• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

F
Note these are guidelines, not limits.

Guideline is correct. For the right courses and the right bid, they'll overlook this and just about any guideline. Severin Lang to Charlie Vetiner is over 30 miles and the US Masters used both courses in 2012.

Heck, at the Memorial NT stop in Scottsdale, not all tees have concrete pads the gold layout for Vista Del Camino. I think the quality of the courses is much more important than any distance factor.

I don't really care how I would do at an event like that. So I get killed on the course - I wouldn't care. So long as I play my game well I'd be happy. For me, an event like that would be the experience. The oodles of people I could meet. I like meeting fellow DG'ers. I also like playing with people way better than me often times because I still have so much to learn.

Exactly. I am thinking about trying to make it on the wait list...Just got my PDGA # and have never played a tournament, but I'm planning on playing a bunch in 2014 and earning a 2015 invite to MI. The only thing is how far ahead do they open it up? It is a lot of time off work for something you may not get into.

Exactly. I am thinking about trying to make it on the wait list...Just got my PDGA # and have never played a tournament, but I'm planning on playing a bunch in 2014 and earning a 2015 invite to MI. The only thing is how far ahead do they open it up? It is a lot of time off work for something you may not get into.

What do you mean by this? You cannot actually register for the Worlds tourney until about March of the year they take place, when registration opens up. However, you can use previous Worlds points requirements as guidelines to know if you would be issued an invitation (500 points earned as an amateur to qualify for the large and unprotected MA1 field). If you play many small tournaments (C-Tiers and certain B-Tiers) and do well, or a few larger tournaments (mostly A and B-Tiers) and simply place, you should earn enough points. If you play a bunch of tournaments in the Spring and Summer of 2014, you might have enough points accumulated by the end of the summer (almost a year out) to know if you qualify, and you would have plenty of early warning to ask for that time off from work. :)

Yup, that's my plan for 2015 worlds. Since I haven't played anything in 2013, I won't have points for 2014, but I live right next door, and have a bunch of buds in the twin cities, so I was thinking about getting on the waiting list. My question, stated fairly incoherently, is how far ahead of time do you know if you've been accepted off the waiting list. I figure this would be a great start to building up points for 2015, considering I'm fairly new to the sport and plan on playing rec. I'm really not very good. :)

There is no waiting list. You wait 60 days for those who have been invited to register. Then, if spots remain (and they usually do), registration opens to every current amateur member on a first come, first served basis. Open reg usually opens around mid-May.

Yup, that's my plan for 2015 worlds. Since I haven't played anything in 2013, I won't have points for 2014, but I live right next door, and have a bunch of buds in the twin cities, so I was thinking about getting on the waiting list. My question, stated fairly incoherently, is how far ahead of time do you know if you've been accepted off the waiting list. I figure this would be a great start to building up points for 2015, considering I'm fairly new to the sport and plan on playing rec. I'm really not very good. :)

As Chuck stated above, there is no waiting list. There is also only one level of division at Worlds, Advanced; there are no Intermediate or Recreational divisions. The age-protected divisions such as Masters, Grandmasters, etc., are also just a single level of play. So if you are fairly new to the sport, know that you are competing against many players of varying skill levels, some fairly high. Since you live nearby, it would be a great experience - I felt the same way about Worlds in Charlotte, even though I finished well.

Just plan to come anyway. Whether you play, caddy, or volunteer it will be the best possible use of vacation time.

Also, two league nights are tentatively planned at BRP so players can head up there if they wish on the day they are scheduled for only one round in Worlds Competition. It's about an hour drive to BRP from where the tournament motels are located and that's not during rush hour.

Latest posts