• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2021 Waco Annual Charity Open Mar 12-14

I haven't been on this forum much in the last year. Watched Waco and decided to pop in here. Good to see that you all still turn every tournament discussion into a rules discussion.

I mean, the tournament is over, what else should we talk about?

Their fashion choices?

Ricky was completely oblivious to where his mini was, it was 3 feet away! He should have seconded it himself though, he reached for his mini way in front after, which then of course he realizes he made a mistake. He may not have known he could have called it on himself though. I think he went on to win as well though I'm not positive.

Cmon Rick. Learn the rules.
He wasn't oblivious when he was standing right behind his mini looking up at the angle he needed to get passed that tree on the live feed...

Great final round. That's two DGPT wins for Nikko now, right? Developing that forehand and spin putt over the last few years has been crucial. Old dog; New tricks.

Honestly, he should be an inspiration to anyone that thinks they are stuck with the shots they have, or that has a reputation for losing their **** on the course. People can improve; "it's only about what you are willing to do"

Doss has listened to his critics. He's backed off some of the manufactured drama, less "beautiful shots", etc, he's coming along.

Ian still talks way too fast and always seems very nervous on camera, with Doss nudging him in the arm to speak, etc. Ian seems like a wealth of information, could be utilized to pump information (discs, stats, etc) into the headphones of the guys doing commentary.

Nate has proved he's very relaxed doing live as well. Would love to see/hear Doss&Sexton in the booth. I still prefer Terry over Doss, but for sure Terry over Jamie in the field.

Nikko was a blast to watch. Dude's game was solid as a rock. Would love to see him take it down tomorrow.

A 15 year old 5 strokes out of 1st, beating the highest rated player in the world and the current 5x world champ? :popcorn:

Again, maybe it is "critics" or maybe it is his own growth. Only he knows for sure.

wow seriously thank you im glad we have someone of your age and wisdom to share it here

If you aren't a youngster, then clearly the message wasn't for you. It's like saying "...here's a tip for beginners...." I wasn't trying to insult anyone already in the know, only to address the large number of people on these forums new to the disc golf scene.

Now if I've misinterpreted the sarcasm, I apologize once again. And I thank you for the comment & praise.

2 quick thoughts on Nikko's use of time:

Like has been said, if you're gonna call him on it, you've gotta time it. One person setting a timer on their phone doesn't mean anything...meaning you'd need another person verifying that it was start/stopped in accordance correctly. If you're on his card are you really going to take yourself out of your own game by constantly clocking his time? I know for sure I'd want 100% of my focus directed at my own performance...especially with cash on the line.

Which kinda brings me to my second point...none of you think there are instances where excessive time can get in his head a bit and allow him to overthink shots? He's very streaky...if he's on he can hang with anybody, but also has stretches where he melts down. If I'm a competitor on his card I honestly am not sure how much his excessive time really helps his game...so I'm not worried about it.

Nah. When caddies are back the player can have his caddie do it and never leave his own state of focus.

Either Bradley Williams has done a lot of growing up recently or he had an undeserved reputation for being a jerk. Having him [emoji441] up and hearing his encouraging comments on every single throw was awesome. Loved his interview talking about balance being the most important thing

A.

From what I understand, Brad has always been a nice dude, but used to play very quiet and reserved. Due to this he was called for multiple courtesy violations (bumping into someone while walking with his head down, not communicating when someone was talking to him about being in his line of sight for a shot). He was suspended for a year and had some injuries, giving him little to no opportunity to improve his reputation.

Seems like he's taken to heart that some people misunderstood his quiet nature and he's intentionally trying to correct that.

Not my understanding at all. My understanding is he has suffered from lack of impulse control multiple times in the past which led to his suspension, etc. He appears to be much better now and would make a very good commentator as well.

There is video out there. People just have to find it. pm me and I'll give you the words to google.

Also the pdga rule should require TDs to make clear who all officials are that can make rulings. I'm not certain this happened but I heard something about the former executive director of the pdga being asked to make calls on a card at the world championships! That always seemed kinda weird to me.

The rules do.

I mean, the tournament is over, what else should we talk about?

Their fashion choices?

Yes!

Like Bradley William's shirt: does any old poly all-over-print shirt fit in with the PDGA rules dress code as a "high-performance" material?

