuces there among the <970 players might be down compared to past years as well.

With a slight turnover, 3 is pretty easily reachable.

14 might be the toughest hole on the course now. There's really no safe play other than going for the pin 400 feet away. You can try to get something to fade out early, but it'll likely end up over the road in the woods, or worse, in the water on the other side.

The new 16 is a very tough 3. 500'+ on a straight line through the woods.

And 17 is really a two shot hole that's still labeled a par 3. I think GG was the only person to birdie it last year.

With a slight turnover, 3 is pretty easily reachable.

14 might be the toughest hole on the course now. There's really no safe play other than going for the pin 400 feet away. You can try to get something to fade out early, but it'll likely end up over the road in the woods, or worse, in the water on the other side.

The new 16 is a very tough 3. 500'+ on a straight line through the woods.

And 17 is really a two shot hole that's still labeled a par 3. I think GG was the only person to birdie it last year.

Fortunately for the women, they're probably not playing that gold tee on 14. That's probably another hole where they'll play a shorter option (probably the original gold tee, which is no easy deuce either).

Haven't seen 16 as it is now, but looking at the tee sign map on the VO website, I can guess how it plays based on past experience. Definitely a tough hole for anyone to deuce unless they cleaned out that route significantly since the last time I was there. Chalk that one up as another tough par3.

17 is labeled as a par 4 on the live scoring and the tee sign now. Seems a fair number. A deuce there is definitely worthy of being called an eagle. Interestingly, 12 is listed as a par 3 on live scoring but a par 4 on the sign. Par 4 seems more appropriate. Unless it's fixed on the live scoring, we probably won't see any "birdies" there this week.

Latest posts