• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pro Worlds

Its also worth noting that the way Will "opened the door" in the first place was by shooting a round almost identical (rating and score wise) nuclear hot round to the one Paul shot today to "close the gap".

Indeed. Will didn't get that awesome lead by luck, just like Paul didn't close the lead by luck.
Round 1: Both shot 58, 1045 rated rounds at Moraine
Round 2/3: Both shot a 54, 1064/1070 round at Slippery Rock
Round 2/3: Will smoked a 51, 1086 to crush Paul's 59, 1035 at Slippery Rock
Round 4: Paul smoked a 51, 1085 to crush Will's 58, 1034 at Deer Lakes
Almost identical tournaments so far.

Please tell me someone will be filming the chase card tomorrow. Rico and MJ? My two favorite players on the same card, at Worlds? Consider me excited.

Indeed. Will didn't get that awesome lead by luck, just like Paul didn't close the lead by luck.
Round 1: Both shot 58, 1045 rated rounds at Moraine
Round 2/3: Both shot a 54, 1064/1070 round at Slippery Rock
Round 2/3: Will smoked a 51, 1086 to crush Paul's 59, 1035 at Slippery Rock
Round 4: Paul smoked a 51, 1085 to crush Will's 58, 1034 at Deer Lakes
Almost identical tournaments so far.

Will is currently shooting ~1058 golf right now. Paul averages around 1055 golf in Majors and NTs this year, which includes his injury rounds at EO and the final round 984 at Maple Hill. I realize Paul isn't the only competition, but overall he is the biggest obstacle when it comes to winning Worlds.

No one is gonna call Uli on the step putt.

I think the eagle on 17 at Blue Lake last year is harder to get than the eagle on hole 3 at Deer Lakes.

The two shots to get Deer Lakes #3 are just so pure though, and fun to watch.

A couple of 1007 rated rounds from Senior Grandmasters Dave Greenwell & Kazuo Shirai on Moraine Blue. Holding up that wrinkled banner for us old guys!

Ian, are you wearing ghillie suits like you talked about in the Tali Open? :|

lol, I ordered one but it didn't come in time :p

Vids or it isn't true!

working on it!

Please tell me someone will be filming the chase card tomorrow. Rico and MJ? My two favorite players on the same card, at Worlds? Consider me excited.

Not us. At this point I don't think the chase card can catch Will or Paul. We've filmed chase card the last 2 rounds. I want some lead card action.

And you totally deserve it Ian. Plus with that gem of a round from Paul on the chase card, you guys have earned it. Keep up the great work.

I don't like how Birdie or Die SRU is for the final 9. It just doesn't seem to be the right kind of course to decide the World Champion on. Blue Lake was birdie or die a little bit last year, but you had to make a lot of different shots. If they just play the front 9 for the finals I feel it won't be quite up to snuff. Then again, I should probably shut my mouth until I organize and TD a World Championship.

I've pretty much started categorizing any course that says "challenging when the wind is up" as something that will pretty much get destroyed by these guys. SRU is great, and better than most ball golf course conversions I've seen done in terms of open courses, but it's still. an. open. course. Like wide open. And that isn't to take away from what the designer did and the work that went in; it looks like a fine, fun course. But for the top rated pros, it just doesn't seem like as much of a challenge. However, for the filming and gallery reasons listed above, it seems like the best place for the final 9; I'm just glad the semis are at Moraine. :thmbup:

I've pretty much started categorizing any course that says "challenging when the wind is up" as something that will pretty much get destroyed by these guys. SRU is great, and better than most ball golf course conversions I've seen done in terms of open courses, but it's still. an. open. course. Like wide open. And that isn't to take away from what the designer did and the work that went in; it looks like a fine, fun course. But for the top rated pros, it just doesn't seem like as much of a challenge. However, for the filming and gallery reasons listed above, it seems like the best place for the final 9; I'm just glad the semis are at Moraine. :thmbup:

Well said sir!

