• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Glass Blown Open

well..that was quick..

"Keeping player safety paramount, and considering the worsening course and weather conditions, the final round has been canceled."

well..that was quick..

"Keeping player safety paramount, and considering the worsening course and weather conditions, the final round has been canceled."

It's a big problem (weather cancellations at the end of the tournament) but there's no good an easy fix. However, in this case with the last round on a Saturday, they really should have had the Open players at least stick around and play tomorrow. I know, travel, I know, logistics. But in this case, postponing the final round would be much more plausible on a Sunday than on a Monday like many other weeks.

It's a big problem (weather cancellations at the end of the tournament) but there's no good an easy fix. However, in this case with the last round on a Saturday, they really should have had the Open players at least stick around and play tomorrow. I know, travel, I know, logistics. But in this case, postponing the final round would be much more plausible on a Sunday than on a Monday like many other weeks.

If that's to be the plan, to use Sunday as a make-up day, then they have to plan for it in advance. They can't just decide today that they're postponing until tomorrow. They have to say when they schedule the event that it will run Thursday to Saturday with Sunday set aside in case of delays.

That may be what these events have to do in the future, but it's going to be a matter of cost in terms of how many can actually plan for a rain date. I'm going to guess few tournaments will actually do it. Everyone's operating on a tight budget as it is. It's an expense to reserve courses for another day "just in case"...one that few TDs/organizations can likely afford.

I know it's getting old to say it, but this kind of thing is a fluke. Sure this is the third time in less than a year that a final round has been lost to weather, but how often had it happened in, say, the 10 years previous? I can't recall a single time, at least for the highest profile events (NTs, Majors, etc). We might not see it again for another 10 years.

In here in Emporia and started a few holes before the cancellation. Jones east was starting to flood at 8:30 so I can only imagine that it was going to get worse. I would bet that Sunday would still have issues weather wise.

If that's to be the plan, to use Sunday as a make-up day, then they have to plan for it in advance. They can't just decide today that they're postponing until tomorrow. They have to say when they schedule the event that it will run Thursday to Saturday with Sunday set aside in case of delays.

That may be what these events have to do in the future, but it's going to be a matter of cost in terms of how many can actually plan for a rain date. I'm going to guess few tournaments will actually do it. Everyone's operating on a tight budget as it is. It's an expense to reserve courses for another day "just in case"...one that few TDs/organizations can likely afford.

I know it's getting old to say it, but this kind of thing is a fluke. Sure this is the third time in less than a year that a final round has been lost to weather, but how often had it happened in, say, the 10 years previous? I can't recall a single time, at least for the highest profile events (NTs, Majors, etc). We might not see it again for another 10 years.
Part of the reality is - we are seeing some pretty serious changes in the weather patterns as the jet stream shifts to a new norm. Weekends that once were settled into by larger events for their relative good weather over time may have to shift for consistently dry weather. All a big if and we may need years to determine what the new norm is - but it falls in line with predictions regarding what happens to the jet stream when the oceans warm.

Yeah, Ricky probably can't throw the GBO guys under the bus, ya know?

What with the DD/Lat. connection.

I'm sure he will fully support this particular decision.

Las Vegas is giving odds. Something about Ricky winning every major not cancelled by weather.

I assume this will be addressed. It's not an issue covered or mentioned, but having a contingency plan for weather will most likely end up in the rules or discussion in the foreseeable future.

Part of the reality is - we are seeing some pretty serious changes in the weather patterns as the jet stream shifts to a new norm. Weekends that once were settled into by larger events for their relative good weather over time may have to shift for consistently dry weather. All a big if and we may need years to determine what the new norm is - but it falls in line with predictions regarding what happens to the jet stream when the oceans warm.

You must know something about meteorology/climatology that the experts don't. Your comment sounds legit, but you don't know what you don't know. I have a PhD in climatology and you are all wet.

Regardless of the cause, there could probably be some better scheduling for some of these events now that they are "National Tour" or DGPT/DGWT. Some of these events are scheduled in exactly what could be problematic times for the region. On the other hand, there are a number of events in much more benign weather areas.

I currently live in Oklahoma, so I can identify with problems in Kansas (GBO) or Texas (Nick Hyde). Schedule events in those places in spring, and you might enjoy very beautiful weather (most beautiful time of the year, in my opinion... see round 2 at Jones East) but there's also a 1-5% chance of the worst weather of the year (e.g. tornadoes or at least thunderstorms or torrential rains with flooding). Seems like if it's impossible to have a way to make up final rounds for these tournaments, they should probably be relegated back to a plain old A-tier event OR rescheduled for a time where tournament-preventing weather will almost certainly not be a problem (summer or fall would both work better, I think). There are other areas of the country that would work much better in April & May...

GBO Definitely needs to be moved to either summer or fall, especially if they plan to continue to use Olpe.

This is Kansas weather in April, it rains and storms. Either it will do so before the event and courses like Olpe will be a disaster, or it will do it during the event and rounds will be cancelled.

This is too big of an event to not be able to find a way too schedule it differently.

You must know something about meteorology/climatology that the experts don't. Your comment sounds legit, but you don't know what you don't know. I have a PhD in climatology and you are all wet.

This should be fun. So, is climate change:

a) a Chinese hoax?

b) a cabal of several thousand climatologists who have correlated all of their false data across a couple of hundred thousand papers to make sure it's consistent?

If it's b, what are the meetings like? Do you guys debate false models to pick the most interesting ones? And how did you guys get the temperatures to increase year to year? Did you modify the thermometers so the read the temp higher than it was? Frankly I'm impressed with the effort. Personally, I think you guys are better than Spector. Of course, in the end 007 killed them all off so you might want to keep your secret agent backpacks handy.