• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 MPO Worlds - Augusta

So did they have a par wrong on one of the holes yesterday? I noticed the scoreboard still shows a -12 and -8 for Wysocki and MCray, but their totals were -21.

*The -21 is showing on the event scores page, not the live scoring. Live scoring had them at -20 to start the day.*

Last edited:
Paul doing what Paul does, turning it on late, and probably not enough.

Nate Doss! I'd love to see Nate finish two. I say two cause nobody is beating Ricky unless Ricky beats Ricky.

Plenty of holes left for FPO, but doesn't appear anyone will catch PP unless she has one of her meltdowns. Would really like to see Val or even Lisa F win.

Paul doing what Paul does, turning it on late, and probably not enough.

Nate Doss! I'd love to see Nate finish two. I say two cause nobody is beating Ricky unless Ricky beats Ricky.

Looks like he and Simon are fighting for a spot on the lead card tomorrow.

Nate had a great day, but I don't see him finishing better than 5th or 6th with the competition still ahead of him.

Can someone explain world's to me? I thought it was like seven rounds or something. It's just four rounds and that's it??

Whelp... I was rooting for Simon and Eagle, but damn if Rick isn't just running the eff away with it!

Plenty of holes left for FPO, but doesn't appear anyone will catch PP unless she has one of her meltdowns. Would really like to see Val or even Lisa F win.

This might turn out to be the least exciting Worlds in a while. Only four rounds and two easy winners.

Can someone explain world's to me? I thought it was like seven rounds or something. It's just four rounds and that's it??

They shrunk it down. They did this to open up more options. 7 rounds over 4 courses and something like 7 different divisions was a strain on everyone.

Shrinking it down to Just Men's Open and Women's Open over 4 rounds and 2 courses is much easier for the host organization to get the area ready and maintained. It opens the door to lots of other areas that want to make a bid to host Worlds because they don't need to produce 4 championship quality courses. It's also a lot less time, money, and energy for the players. Their travel time is shortened, their practice is a lot more focused, etc. Coverage teams like Jomez or CCDG don't need to dedicate an entire week of filming mixed in with the days of prep before and days of post after.

It very well may grow a bit in the coming years (final 9, 27 hole round, 2 rounds on a short course, etc.), but that will depend on the area the tournament is being held in.

Wow, McCray bogeys 18 and puts himself 4th on the lead card. Hammes now in 2nd. I mean, 8 away from the lead...but still 2nd.

This format kind of makes Worlds a yawner.

I mean it's somewhat exciting seeing the battles for 2nd through whatever.

However if we are ever going to stimulate the spectator side of things, I just don't see it happening when there is no drama for the winner.

It's just another 4 round tournament.

We already have lots of those.

Love that some guy I've never heard of is in 2nd place beating lizotte, mcbeth, and mccray. Go Adam Hammes!

Isn't this exactly what happened last year? Ricky is just running away with it. At least when Paul won, Ricky at least kept it close. If Ricky just maintains this (and who is to say he won't improve) I could def see him Trumping Paul's 4x.

This format kind of makes Worlds a yawner.

I mean it's somewhat exciting seeing the battles for 2nd through whatever.

However if we are ever going to stimulate the spectator side of things, I just don't see it happening when there is no drama for the winner.

It's just another 4 round tournament.

We already have lots of those.

That's all professional ball golf has. They do alright.

The production value is what will need drive the event above others. It's all about the prestige, not the rounds played.

I think it's just coincidence that the first year they change the format also happens to be kind of dull as far as crowning a winner. Lots of people that should give Ricky a challenge didn't show up to play. A few more rounds may have closed that gap, but it also could have made it even more lopsided.

It's not exciting when anyone runs away with it, but props to Rick for playing the way he has. Interesting to see how the USDGC will stack up this year with all the top pros.

Thanks! I'm not big on final nines. I prefer a cut and last round of the top guys. That would certainly be more than one or even two cards.

If they are looking for a spectator/media showcase (which I thought they were) then a final 9 of one group only is the way to go.