I personally wasn't thrilled that 1/3rd of the tee shots at Moraine were rollers. I enjoy wooded courses and thought Moraine was a very beautiful and fun looking course but it just didn't seem like a good representation of the true skill of the competitors. Everyone is down on the wide open SRU course however I believe that could be even more of a challenge and I'm happy the final 9 will be there. It is incredibly difficult to control speed and distance on these longer holes and while the placement on many shots doesn't have to be perfect in order to score well they still have to be close enough to make a putt. Maybe I'm crazy but i thoroughly enjoyed the round 3 coverage over the round 1 footage.

I personally wasn't thrilled that 1/3rd of the tee shots at Moraine were rollers. I enjoy wooded courses and thought Moraine was a very beautiful and fun looking course but it just didn't seem like a good representation of the true skill of the competitors. Everyone is down on the wide open SRU course however I believe that could be even more of a challenge and I'm happy the final 9 will be there. It is incredibly difficult to control speed and distance on these longer holes and while the placement on many shots doesn't have to be perfect in order to score well they still have to be close enough to make a putt. Maybe I'm crazy but i thoroughly enjoyed the round 3 coverage over the round 1 footage.

The difference between a course like Moraine and a course like SRU is that on one if you miss your line by a foot you probably need a miracle shot to save your par. On the other you can miss your line by 3 feet and be looking at a 35-40 footer for birdie.

You're right, I guess just the sheer amount of rollers I saw in 1st rd coverage bothered me. For a third of the round it's who can lay down a roller the best.

I am one of the course designers at Moraine and the limbs are too low this year. Not enough pole saw work was done as should have been.

But was hard to maintain as we had 26 days of rain in July and everything grew in thick this year. Also we had other things that needed completed.

I would have loved to have seen it more limbed up for worlds, but that takes a lot of volunteer hours to pole saw all of those holes.

But at the same time, it tricks you into thinking the roller is the better shot, when it really isn't. Especially on 16. The second shot is almost always better as an air shot. Yet players hack their way down the fairway with rollers. My group had three birdies on it with no rollers.

You're right, I guess just the sheer amount of rollers I saw in 1st rd coverage bothered me. For a third of the round it's who can lay down a roller the best.

One of Moraine's best features is that there should be a lot of diversity in shot selection on many holes. With the relatively small trees, you can often go under, through, around, or over. At Deer Lakes, you get some diversity in the Hole 1 tee shot...and then everyone pretty much throws the same shot off the tee for the next 17 holes.

With that said, I can't imagine the top pros would go with a roller off the tee for more than one or two holes. Maybe some of the lower rated guys would throw a roller more frequently. I'll have to go back and watch.

I was in no way trying to rip the course at all, thank you for the work you've done and the course is beautiful. All the volunteers should be commended.

I always love a diverse shot selection. More then one hole on moraine had 3 or 4 different routes on one card. I like that a lot

I wish every disc golf course in the world offered a roller option on 1/3 of the holes. God bless the course designers and volunteers at Pittsburgh area courses who have made the lost art of rollers a preferred option in this year's Pro Worlds competition!

I am one of the course designers at Moraine and the limbs are too low this year. Not enough pole saw work was done as should have been.

But was hard to maintain as we had 26 days of rain in July and everything grew in thick this year. Also we had other things that needed completed.

I would have loved to have seen it more limbed up for worlds, but that takes a lot of volunteer hours to pole saw all of those holes.

But at the same time, it tricks you into thinking the roller is the better shot, when it really isn't. Especially on 16. The second shot is almost always better as an air shot. Yet players hack their way down the fairway with rollers. My group had three birdies on it with no rollers.

Thanks for a great course!

I had to chuckle when CCDG mentioned how rough the rough is at Moraine...PA woods in the summer! It's unavoidable and uncontrollable, especially considering disc golf runs on volunteers...

Just be glad the courses aren't a swamp right now, people!