• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Am Worlds...Minneapolis

I have seen one side of Mike and heard another. These were short interactions and I am not going to judge a person based upon those experiences.

With that being said, those who are wondering how he won the bid for being a TD, I believe I overheard that because he was the elected PDGA State or Regional Coordinator, he was the only choice. Now, this was only overheard, so take it with a grain of salt because my three minute google search did not turn up anything supporting it. However, if this is the case and people do have a legitimate complaint against him being a TD, the logical step would be to vote him out of that position during the next election cycle.

To wrap up anything I have to say on the matter, no matter how poorly people perceive the tournament itself, the whole process will have a huge positive influence locally. City and Park districts were more than pleased by the turnout and positive nature of those who came in from out of town to play. They were impressed and are willing to continue the positive changes they began in anticipation for this tournament. Despite the bickering done online, those who were out there in person in public did a fantastic job representing the sport. That means more care will be put into the courses, more courses and or expansions, more signage on the course and out in traffic directing people to the course, and in general a lessening of the negative stereotypes. This also means more support for local leagues and tournaments as well as more sponsor support the next time a big tournament (whether a National Tour or something like the Majestic or MN Am Championship) asks for help.

I wish Mike would come on here and straighten the issues out. You have to know he is out there reading all this stuff.
I met him while I was taking photos at The Valley. He was spotting ( flagging) on hole 11. We exchanged pleasentries. And he said he was the TD.

I wish Mike would come on here and straighten the issues out. You have to know he is out there reading all this stuff.
I met him while I was taking photos at The Valley. He was spotting ( flagging) on hole 11. We exchanged pleasentries. And he said he was the TD.

I feel like you may have met the course director.

This was Am Worlds. You are competing to be the best of the lousiest, and the lousiest of the best. Sounds like the event lived up to the gravitas of the situation.

This was Am Worlds. You are competing to be the best of the lousiest, and the lousiest of the best. Sounds like the event lived up to the gravitas of the situation.

I hope you aren't as sad of a person as this quote makes you sound. Or maybe it was a joke and it got lost in internet translation, in which case please disregard the previous comment. I just don't see how you can play for as long as you have been, according to your info, and not see that 90%+ of the people going have no intention of winning. People go to be a part of the experience which is really what this tournament lacked. The competition was great, the courses were great it was all the little stuff coupled with bad communication that people are disappointed with. Am Worlds should be the most fun and best run AM tournament of the year. Last year it also was also probably the best value AM tourny of the year, which cant happen every year but its not making this year look any better.

Your correct. I looked at my notes since I had to have names as well as PDGA numbers for the photos. Theperson I have a photo was a man named Josh M.
Thanks for correcting me.

It was really just a hunch. I didn't have many interactions with the TD but they all made it really hard for me to believe you would find him out flagging lol

The course staffers at The Valley were Tom H, Todd E, and Rebecca D. They did have some scouts and leaders spotting and one of them may have been a Josh M.

Last edited:

you sound like a complete idiot calling the Am's the lousiest . your nothing but another pro talking bad about disc golfers that are not at the skill level of "pro's" . i bet you started out playing pro right? stfu

Best of the lousiest and lousiest of the best is a reference to a sports radio commentator in Minnesota, The Common Man.

Can't I make a comment that is a comical reference AND serious? Ams must be lousier than Pro's, right? And the Am Worlds is supposed to determine the best Am. I think the shoe fits.

When I started, we played for hard cash, not scrips or vouchers or Obama dollars or Ron Paul gold coins or bitcoin or trophies. Wait, hard cash and fun. it has been so long I forgot fun used to be a part of it. At any rate there were no Ams, or we were all Ams, I can't tell...

I find it interesting that Ams always say they aren't in it for the payout, only the experience. Then they say they won't move up to Pro because they would never cash and bitch about the crappy Am payouts. :popcorn:

Oh. I completely forgot about one of the spotters that we ran into. One of the guys on our card threw OB on a blind shot, and when we got up there, we asked the spotter where the disc had gone out. He said that he could not tell us because he was instructed that the decision must be made by the group, he could only confirm that it went out. We were like, "No $&*@ it went out, we see it over the line" but ended up just guessing where his lie was. Is this a real rule?

But definitely thanks are in order for all of the spotters. It is so frustrating losing a disc in a tournament.

Oh. I completely forgot about one of the spotters that we ran into. One of the guys on our card threw OB on a blind shot, and when we got up there, we asked the spotter where the disc had gone out. He said that he could not tell us because he was instructed that the decision must be made by the group, he could only confirm that it went out. We were like, "No $&*@ it went out, we see it over the line" but ended up just guessing where his lie was. Is this a real rule?

But definitely thanks are in order for all of the spotters. It is so frustrating losing a disc in a tournament.

At most professional tournaments I have attended, the spotter will mark where the disc went out of bounds. I suppose the decision is still up to the group, but that decision is much easier to make when the spotter tells you where he thinks the lie should be.

At least the spotter had been coached. The only rule with spotters is whether they have been formally deputized by the TD to make rulings or are already certified officials. None of the spotters were deputized for Am Worlds so the most they could do was find your disc or point to where it went out. However, the group decision matters in this case if there's a disagreement. If the spotter is deputized, then their call stands.

Lol what?

I was told by several locals that a lot of the issues with the tournament and lack of communication and organization stuff was due in large part to the TD being a huge d bag and a huge amount of animosity between area TDs and this guy. As well as a lot of players in the area not being a fan of him and his poorly run events.

How accurate is this? And if its accurate how the hell is this guy in charge?
If its the guy im thinking of, my only experience with him was annoying and i can for sure see why other folks have a problem with him

ive heard from owners of shops, the employees and other TD's that he is a POS. he gives out crappy prizes and is a cheap ass.

correct me if im wrong on this but doesnt $4 of kapoisia fees go to his shop? i need some verification on that