• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Vibram Birdie Bash

I know its crazy right that's why I only play in trilogy challenges because I get 3 disc's and swag when everyone else only gets 2 disc's and swag. you are getting screwed if you play in anything other than a trilogy challenge. [emoji6] [emoji6] [emoji6]

Trilogy is good, but I have always thought that the Discraft Ace Race was the best value on average year over year.

Andy - You are inferring far to much from my post, or far too little. I've already said that I'm a Vibram fan. I've already said I'll probably play a VBB. No, $10 isn't a big deal to me. That $40 price point will be a deciding factor for a lot of people, though, which impacts whether or not I'd choose to run one.

Your counterpoint argument, from my inference of it, is, "But it's disc golf! Even at a $10 increase, that's awesome! Because it's disc golf!" You're a PDGA member who posts disc golf videos and ponies up hundreds of your own dollars to run a VBB as a fund raiser. I don't expect my complaints to resonate much with you.

My last C-Tier event was $55 before the ace pool and CTP. BEFORE! That included one premium disc and one basic disc. The t-shirt was nice and it included a pulled pork lunch. No one, yes, no one complained about that price because of what you get.

Two vibram discs, a nice shirt and some swag will certainly total more than $40.

Yes, you might see a few in the used bin a PIAS but guess how many Ace Race Heat were in there as well. Our local PIAS stopped buying them because they had at least 20.

Then, throw in the fact the the whole thing is completely prepackaged is awesome. You literally have no time out of your pocket as a TD unless you decide to go out and get donations.

I guess I still don't get the PDGA gripes.

My last C-Tier event was $55 .....
I guess I still don't get the PDGA gripes.

Other than the TD's who are not current PDGA members, I don't see much griping about it being PDGA sanctioned. For me, and others I have noted on here, it is a non-factor. Doesn't really add or detract from the event.

While the BB will be PDGA sanctioned, when comparing it to other tournament options, I would still compare it to the other manufacture sponsored challenges, not to PDGA tournaments. Apples to oranges.

The main gripe is the $10 increase and how it can impact turn out. Yes, many will have no problem with the extra $10, but how many will it keep away? Enough to make the tournament too small to be worth running? That is the question I am trying to figure out before I commit to running it again.

I can see that honestly.

I think that providing a lunch will certainly help as well so I guess take that into the costs. Have 30 players and a kickback of $5 a player makes a decent lunch if you have some local place cut you a deal.

The main gripe is the $10 increase and how it can impact turn out. Yes, many will have no problem with the extra $10, but how many will it keep away? Enough to make the tournament too small to be worth running? That is the question I am trying to figure out before I commit to running it again.

This.

My area has people who have a hard time scrapping $3 together to play in league. I understand the value of these events, but some people it comes down to rent or disc golf.

From vibram , there are three answers here. First, if they have a friend that is a PDGA member, their friend can be the official TD for PDGA purposes. Second, if the TD does not want to do that, the event does not HAVE to be PDGA sanctioned. It is a value add to the event. Third, just in case there is confusion, no players need to join and there is no player fee to play (whether the player is PDGA or not).

FYI, as they usually do and I anticipated, the VBB site has been updated with more 2016-specific info/pics for the players pack and prizes. I'll happily eat some crow based on what they're showing coming in the players pack. Still unlikely to run one, but I sure would like to play in one.

For what it is worth, I know not everyone will have access to a VBB this year. In past events I have shipped out players packs to people that want one, but are unable to sign up for an event. If you want a pack, and are not able to play, feel free to PM me and we can work something out (normally it is players pack + about $6 for shipping).

Not to be overly cynical, but if it is to that point it might be time to refocus priorities.

