• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Pro Worlds

Ricky is the best player in the world but "smooth" is not how I would describe his throwing style.

He used the word smooth to describe his approach to playing the game, not his throwing style. Maybe Zphix can elaborate on his post. Maybe he meant easygoing, uncomplicated, etc.

IMO, Nikko has a number of strategies he uses to try and gain advantages. One is that he keeps his bag a secret. He always has. It isn't personal, it's a tactic. It might be a worthless tactic, but I'm not sure anyone here would know the truth of that. John may be right, he may not want to help any sponsor, but Nikko is media savvy enough to know that if he said this is my go to disc, he'd be building a relationship with said company. Sometimes sweat equity is a good thing.

If Nikko really didn't like Smashboxx, he wouldn't do hole reviews for them. Nikko is a hard case, he wears it on his sleeve when he is in round, but everything you read about him off the course is that he is generous and polite.

He doesn't want the whole world to know the secret ingredient in the special sauce recipe is that there isn't a secret ingredient.

The illusion of there being a secret ingredient is what makes it magical.

However, Nikko has been pretty consistent -- Wizards in various stabilities for putters and drives. He doesn't seem to throw too many mids at all. When he does he cycles threw various molds. He always throws the Mongoose for rollers. As for drivers, he switches them up constantly between Innova and Legacy these days. He tends to favor various Destroyers for different shots.

When it comes down to it, Nikko seems to be a lot like Philo, fewer molds and more variability based on wear and plastic. Whereas Philo has been pretty consistent, Nikko is a bit more variable, especially with the drivers.

I agree that Nikko likes a bit of mystery when it concerns his discs. I don't think it is a tactic he uses against his competitors. At his level, they are almost all sponsored so are locked into a lineup of discs. I think Nikko likes being the one that can choose whatever molds suits his fancy. Almost all pros wish they could do that. Look at all the rumors about members of Team Prodigy using re-marked Firebirds when Prodigy had nothing like it and they needed it for different shots. I think Nikko likes being a free man and the illusion of what discs he carries. It is pretty obvious, in most cases, what he throws.

He doesn't want the whole world to know the secret ingredient in the special sauce recipe is that there isn't a secret ingredient.

However, Nikko has been pretty consistent -- Wizards in various stabilities for putters and drives. He doesn't seem to throw too many mids at all. When he does he cycles threw various molds. He always throws the Mongoose for rollers. As for drivers, he switches them up constantly between Innova and Legacy these days. He tends to favor various Destroyers for different shots.

When it comes down to it, Nikko seems to be a lot like Philo, fewer molds and more variability based on wear and plastic. Whereas Philo has been pretty consistent, Nikko is a bit more variable, especially with the drivers.

I agree that Nikko likes a bit of mystery when it concerns his discs. I don't think it is a tactic he uses against his competitors. At his level, they are almost all sponsored so are locked into a lineup of discs. I think Nikko likes being the one that can choose whatever molds suits his fancy. Almost all pros wish they could do that. Look at all the rumors about members of Team Prodigy using re-marked Firebirds when Prodigy had nothing like it and they needed it for different shots. I think Nikko likes being a free man and the illusion of what discs he carries. It is pretty obvious, in most cases, what he throws.

In his most recent in the bag, Nikko listed at least 15 molds. Felt like 20. His approach is nothing like Philo's.

In his most recent in the bag, Nikko listed at least 15 molds. Felt like 20. His approach is nothing like Philo's.

On putters and mids, Nikko for the most part only throws two molds -- Wizard and Roc. While he likes to flash a lot of drivers, he mostly just throws Destroyers and Firebirds (or Destroyer/Firebird equivalents from other manufacturers). However, when it comes down to competitions, he dials in on a few discs and favors them for the tournament. They vary from tournament to tournament, but when it comes down to it, he is trying to keep it simple -- putters and mids of the same mold in various stabilities and some workhorse drivers of the same mold. The one shot Nikko throws that Philo doesn't is the roller. Nikko has thrown the Mongoose for awhile now as his main roller disc.

A couple of things, I agree with your thoughts on Nikko's approach, the magic illusion thing. I've also heard the Wizard, Roc and other discs you've commented on, but some things have changed this year from comments made by GCoast and Terry. I heard the Harp mentioned, and I've heard a different putter mentioned at least once, think it was a Triology putter. That one really surprised me since all I've ever heard was the Wizard. Also heard the Mongoose mentioned as already pointed out.

