• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 United States Disc Golf Championship

I can't believe there is **** talking going on here about people that want to discuss tournament happenings in real life, or even (god forbid) when people are out on the course. It's perfectly appropriate and commonplace to talk about pros, and what pros do/did, while you're playing pretty much any other sport.

Personally, watching pros on youtube is what got me into playing more seriously/competitively. Before I saw my first ever video I only ever played with people that exclusively drive forehand, putt with midranges, and foot fault like crazy both inside the circle and out. So there's an anecdotal piece of evidence to balance things out

You know what I love? Disc golf. Playing it, watching it, talking about it, practicing it, reading about it...dreaming about it when I should be working...

Know what I hate? Whining...but they promised edited final round coverage...boo hoo. If it shows up on YouTube great, if not big whoop. There are already lots of other great edited rounds with commentary...that are you guessed it...free! Go do something constructive with your time. Hey, here's an idea...take the unedited live footage and edit it with your own commentary if you care so much. (Thanks to all that do provide footage on the YouTubes!)

It was a great tournament with an adequate to solid live stream of the final round in very challenging conditions. I appreciate the effort that went into making that happen! I'm sure there are good reasons not to deliver on the "promised" edited final round coverage.

Let's move onto...I don't know...maybe talking about the actual tournament. Crazy finish...feel bad for Ricky...sooo close, but Paul's preparation seems to have been the difference. He had no doubt about how he wanted to approach each hole, and stuck to his plan! Loved watching him throw the shot on 17. That and the putt on 16...really? Just awesome!

What's the most memorable moment to you?

I didn't even get to my first pronouncement, either. Sigh. Well, it would have been that people should be allowed to enjoy disc golf in many different ways, and should not assume that their way is the only way. Now that I've been dethroned and defrocked, or whatever you call an ex-oracle, I'll keep that thought to myself.

You know what I love? Disc golf. Playing it, watching it, talking about it, practicing it, reading about it...dreaming about it when I should be working...

Know what I hate? Whining...but they promised edited final round coverage...boo hoo. If it shows up on YouTube great, if not big whoop. There are already lots of other great edited rounds with commentary...that are you guessed it...free! Go do something constructive with your time. Hey, here's an idea...take the unedited live footage and edit it with your own commentary if you care so much. (Thanks to all that do provide footage on the YouTubes!)

It was a great tournament with an adequate to solid live stream of the final round in very challenging conditions. I appreciate the effort that went into making that happen! I'm sure there are good reasons not to deliver on the "promised" edited final round coverage.

Let's move onto...I don't know...maybe talking about the actual tournament. Crazy finish...feel bad for Ricky...sooo close, but Paul's preparation seems to have been the difference. He had no doubt about how he wanted to approach each hole, and stuck to his plan! Loved watching him throw the shot on 17. That and the putt on 16...really? Just awesome!

What's the most memorable moment to you?
You sure showed em'.

zzzzzzzz

I didn't even get to my first pronouncement, either. Sigh. Well, it would have been that people should be allowed to enjoy disc golf in many different ways, and should not assume that their way is the only way. Now that I've been dethroned and defrocked, or whatever you call an ex-oracle, I'll keep that thought to myself.

Couldn't agree more, which was the point of my original oracle post. You post your point of view on just about every freakin thread on here.

Media is a huge part of the younger generation's lives, and I maintain that the youngsters are watching a lot of tourney vids in my area. Maybe not so in the rarefied air of SC. If a kid is trying to introduce his friends to DG, other than actually going out and throwing poorly, I can almost guarantee you he is queuing up a tourney vid to show how it's played for real.

Which, again, is why I'm 'upset' that there is no final round vid. Jussi is right that media proliferation is the way to go. He's also right that most of us can't see the 'sport' for the 'spot' we are in (myself included). So in failing to follow through on promised coverage, and the basic coverage those of us who follow the pro side of the sport have come to expect, is exactly that, a fail.

Upset is a relative term. It affects my life not at all. I actually am upset that people keep giving CCDG a hard time on here, when the dude gives so much time and effort to providing vids, and quite possibly has even engineered a final round editing for us through contact with SmashboxxTV/Terry.