Actually, IMO, you are being over cynical. [rant on] It's a sad comment that 1% of the people in this country own 90% of the money, and that is is a true statement that someone can't afford $3 for an event. I hear often enough how greedy the poor are, and how lazy they are, and how they should take better care of their money. Horse pucky. That a human being should have to scrimp on $3 for some play time while rich kids run people over and get off because no one ever told them that wasn't okay - true case, look up affluenza - bothers me. [rant off]

Even my big time Vibram throwers around here are telling me they probably won't be playing in a birdie bash this year. They figure they can go buy the vibram discs they like for less money than the $40. Last year there was so little interest early on that it was hard to get out there and drum up participants. I got some outside sponsors to donate some killer prizes, but I still only had 24 people. Part of the problem is disc golfers still struggle with pre-registering. They can use their paypal to buy and sell discs on facebook all day, but they can't log in and pay for a tourney. I will have harder time selling the value now, especially compared to similar events offered by other manufacturers.

Even my big time Vibram throwers around here are telling me they probably won't be playing in a birdie bash this year. They figure they can go buy the vibram discs they like for less money than the $40. Last year there was so little interest early on that it was hard to get out there and drum up participants. I got some outside sponsors to donate some killer prizes, but I still only had 24 people. Part of the problem is disc golfers still struggle with pre-registering. They can use their paypal to buy and sell discs on facebook all day, but they can't log in and pay for a tourney. I will have harder time selling the value now, especially compared to similar events offered by other manufacturers.
Yeah disc golfers are a strange bunch. Every year I play in a couple of these type of events and 99% of the time the disc's I get never stay in the bag.
At least with the vibram option you get some kind of choice and if you don't like the disc you have a much better chance of trading/selling that disc than with the overly saturated other events where 1000s of people have the same disc.
What these events should do is make it a $10 entry fee and the disc's you get are cheap baseline plastic disc's and at the end of the event you could have the option of paying for the disc's or upgrading or giving them back to the company for recycling.

Yeah disc golfers are a strange bunch. Every year I play in a couple of these type of events and 99% of the time the disc's I get never stay in the bag.
At least with the vibram option you get some kind of choice and if you don't like the disc you have a much better chance of trading/selling that disc than with the overly saturated other events where 1000s of people have the same disc.
What these events should do is make it a $10 entry fee and the disc's you get are cheap baseline plastic disc's and at the end of the event you could have the option of paying for the disc's or upgrading or giving them back to the company for recycling.

This man is a genius! Someone fax this over to Steve Dodge!!

I think it is kind of funny that in the, everything should be free, world of disc golf, some are aghast that Vibram could be in business to make a profit. I don't see that they are here, but they are a business. The ultimate goal should always be to make money.

I have run a VBB every year since inception. With these changes, I may not run one this year.

I'm also exploring other options unfortunately this year... It's a tough sell, I believe it's a great deal for the $40 - $100 value thing. But most people I know only buy 2 Vibram discs per year, and they get them at a Great Value at the Birdie Bash. Vibram needs to make some money - I bet compared to the Discraft Ace Race, a HUGE percentage of the discs they sell each year go to Birdie Bashes.

Unfortunately, we're accustomed to $20-$30 event fees. I know at my location, it would be a struggle to get even half the number of players for a $40 event as a $25. Shoot, I could buy at retail a premium driver and baseline putter for $25, and put the remaining $15 towards swag and prizes. Probably won't, but I do know that I'm not going to be able to swing a $40 event, unfortunately.

With the drifit polo, this is back in the realm of "worth doing." Just means I may have to sell a disc or two to get there, but it might be worth it. Figure a drifit polo is usually $35-$40 by itself.

Still not thrilled with the disc choices, though.

The polo shirt looks ok, best disc golf shirt ever? I'm not so sure.

8071617_orig.jpg

:\

Actually, IMO, you are being over cynical. [rant on] It's a sad comment that 1% of the people in this country own 90% of the money, and that is is a true statement that someone can't afford $3 for an event. I hear often enough how greedy the poor are, and how lazy they are, and how they should take better care of their money. Horse pucky. That a human being should have to scrimp on $3 for some play time while rich kids run people over and get off because no one ever told them that wasn't okay - true case, look up affluenza - bothers me. [rant off]

This may be the first time and should be the last time disc golf and affluenza are ever mentioned in a paragraph together.
:|

Latest posts