• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Pros and Their Manufacturers

Let's do a Superclass event. I've got enough Superclass discs to make a run at some of your Longmont courses...

If you tighten up the ob longmont can be fun superclass. It would be fun. Prior to my workload being doubled 3 years ago a friend and I were looking to start a traveling superclass league.

I TD'd a Superclass Ice Bowl today. 55 players, the tourney disc was a Glow Pulsar with our Ice Bowl series stamp. Last year's Ice Bowl was also Superclass, with series-stamped Zephyrs. Juliana Korver played in today's event and said she had a lot of fun and would like to see more SC. There has been so much positive response from these events I'm going to put together a Superclass series in San Diego County, maybe including some courses north towards L.A.

It has been fun introducing larger-diameter discs to players who have never even played catch with a disc - only played disc golf. Several of our local Open players have added Zephyrs to their regular golf bags and are learning the value of finesse shots.

It also makes some of our pitch-n-putt courses more relevant again. And worthy of tournament play.

Sorry for the thread drift, but I'll take any opportunity to extoll the virtues of Superclass!

I would agree with you. Your videos are the most fun to watch because of it.

I would say Schwebby and Barry have them, too. It's almost as if Charlotte is the finesse player's Dagobah. Does that make Stan Yoda? :D

Maybe I should move to Charlotte. I keep getting beat down by Eagle and Joe here in Colorado.

Nikko text me and said that he was going to rock an all MVP bag this year.

Oh god no. He is not made for a one company sponsorship and especially not for a not experienced company with an incomplete range of discs (let the flame wars begin). If a company would be suited for him it would be Lat64.

But I really like the shift in players that happened. The situation feels more "right and healthy" now. This will help grow the sport a lot more.

And the sport has the kind of players and characters to make it interesting:
McBeth: the guy who can dominate at will
Feldberg: the promoter, constant "teacher"
Lizotte: the kid that has talent and fills the highlight reel
Locastro: the crazy freelancer
McCray: the one with a history in his life
Wysocki, Schusterick, Doss: the challengers for McBeth

And all of them are distributed across the manufacturers and sponsors now.

Too bad the women still miss pretty much all of that.

And yes - we need to stop creating open and long courses.

Maybe I should move to Charlotte. I keep getting beat down by Eagle and Joe here in Colorado.

Yea, here you only have to worry about Barry, Schwebby, Nate Sexton, Matt Peckham, Big Jerm, MJ, Stan, Austin Turner, Cam Todd, Hunter Todd, Ronnie Huffman, Wiggins, Terry Gallops and 16 other players rated 980+, lol.

Yea, here you only have to worry about Barry, Schwebby, Nate Sexton, Matt Peckham, Big Jerm, MJ, Stan, Austin Turner, Cam Todd, Hunter Todd, Ronnie Huffman, Wiggins, Terry Gallops and 16 other players rated 980+, lol.

And people wonder why NC has a huge Adv division... You can't even pick tournaments without seeing four names above 1000

Appreciate being #4 on your list. :)

To further add to speculation. I suppose it could be a business that is not a disc manufacturer, though.

Cali Connection (Don Smith and Sarah Hokom) announced that JohnE, Paige and other players were joining their team (clothing sponsor situation I believe). It's on the Cali Connection FB page.

Boom.

I wonder if he was still using those in Australia?

Considering how long he held onto his aviars cuz he couldnt adjust, i would assume be is putting aviars or pa3s still.

I dont blame him. You are expected to place very highly, its a major (whether you agree it should be or not), and he wants to start his year off well.

If he has a trilogy only bag already id be very surprised

Considering how long he held onto his aviars cuz he couldnt adjust, i would assume be is putting aviars or pa3s still.

I dont blame him. You are expected to place very highly, its a major (whether you agree it should be or not), and he wants to start his year off well.

If he has a trilogy only bag already id be very surprised

If he hasn't signed the contract and wasn't sporting Lat64 logos, yes, he probably is still using some sort of mixed bag. Once the contract is signed though, it's all Trilogy whether he's comfortable with them or not. There's no grace period.

If he hasn't signed the contract and wasn't sporting Lat64 logos, yes, he probably is still using some sort of mixed bag. Once the contract is signed though, it's all Trilogy whether he's comfortable with them or not. There's no grace period.

The only one that knows what's in the contract is Ricky and Latitude.

I mean, realistically, Wysocki could beat almost anyone one these forums with nothing but a Wolf and a beach Frisbee, so I wouldn't be too overly shocked if he was rolling with the all Trilogy bag in Australia. I think when players have that level of natural ability, it takes them less time to adjust to new discs than it would, say, for me to do so. It might take me months, whereas someone like Ricky et al it might take them only a few weeks, if that.

