• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2017 Discraft Ace Race

Ready to mail the tester disc, courtesy of JRW III. Any takers?

Wait, whats going on? Are you guys mailing around an ar17? Is it Yellow? Im going to my ace race this saturday so i guess ill get a couple anyway. Ive been catching up around here. You guys think the ar17 is maybe like a shorter Heat? I bag the Heat and always thought a shorter version would be fun.

How does the AR17 compare to an Eagle L? I know it looks about a speed slower, but is it flippier?

Ready to mail the tester disc, courtesy of JRW III. Any takers?

I'd take that off your hands if it's still hanging around.

Wait, whats going on? Are you guys mailing around an ar17? Is it Yellow? Im going to my ace race this saturday so i guess ill get a couple anyway. Ive been catching up around here. You guys think the ar17 is maybe like a shorter Heat? I bag the Heat and always thought a shorter version would be fun.

JRW III started it up. It's hot pink, soft ESP, and I could see this as a slower Heat. It has a straight wing, not convex like the Heat, but would be closer in feel than a concave one I suppose.

How does the AR17 compare to an Eagle L? I know it looks about a speed slower, but is it flippier?

I'd take that off your hands if it's still hanging around.

Similar wing, but much flippier and slower. PM me your address and I'll mail it out to you.

So I got my Ace Race goodies today for my tourney and with that is all the extra discs for 1st, 2nd, etc...Does Discraft define what first place is supposed to get (Other than the AR champion Disc)? I'm figuring the bag and maybe a few others...Can't seem to find something on the web site or is it basically up to the TD?

About 6 years ago my friend came in 2nd place and got a single disc, while the person in 1st got a bag and like 10 discs. I thought that was a little stupid.

Are people noticing much difference from disc to disc? pLH. Colour. Dome. Weight. Etc

About 6 years ago my friend came in 2nd place and got a single disc, while the person in 1st got a bag and like 10 discs. I thought that was a little stupid.

I played the 2007 Ace Race in the Black Hills on a short course near a school and got second well the top guy had a top of the line Innova bag the non backpack one either the Innova Disccarrier or the smaller Tourney model with the new Quad Shocks from Infinite Discs Brand, so he gave me the bag and Hat as he did not need them, He had the old logo Discraft Hat or some Innova one that a few of the sponsored players from Innova wore at the time. I did last year modify the bag In a last ditch attempt to try and keep using it by getting a second water bottle holder and a some Clip on Fishing Backpack straps. I just ended up this year getting a Vertex Fishing Backpack modified for use as a Disc golf Bag, $64 for the bag then $10 for the second soft water bottle holder Stroller type, one I fixed to sit better on the bag to make it $74 total.

Other odd rule, back then you could only use the Ace Race disc could not use your discs from your bag that you have.

Last edited:
... and there would be absolutely no Innova stuff

Not necessarily. Now during the ace race rounds then of course all you can use are the two discs in your Discraft players pack. BUT if you want to give away non-Discraft discs (or other non Discraft dg items) as either CTP's, raffles, door prizes, etc. you can give away whatever you want.

I know cause I asked. ;)

-Dave

I saw an Ace Race on YouTube from 2012 where they could use their bag as well in the tournament but had to use the Ace Race disc on every hole, they were playing more like a regular tournament PDGA rules but not a PDGA tournament as you had to use the Ace Race disc on every hole.

Not an Ace Race anymore. At least, not how Discraft defines it anyways. And frankly, assuming they're doing that in place of the regular AR rules that's a bit disingenuous for a TD to do such a thing IMHO. Discraft is pretty specific on how they want these events run and for how much swag you get for the money I don't think it's too much to ask...

Not an Ace Race anymore. At least, not how Discraft defines it anyways. And frankly, assuming they're doing that in place of the regular AR rules that's a bit disingenuous for a TD to do such a thing IMHO. Discraft is pretty specific on how they want these events run and for how much swag you get for the money I don't think it's too much to ask...

That makes sense, it is an ongoing tournament somewhere in the USA as that 2012 one was the 4th or 5th annual event. I Only ever found the event once on YouTube. Swag was the same for aces and hitting the basket and CTP's you know how they run that but then other separate prizes were for the score and such.

Last edited:
Just got registered for one on the 29th. From the description, I really doubt I'm going to like the discs, but the event should be a fun time regardless.

I hope this flies something like a Discmania S-FD.

To me, I thought it was very similar in flight to the S-FD. During the Ace Race, I was often throwing it forehand, from a standstill, without much arm speed. I was getting a very straight flight, with a gliding, mostly forward fade at the end. I don't throw Discraft fairways, so I don't know if any of their older molds fly similar in base plastic. I would say it's a good premium plastic entry for that River/Leopard/FD/maybe Crave slot. I hit a ton of trees with it, and the ESP still looks like new. Great for carving up the woods. I do think the description they gave as a reliable point and shoot disc for lower power throwers is dead on.

Great another super flippy disc that most players really can't use. I know its for beginners but make something stable, a Buzzz is used by beginners and pro's alike so I don't know why the disc always needs to be flippy. The Zombee was the best Ace RAce disc. Straight glide for everyone!

Most players really can't use a fairway driver that can be thrown straight, on a hyzer, or a turnover?! What are you basing that statement on? Have you even thrown the disc? Are you planning to participate in an Ace Race? I don't know why you are dismissing it as super flippy. Yes, at fast speeds I would not call it overstable, but Discraft claims the disc is a beginner friendly, point-and-shoot driver for slower arms. I would say that is a very fair description.

been bagging it for a bit now. went up to 4100' elevation from 200' where i normally play and the ar17 was bombing from a hyzer flip just standing up and cruising. i still think the Lat64 Maul is the closest to how this flies.

That's interesting because the Maul is a really great disc. Color me interested.

I wonder what they'll name this one. Hopefully something cool. The Archer was a great name.

Great another super flippy disc that most players really can't use. I know its for beginners but make something stable, a Buzzz is used by beginners and pro's alike so I don't know why the disc always needs to be flippy. The Zombee was the best Ace RAce disc. Straight glide for everyone!

I would say 90% of disc golfers would benefit from throwing a flippier bag and not trying to torque the same OS discs that pros use but that's just me.

Latest posts