On putters and mids, Nikko for the most part only throws two molds -- Wizard and Roc. While he likes to flash a lot of drivers, he mostly just throws Destroyers and Firebirds (or Destroyer/Firebird equivalents from other manufacturers). However, when it comes down to competitions, he dials in on a few discs and favors them for the tournament. They vary from tournament to tournament, but when it comes down to it, he is trying to keep it simple -- putters and mids of the same mold in various stabilities and some workhorse drivers of the same mold. The one shot Nikko throws that Philo doesn't is the roller. Nikko has thrown the Mongoose for awhile now as his main roller disc.

I have to admit, I've never heard the Destroyer mentioned in his bag, but clearly he has a big rim driver there. I just never knew what it was. Have heard the Firebird mentioned often.

I suspect, as you and funguy have alluded, he's more flexible than people think. He looks for ranges of flight and finds discs that fit that. Clearly, it works for him, discs aren't his problem, his mental game is. Did he really have a guru caddy? I can see that working for him.

He used the word smooth to describe his approach to playing the game, not his throwing style. Maybe Zphix can elaborate on his post. Maybe he meant easygoing, uncomplicated, etc.

The only way I see smooth associated with Ricky is his general speed and approach. Paul is smooth, Ricky is fast and powerful. Look at his throwing motion. Ricky's mental state, with the exception of when he has a few bad holes, seems more relaxed, focused yes, but relaxed.

I have to admit, I've never heard the Destroyer mentioned in his bag, but clearly he has a big rim driver there. I just never knew what it was. Have heard the Firebird mentioned often.

I suspect, as you and funguy have alluded, he's more flexible than people think. He looks for ranges of flight and finds discs that fit that. Clearly, it works for him, discs aren't his problem, his mental game is. Did he really have a guru caddy? I can see that working for him.

And it helps getting a couple birdies along the way, especially parking the island hole.

I've always liked hearing the pros disc selection during coverage. It's just like in stick golf them telling us when the golfer is using a wedge or which iron, etc. Like the commentators, I am impressed with how accurate Ricky is when throwing his Harps -- FH or BH. In the last two events I recall him missing his mark with a Harp once -- the last playoff hole of the Majestic when he clipped that branch off the tee and missed the island and everything. Of course he followed up that OB by banging the 65' putt and went on to win the event when Nate missed from 20'.

Rick missed with his blue Harp on hole 15 of the semis, pulled it right a little bit into some shrubs off the tee. Other than that, he was $$$$$ with it all week.

The kid? Can anyone expand on this?

The one she was hugging on the 18th? That's her nephew.

Rick missed with his blue Harp on hole 15 of the semis, pulled it right a little bit into some shrubs off the tee. Other than that, he was $$$$$ with it all week.

The one she was hugging on the 18th? That's her nephew.

Wait...Nate and Val don't have a kid? Wtf? Am I confusing pro disc golfers with friends of mine or something? Lol

Wait...Nate and Val don't have a kid? Wtf? Am I confusing pro disc golfers with friends of mine or something? Lol

A Jenkins / Doss baby will be big news in disc golf. You won't miss it when it happens. :)

$10,000 payout to Ricks win was (by far) the biggest payout right?

Any knowledge what ledge stone will be this year?

$10,000 payout to Ricks win was (by far) the biggest payout right?

Any knowledge what ledge stone will be this year?

Biggest payout at Worlds, yes. The USDGC winner routinely took home $10K or more in the pre-Performance Flight years (when the field was 150+ players). Climo in 2007 and Nikko in 2009 each won $15K which I think is still the highest first place payout in history.

European Masters final round hole ~13ish, the one where its straight for a long ways, line of trees on the left whole way, right side has more room until the trees curve to the left to create a narrow gap to get trough to the green and the pin is a little to the right. Paul blasted a perfect forehand for a lone tap in birdie when Ricky and Eagle both went backhand for some godforsaken reason.

Go on with your so-called "facts" and supposed "proof."

Biggest payout at Worlds, yes. The USDGC winner routinely took home $10K or more in the pre-Performance Flight years (when the field was 150+ players). Climo in 2007 and Nikko in 2009 each won $15K which I think is still the highest first place payout in history.

Yeah looks like Nate took 12 and so did will. Big payouts. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Point taken. My wireless at home went out, and I didn't get to see that hole. I'll watch the next day coverage.

But twice in two tournaments isnt too shabby, considering the various situations he's gone to it -- backhand drives and approaches, forehand drives hyzer-anhyzer-approaches and one knee, etc.