Ah darn. Went right back to rules....

He wasn't oblivious when he was standing right behind his mini looking up at the angle he needed to get passed that tree on the live feed...

You're saying he cheated on purpose? I doubt he would risk losing a stroke to gain a little angle. But if you are saying he knew after the fact, for sure he did. You can't be that far from your mini and not realize after you throw.

Nah. When caddies are back the player can have his caddie do it and never leave his own state of focus.

A.

There is video out there. People just have to find it. pm me and I'll give you the words to google.

The rules do.

Bradley has changed a bit probably as well, matured. I'm always willing to accept people for how they are currently, versus past "mistakes."

I actually like that Nikko is who he is. I'm sure we all could do with less of the angry Nikko blowups and 30 second putting routine (if it is that long really). That stuff can effect card mates in a negative way as a distraction. But on the plus side he's not trying to be anyone he isn't and not apologizing for being passionate about the game. Kudos and respect.

I wonder if everyone would be so forgiving if Brodie Smith took 40-50 seconds or more to putt?

People would lose their damn minds for sure.

He would get no slack. The Brodie hate is real. Hell, im jealous of him, but im aware of that enough to not post nonsense about him.

Nikko had more shots in the 50-70 second range in that final round, than he didnt. Even if the other players didnt care because he was losing strokes, it is torture to watch live AND clearly/obnoxiously breaking the rules ON EVERY HOLE.

He also is a sensitive lil cry baby ,as seen on video, and i have had several interactions in person with him. He is not some misunderstood guy...he is exactly what you see.

People would lose their damn minds for sure.

He would get no slack. The Brodie hate is real. Hell, im jealous of him, but im aware of that enough to not post nonsense about him.

Nikko had more shots in the 50-70 second range in that final round, than he didnt. Even if the other players didnt care because he was losing strokes, it is torture to watch live AND clearly/obnoxiously breaking the rules ON EVERY HOLE.

He also is a sensitive lil cry baby ,as seen on video, and i have had several interactions in person with him. He is not some misunderstood guy...he is exactly what you see.

I didn't watch live, are you telling me he literally sat in his putting stance for 60 seconds? I got to go check this out.

I mean geeze. Hole 13 Nikko's second shot...he is wide open in the fairway. After he put his marker down it was 1 minute and 10 seconds before he threw.

No other player takes this long

Nikkos putt on hole 13 ...

58 seconds after he marked(addressed) his lie.

Ok im done. Just one of the reasons he is the only disc golfer i actively root against.

I didn't watch live, are you telling me he literally sat in his putting stance for 60 seconds? I got to go check this out.

I just did this on 1 hole. It was happening the whole round. I guess some would say im whining about it and i say....its fun to see them whine about me whining...

See....we can all play on the interweb

Last edited:
It was over the limit and excessive. By the time he got to his mini I timed him at 48,48,38 on the three I watched. He rubs his hands in dirt then literally stands over his putt for 30+ seconds kind of fiddling with his putter.

I'm glad I don't watch live.

It was over the limit and excessive. By the time he got to his mini I timed him at 48,48,38 on the three I watched. He rubs his hands in dirt then literally stands over his putt for 30+ seconds kind of fiddling with his putter.

I'm glad I don't watch live.

I believe time starts when you address your lie. So when its your turn and you place the mini down or step up to your disc...the clock starts.

You're saying he cheated on purpose? I doubt he would risk losing a stroke to gain a little angle. But if you are saying he knew after the fact, for sure he did. You can't be that far from your mini and not realize after you throw.

He knew exactly what he was doing. A player of his quality doesn't miss his mini by that much and the situation only makes me more certain.

I believe time starts when you address your lie. So when its your turn and you place the mini down or step up to your disc...the clock starts.

There is no such thing as "addressing your lie" in disc golf.

802.03 Excessive Time
A. A player has taken excessive time if they are present and have not thrown within 30 seconds after:
1. The previous player has thrown; and,
2. They have had a reasonable amount of time to arrive at and determine the lie; and,
3. They are next in the throwing order; and,
4. The playing area is clear and free of distractions.
B. A player who takes excessive time receives a warning for the first violation. A player who takes excessive time after having been warned for it during the round receives one penalty throw. See 811.F.5 for a player who is absent when it is their turn to throw.

Latest posts