• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Discraft Ace Race

Does anyone know the discount amount on the PDGA membership?

Actually, you could argue that DC is taking an innovative step to grow the sport for the brand new players with these "beginner drivers" as well as getting the mid level players to join the PDGA and advance themselves as well

Curious to see the impact on memberships after this AR

Last edited:
I think I like the player's pack, but not so excited about the disc. I really wanted to see a mid or putter, the course I'm doing the AR at is really good for an ace race, but I'm just not excited about another driver.

Never played a AR. So how long are the AR holes going to be that you will throw drivers? 300+ feet? I thought they wanted some aces and basket hits. Trying to figure out how the 2 drivers will be used. Are there going to be 95 foot holes I have to throw a driver on?

Never played a AR. So how long are the AR holes going to be that you will throw drivers? 300+ feet? I thought they wanted some aces and basket hits. Trying to figure out how the 2 drivers will be used. Are there going to be 95 foot holes I have to throw a driver on?

Up to the local TD. Discraft recommends 180-250, but some TDs, myself included, go even shorter than 180.

Yup, I go shorter too, I usually go 130 - 200. You have one shot per hole, everyone uses the discs you get at the event. On shorter holes, just adjust accordingly since it's a driver. Note: there is no penalty for missing by 50' so I always throw hard, right at it. Even if it's a driver, you don't have to throw a big slow looper, you just have to hit metal so throw like you mean it!

This is the prize disc. SICK!!!

10478123_10152311481558644_914711581970749790_n.jpg

Ace races are boring if nobody is hitting metal. Last year we had 90-200ft holes, but it was crazy windy. One person hit an ace. One person had 2 metal hits. It wasntasfun as years past, but i do blame the weather.

I TD the local AR. Last year we brought 10 temp baskets to the course and played the course twice, back to back for a grand total of 56 chances. All but two of the holes were 120 and under. The shortest being 70 ft. We even had a mandatory roller hole.
72 people had about 20 total aces for the day, and around 90 metals. It was a blast.

This year we will be adding 12 baskets to the course and doing a similar layout of very short holes.

I highly recommend the shorten holes, because everyone has even more fun.

Does anyone know the discount amount on the PDGA membership?

Actually, you could argue that DC is taking an innovative step to grow the sport for the brand new players with these "beginner drivers" as well as getting the mid level players to join the PDGA and advance themselves as well

Curious to see the impact on memberships after this AR

Im guessing its going to be something like $5 off a renewal and $10 off a first time membership.

If I remember correctly, we had one hole at 30 feet (we had a swamp directly behind it, so it was for the best anyway) and another at 220 (the hole is normally 900 feet so we wanted to keep the character of the hole). Most fell within the 140-170 range with a handful hovering around 90. With the temp baskets we had a total of 30 holes and you had to throw twice for a total of 60 chances.

We had a tie for 1st with 3 aces and 5 metal hits which was settled for a winner take all CTP. The highlight of the tournament was watching the "beginners" get an ace on the 30 foot hole. I think that went a long way in raising the enjoyment for those the tournament was clearly aimed at. The 30 foot hole may have seem like a putt, but I think that made it more difficult. I miss the chains to the right and sallied the second shot for only a metal hit. It was not a gimmie because there were two trees in the way.

Last year our gimmick hole was just the cage area sitting on the ground; just the bowl and no pole or chains. It was ideal for rollers because I saw many normal throws bounce in and out on otherwise would have been great throws. The cage sat on the back side of a rise, so it was blind and you just had to aim for the tree it sat in front of. It was a 90 foot shot, so a lob could have worked too.

I was the TD for our local ace race, and I set it up a little differently after only getting 1 ace and a few metal hits in the entire group combined the previous year. I shortened the holes to anywhere from 120-180. I had about half brand-new beginners so this was good for them. Each player gets two discs, so I chose to let everyone throw both discs for both rounds. This was to give everyone an equal shot at more aces/metal and it defnitely worked. We had 5 aces and over 30 metal. This was with 20 people, so 18 holes times 2 throws times 2 rounds = a lot of chances to hit something. It ended up not adding much time, as the entire event was 3 hours which was similar to the previous year with the 'normal' rules.

Just threw the 2014 Ace Race disc today at the Discraft Test Drive at Sibley High School.

The Discraft rep called it a slightly more understable mantis. It felt similar to a mantis in the hand with more dome and had super long glide.

I shoulda taken pics but I didn't think to until after I left. I was too stoked that I was able to buy 2 buzz OS.

so anyone else care to chime in on the 2014 ace race disc?

Almost the same rim configuration and feel as a Roadrunner. More stable than a Roadrunner, but that is by far the closest comparison. When powered down it held lines nicely, making it a far better Ace Race disc than last year. We had multiple people with two or more aces. Our winner had 4 with second with 3 and needing the metals for breaking the tie.

When I aired them yesterday at Elm Creek, they flipped easily, but it seemed a very predictable flip. I was getting them out to 425 or more because they flipped up flat and just rode the line almost to the ground. I do not trust my hyzer flipping ability to say that they, or the Roadrunner which I do bag, can or should be my main distance driver. I top out with the Trespass and Sword 390-410. So, getting this out further was awesome, making them worthy of someone who can hyzer flip and or something during a fun round.

I thought the overall value of the players pack was great. The hats are nice and the towels are sweet, much better than I was expecting. Also, on a plus side, the colors of the discs are much better, bright and easy to find.