• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2019 Waco Annual Charity Open presented by Dynamic Discs

I noped out of FPO R1F9 after about two minutes. The shaking was giving me a headache, and the frame rate is. . . weird, like an old-timey film where it seems like everyone's waddling around too quickly.

Am I the only one who wants to see 17's basket moved to that piece of land where Simon's drive landed?

Yeah, the camerawork had me laughing out loud multiple times, especially on the 10th tee (I think) when the camera guy distracted Paul because he was lurking behind some branches as if he was trying not to be seen. Then they cut to that camera shot and you see Paul obscured by leaves, like the viewer is some creepy stalker. It was good to have that comic relief because overall it was hard to watch, [...]

They should let Tyler and Brian have a go on it! That would be a highlight.

Nova, that is strange, I don't notice anything odd with the framerate specifically. I think there are places where they need to clean some things up for sure.

My takeaways from the post stuff:

Negatives:
I saw some shots that were clearly missed.
I saw quite a few questionable edits. Extra walking, lingering on players before they throw for too long, and odd cuts during putts.
They will have to figure out the drone issue. Some of them were bad. Some of them were not even drone shots.
Doesn't look like they rendered out the footage in 60fps.
Would still like to see more steady shots. More monopods.

Positives:
The crispness of the video is good.
On screen graphics look very nice (minus a few data mistakes).
They are getting better at following the discs compared to Memorial.

If they can produce this quality of coverage or slightly better in a more reasonable time, I think that this passes the smell test for me.

I watched FPO round 1 and part of round 2 last night. The video quality was not Jomez/CCDG, but it wasn't unwatchable. Sarah Hokum and the Paiges were good on commentary, and I really liked it that they told us what discs they were using. The biggest negatives were that some putts were shown literally right behind the player, so one did not see the disc until it hit the chains, if at all. Also, it seemed like camerapersons were dodging (pun not intended) out of the way of approach shots to the basket, IOW they were poorly placed to be directly in throwing lanes.

I was just glad to see some disc golf, but I would NOT pay to watch what Dodge & Co. are putting out right now...

I watched half of the MPO first round and just gave up. Only positive was that A.J wasn't doing commentary.

Too little, too late

Thanks Steve, way to grow the sport!

Live was awful. This coverage wasnt to bad. Is DGPT like gonna take over every tournament? Like Jonesboro etc?

Jonesboro has been a DGPT event since its inception in 2017. I don't think they have any new events for 2019*.

Last edited:
Thanks, I had a hard time finding the list of events on the DGPT website.

THANK YOU! If Steve should be lambasted about something it is the DGPT website being hard to navigate and find information now. Something changed and it is impossible to see the tour. I was looking for Jonesboro info and ended up having to go thru the PDGA page to the Jonesboro website. Tsk Tsk.

THANK YOU! If Steve should be lambasted about something it is the DGPT website being hard to navigate and find information now. Something changed and it is impossible to see the tour. I was looking for Jonesboro info and ended up having to go thru the PDGA page to the Jonesboro website. Tsk Tsk.

Yea, I dont see why they changed the website, it was pretty good last year. Now it is like the rest of this mess... a badly polished turd.

is it that much to ask to publish the round videos in order?

the drone shots are atrocious but the camera work is a little better than it was for the Memorial. still odd at times but at least they're not abusing the zoom so much. my biggest complaint is that the graphics are constantly incorrect. that's the quality of the work after stalling these videos for a week?

i have to eat my words from that other thread when i defended Steve before the season started and said "let's wait and see how it looks". i was so wrong.

i suspected that it was just a guy walking the camera down the fairway. i was fooled by the commentators referring to them as drone shots.

also, graphics in the bottom left are an awful choice. you miss the ground play whenever a shot finishes left side of the frame.

nearly every detail seems poorly thought

Yea, I dont see why they changed the website, it was pretty good last year. Now it is like the rest of this mess... a badly polished turd.

Maybe Steve told DGPT could do also the website by themself and kicked the corresponding team from last year...just guessing.

I like how some throws don't have any catch cam footage, so you see the disc disappear behind the trees, no idea where it lands, then quick cut to the next player. Not weird or jarring at all. The graphics suck too.

I'm glad I'll be in the gallery at Jonesboro, won't even bother watching the coverage.