Couldn't agree more, which was the point of my original oracle post. You post your point of view on just about every freakin thread on here.

Apologies. Though my post followed yours, it wasn't in response to yours, or intended to contradict it. Instead, I intended to chime in on this sequence:

I would go so far as to say that edited youtube coverage is the single most important contributor to the popularity of disc golf in the last 2-4 years.

I don't know anyone who decided to start playing disc golf because they saw a tournament youtube video. Us DG nerds love it but we were already DG nerds.

Heck, I've never once heard anyone mention a disc golf tournament video--and I move in lots of different segments of the disc golf community.

My guess is that a lot of other things than tournament videos have contributed to the growth of the sport, especially since that growth has continued at a brisk pace from well before tournament videos came along.

I don't disparage the tournament videos, nor those who enjoy them (and wish for more and better ones). It's not my cup of tea, but that doesn't mean that it can't or shouldn't be yours or anyone else's. I applaud all efforts to do more and better in disc golf.

I was just smirking at the "oracle" comment because, well, no one's every accused me of that before. No offense taken, and I hope no offense given.

Nice response David. As an elder and owner of one of the better private courses in the country; you do yourself and other long time; time investors, credit, by measuring your response, rather than "going all crazy" as the youngin's seem to do. :)

Nice response David. As an elder and owner of one of the better private courses in the country; you do yourself and other long time; time investors, credit, by measuring your response, rather than "going all crazy" as the youngin's seem to do. :)

Yes, nice backpedal, er, response David.

I agree there are many reasons for the growth of the sport, but you are still talking out of both sides your mouth re: people should be allowed to enjoy disc golf in many different ways, and should not assume that their way is the only way. But whatevs.

And tallpaul, when I build a private course out in the middle of nowhere that hardly anyone plays, I hope all my random opinions and assertions will carry as much weight, especially on topics that I admit are not my cup of tea.

Old White Guy Problems: being around long enough to smirk at everything that comes after me. No offense taken, hopefully some offense given.:D

Well at least the lack of a final round edited vid has managed to generate a lot of bad blood between DGCR members. I blame you, Jussi! (Not entirely kidding, but mostly)

Well at least the lack of a final round edited vid has managed to generate a lot of bad blood between DGCR members. I blame you, Jussi! (Not entirely kidding, but mostly)

90% of DGCR posters are fueled by butthurt, fanboyism, white knighting and idiocy. It's not just the USDGC causing it lol.

Thanks, Paul, but frankly, at this point I'm just confused. Which is, of course, a terrible thing for an oracle to admit. But I'm no longer an oracle, and my confusion is doubtless obvious to everyone, so it's okay.

Yes, nice backpedal, er, response David.

I agree there are many reasons for the growth of the sport, but you are still talking out of both sides your mouth re: people should be allowed to enjoy disc golf in many different ways, and should not assume that their way is the only way. But whatevs.

And tallpaul, when I build a private course out in the middle of nowhere that hardly anyone plays, I hope all my random opinions and assertions will carry as much weight, especially on topics that I admit are not my cup of tea.

Old White Guy Problems: being around long enough to smirk at everything that comes after me. No offense taken, hopefully some offense given.:D

Settle down there, Beavis. Disc Golf is serious business and all but maybe lay off the sugary drinks before you post in the future. :\

I would just like everyone to know that my sister lives in Huntington Beach, and probably rubs elbows with McBeth at Trader Joe's and stuff.

Every year they reenact the ENTIRE civil war, surely we can reenact one card of one round of disc golf. And I'm not just talking sour grapes and waiting for 2016!

Let's do this!!

Heck, I've never once heard anyone mention a disc golf tournament video--and I move in lots of different segments of the disc golf community.

Lots of newer players here watch all the videos and since most are impressionable kids you see them pick up the discs and wear the clothes that the top pros do.

Pretty much everyone I know that plays in this area watches tournament coverage on YouTube. We even have viewing parties sometimes where we get together to watch a tournament while socializing and eating/drinking. To hear you say that you've never once heard of anyone mention disc golf tournament video is making me wonder what hole do you live in. :)