• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open Presented by Discraft

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
It's right around the corner!

The 2017 Pittsburgh Flying Disc Open is in just three weeks, and the club is hard at work preparing the world-class course that is Moraine State Park for the event. Everything is looking beautiful in the area, and I really hope to see a lot of players as well as spectators taking in one of the best experiences in the world.

As far as details, I will try to update this as much as possible, and if anybody has any questions, please pose them in this thread and I will be sure to answer them.

Link to registration: https://www.discgolfscene.com/tournaments/Pittsburgh_Flying_Disc_Open_Presented_by_Discraft_2017

No questions or comments???

Anyways, most holes currently have two baskets in place, meaning you can play the hole in all layouts that the tournament will be in!

Course work is being done everyday, so if you are in town, please stop by and lend a hand. Check the Pittsburgh Disc Golf Community facebook page for more.

Will the course be open for public play after all tournament rounds are finished for the day?

Most likely the days rounds will not be over until 7 PM, followed by the movement of baskets after the rounds, meaning the course will be closed for casual play.

Are they only playing Moraine? I was looking forward to watching the big guys play Deer Lakes again, as it is my current no. 1 course. Moraine is phenomenal too of course though.

Btw, does anyone know if there will be Jomez/CCDG/Prodigy coverage? I don't live in the area now, and that's how I'd see it. I'm assuming there will be someone covering, as I recall seeing the top guys (Paul, Ricky, etc.) signed up.

Are they only playing Moraine? I was looking forward to watching the big guys play Deer Lakes again, as it is my current no. 1 course. Moraine is phenomenal too of course though.

Btw, does anyone know if there will be Jomez/CCDG/Prodigy coverage? I don't live in the area now, and that's how I'd see it. I'm assuming there will be someone covering, as I recall seeing the top guys (Paul, Ricky, etc.) signed up.

They are only playing Moraine, and as you would know, there is a good reason for it.

Moraine and Deer Lakes are not extremely close to eachother, and the pros need to find the best place to stay, and to drive 1 hour each way, just because you have to stay in a central location was not feasible.

They are only playing Moraine, and as you would know, there is a good reason for it.

Moraine and Deer Lakes are not extremely close to eachother, and the pros need to find the best place to stay, and to drive 1 hour each way, just because you have to stay in a central location was not feasible.

Bummer, but that makes sense, especially with the trend leaning towards having a lower amount of courses for the top events. And yeah, when I drove from my mom's house in Freeport out there when I played Moraine, I was reminded how that drive feels waaaayyyy longer than the distance shows. Thanks for the updates, look forward to catching the action.

Next Wednesday from 5-6 PM at Knob Hill, pro clinic with Sarah Hokom and Nate Sexton!!! Come and learn from the best!!!

Let's get ready to rumble!

Course looks great, the players have been out practicing for a week, and the weather looks perfect.

Should be an exciting tournament, who do you have?

Its hard to believe anyone is gonna beat Mcbeth on that course... Well if he plays like he did last time he was there anyway...

Its hard to believe anyone is gonna beat Mcbeth on that course... Well if he plays like he did last time he was there anyway...

Ricky has been giving him a run for his money the last couple of years, and he has won PFDO twice before Paul won Worlds there. On those courses anything can happen!

The one thing that seems clear is that there are different kinds of players with different skills sets. Paul seems to be a utility player that excels on all types of courses. MJ and Conrad are wooded course players. Ricky, is a utility player, but not quite as skilled in the woods as Paul, IMO. But better in more open settings.

I'm curious to see how this is gonna go too.

I've loved watching Uli step it up this year. I'd like to see him win one.

They are using different pins for round 1, than they are for rounds2-3.

Friday
Gold (Open): 8,730 feet
Average Hole Length: 485 feet
Blue (Open Women): 7,410 feet
Average Hole Length: 412 feet
Record: Paul McBeth, 51 (2015 Pro Worlds)
Saturday & Sunday
Gold (Open): 9,048 feet
Average Hole Length: 503 feet
Blue (Open Women): 7,719 feet
Average Hole Length: 429 feet
Record: Sarah Hokom, 56 (2012 PFDO)
Pin positions change between rounds 1 and 2 on many of the holes:

https://discgolf.ultiworld.com/2017...sc-open-preview-stealing-momentum-steel-city/

Latest posts