• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

IMadethe climb from 16th card B Pool to 16th A pool for the semis. Ill be the 4th lowest player in A. Shot a pair of near1000 after my 886. Im having a blast even if its kind of a **** show.

im pretty excited for my buddy zach in the 13+under group. to go out to MN and play courses he never has before and keep pace with the local is awesome. he was as far back as 11 strokes mid week and has chipped back to within 3. i guess they did away with semis so he only has 9 holes to try and pull it off. im certainly pulling for him

Does someone have a map of the hockey rink hole or care to explain it? Heard a lot of talk about it. 9 people within 5 strokes of eachother at the top should be an exciting finish.

just what normally is 2 holes are now 1 and the first hole is a blind uphill shot that plays to a basket over the crest-- 2nd hole you track back a little to throw a huge anhyzer shot or roller etc from the tee to a basket which sits between the side of a very steep hill (now cliff due to erosion) and the hockey rink.

Both are good holes by themselves really but as one hole its a monster. Basically your line looks like this --with huge trees all over:

[||||HOCKEY|||||]
...._____.... [pin]
...|...
...|...
...\...uphill
....)...
{tee}

The map steve posted doesn't do it justice.

Last edited:
Does someone have a map of the hockey rink hole or care to explain it? Heard a lot of talk about it. 9 people within 5 strokes of eachother at the top should be an exciting finish.

Combine Kaposia regular holes 20 and 21.

Hole 20 is a moderate to sharp incline where at 180 feet or so you need to take a 90 degree angle turn to the left. Slight incline from that until you are out of the woods. Once out, the short basket is on the first hill. The long basket is another 70 or so feet on the second hill. You start in the woods, so a lot of skinny trees that could easily knock you down and roll you back down the hill, and you finish out in the open where wind is a factor and over shooting the basket will not keep you height level with it.

Hole 21 has a large ravine on the right but is fairly protected by trees. At 250 or so you need to take a 90 degree right turn. There are some large pine trees, the type that only grow at the top, protecting the gap where you need to make the turn. Most right handers either try to forehand just past or just lay up with a backhand to those trees. I have seen a few adventurous rollers too. There is a hockey rink on the right (it will be on your left once you are up to it and are approaching the basket), making a 20 foot stretch between the rink and the ravine where the basket sits three-quarters of the way down the rink.

When combined you need to make the majority of Hole 20 but instead of laying up to the basket at this point, your ideal shot is to lay up to the pine trees that are the gateway to the alley on 21.

Obviously players can do it in less, but here is the safe play:

Shot 1: Get up the hill and try to get as much left as possible in hopes of seeing the gap that gets you out of the forest.

Shot 2: Get out of the forest and near where 20's basket would be.

Shot 3: Get to the pine trees.

Shot 4: Approach to the basket, being careful to stay away from the rink's boards and the ravine.

Shot 5: Tap in. Most putts here are death putts.

I hate this hole because Hole 20 as is already has a large scoring spread because of the players who have difficulty getting out of the woods. Hole 21 usually suckers in a few players trying to make the gap on the first throw. Combining the two creates super high risk with such low reward. There may be a few that can get it in 4, but I bet the average safe score was 5.

During best shot my team took a 5, during the tournament I think I took a 6.

If you look at the majority of the scores in Advanced, most of the players were within a few throws of each other, so you need holes that create scoring separation, but one hole should not be the deciding factor in moving you up or down double digit spots in the rankings. You can play 17 of the 18 holes at Kaposia well, which in itself is a great accomplishment, but you could then lose out on your card by four to six throws because of one bad hole. I strongly believe that the whole body of play should determine a tournament, not one hole.

A player having a bad day will likely blow up on 3 or 4 holes which is enough to keep them out of contention. A player having a great day but blowing up on a hole like this will likely not have the time or the opportunity to get back in contention. There are not enough birdies at Kaposia to make up for one mistake on a hole like this. If you blow up here, you are now dependent on those who played it well to blow up on at least two or more holes somewhere else. Hole 2 (Hole 5 regular) is likely the only place that you could possibly catch back up in one hole, and that is assuming you have not already played it.

Yes, there is strategy in playing conservative to minimize damage and hope your opponents are too aggressive ("course management"). Yet playing not to lose is only a good strategy to place well, not to win. A hole like this forces you play conservative because the risk was too high and the reward so low; so few chances for heroics and glory, too many chances for frustration and ruining your whole day.

so few chances for heroics and glory, too many chances for frustration and ruining your whole day.

perfectly summed it up! lol. And that's not even mentioning the hole right before it which a bad roll can kill your good shot from the drive to the putt. I was very happy with a tap in 3 there.

Last edited:
perfectly summed it up! lol. And that's not even mentioning the hole right before it which a bad roll can kill your good shot from the drive to the putt. I was very happy with a tap in 3 there.

I have no problems with that hole because it is a part of the normal course and I always score a 3 on it. I hate to see roll aways, but that is a part of creating natural scoring separation. In most cases you can recover and it will only cost you a throw or two. Doing something bad on that combined hole can suddenly add numerous throws, especially if the mistake happened early in the hole.

Okay, really dumb question time. Am I correct that Am Worlds is basically only MA1? There's no MA3 or MA2 correct? I know there are Junior and Female divisions but only the top tier - right?

Correct, all divisions are advanced. All gender and age protected divisions are advanced as well.