But the putting thing is a fair point. That takes a little longer, just because it's such an individualistic part of the game. Lat/Westside/DD have so many discs out between the three of them now though, I'm sure he found something to his liking.

So... trilogy stamped big bead aviars then?

Big bomber wannabees also have little interest in finesse. Since Simon's record, all the high speed blizard plastic discs have disappeared off the shelves around me. Distance sells, not touch or finesse.
In traditional golf there has always been an aphorism that one drives for show, but putts for dough. This has been true for as long as the game exists. A quality long game is an advantage, but if you don't have touch on the green, you won't win. In disc golf I've always felt like we should be flipping this aphorism on it's head. The courses I enjoy most are the ones that require tricky, pinpoint drives. After all, putting in disc golf will never be as difficult as in traditional golf, so there has to be some equalizer. I've always felt like tightly wooded holes served that purpose. I'm not saying there is no room for open holes on a course. The best courses mix it up, and let players with different strengths compete. But I agree with those who are noticing a trend towards longer, more open courses being built, and strongly feel like the game will lose something if this trend continues. After all, most people just see someone throwing a frisbee really far, and don't realize how difficult that can be.

Three points to make:
1. Jack Nicklaus said in his golf book (decades ago) that he believed that the golf hole should be 6" or 8" or 12" wide, because the game relied too much on finesse and had become too difficult for the average golfer to score well and enjoy. I've played traditional golf with 12" holes before. My score did not improve much. The contours of the green still make for challenging putting, although a better putter than me could undoubtedly have taken better advantage. However, traditional golf is a game steeped in many decades of tradition, and changing the hole to reduce the challenge would very likely result in a mass defection of existing players, myself included.
2. Real golf is declining all through the country but Disc Golf seems to be growing very well. When you compare number of rounds played, traditional golf rounds are still played at something like 100 to 1 when compared to disc golf. Traditional golf went through a contraction during the recession, but is seeing something of a resurgence in the last two years. Disc golf is also growing, and growing significantly quicker than real golf is contracting. The sports are not in competition with each other. I do not play less traditional golf since re-discovering disc golf several years ago. In fact, when vacationing at my cottage in Michigan where I'm surrounded by beautiful golf courses of both types it's not uncommon for me to play both sports in a day.
3. Why do we keep comparing our sport to Ball golf? Is DG like some real golf wannabe? Haven't we exisited long enough to have our own sport??
Yes we have. But as long as pro golfers make millions and pro disc golfers make peanuts, there will always be some with an inferiority complex. There are also those who perceive traditional golfers as snobby, wealthy, and elitist. And of course there are many traditional golfers who do live up to that stereotype. But really, do we want to be judged by OUR stereotype? I certainly don't. I hate hippies and god-awful jam bands, don't smoke pot, and don't own a dog or any tie-dye clothing. But these stereotypes, the vocal minority if you will, are usually the ones doing the judging. If I'm honest, I've met far more people on a golf course who I'd be comfortable inviting to my home than I have a disc golf course. Now I've met good and bad people both places, but the barriers to entry in traditional golf that so many here look down on also serve to keep out the riff-raff and low lives that you occasionally bump into on a free disc golf course, especially in a heavily populated area.

Personally, I play both sports, and play for different reasons. When I golf I'm participating in an activity that my father, uncles, grandfather, great grandfather, etc all enjoyed. I love the history of the game, the nobility and traditions of honor and fair play. I play golf to challenge myself against the course, and to do the best I can. Par is a minor victory for many I play with, not an expectation, so I feel a sense of accomplishment when I shoot close to it over an entire round. I've never broken par for a round, and likely never will. And that doesn't matter. Golf is hard, and meant to be hard. It is a test of discipline and consistency, and as such is not for everyone.

Disc golf is different. I play to feel good about myself, relax and have fun with my friends. Course par is something that should be shattered easily on most courses I play, and so my friends and I play all par 3's. Even with this added challenge I expect to shoot close to par on all local courses from the shorts, and am working to hone my game and feel like I'll be able to do the same from the long tees on the courses I play regularly soon. Disc golf is easy and fun. I play to relax and enjoy making steady improvement.

The two sports are vastly different despite being superficially similar. Those who want to avoid "being more like real golf" are missing the point. There are many great things we can take from real golf to make our sport more challenging and more widely accepted. It's unfortunate that most disc golfers would rather tear down traditional golf than learn from it. After all, it's success is what we aspire to.

everything I just said

:clap:

Everytime I see a "golf is dead" item I just laugh at how ignorant it really is, golf is not dying, not in death throes, nor suffering. Private/public parks closed during the recession (like everything else). Golf is very strong, and will get stronger. The PGA majors are very riveting, I love watching how players react to that pressure.

Latest posts