• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 WACO Charity Open Mar 11-13

Having worked in media sales, it's interesting that people talk just about her followers and not how many of those are actually actively engaged with her media or actually affected by it.

Hard to quantify obviously, but just because you have 50k followers, doesn't mean they are seeing your posts on a regular basis or taking any action (buying product) based on those posts.

You see this with Brodie.

Sure he has millions of subs, but why do his disc golf videos only get 60,000 views then?

Active engagement is more important than raw numbers.

Your point is right in terms of passive vs. active engagement though I don't know if Brodie is a good example. He gets slightly more engagement on his videos than Eagle McMahon and pretty much the same amount as Simon Lizotte. AKA better social media engagement than anyone other than Paul McBeth.

Your point is right in terms of passive vs. active engagement though I don't know if Brodie is a good example. He gets slightly more engagement on his videos than Eagle McMahon and pretty much the same amount as Simon Lizotte. AKA better social media engagement than anyone other than Paul McBeth.
FYI, I think Stokely is second to McBeth.

FYI, I think Stokely is second to McBeth.

Lest we forget all his Gatorade followers.

A show of hands if you're an old fart old enough to remember Stokley on the label:
attachment.php

Let's face it: we stopped talking about the tournament quite a while ago.

Attachments

• 9e1f36739213cc81bf4f5144ed817b00--vintage-food-soda.jpg
    9e1f36739213cc81bf4f5144ed817b00--vintage-food-soda.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Much respect to Stokely at 52 attempting to hang on the tour.

However, dude needs a couple of solid rounds strung together desperately. No doubt people respect what he's doing, but if he's putting out 2-3 videos a week explaining why he biffed his rounds people will stop paying attention. I know I've already turned a couple off after a few minutes.

He's getting by with his clinics, it'd be terrible if him trying to stay alive on tour started impacting his ability to actually make some cash and stay afloat.

Having worked in media sales, it's interesting that people talk just about her followers and not how many of those are actually actively engaged with her media or actually affected by it.

Hard to quantify obviously, but just because you have 50k followers, doesn't mean they are seeing your posts on a regular basis or taking any action (buying product) based on those posts.

You see this with Brodie.

Sure he has millions of subs, but why do his disc golf videos only get 60,000 views then?

Active engagement is more important than raw numbers.

Good, thanks! I guess I just took it as gospel (from the Switching Sponsors 2022 thread) that it was her social media figures (and one win + some other good finishes in 2021) that got her the deal.

This. I'm not a Kona fan but...

How many of you would jump ship to another employer given a massive pay increase? Damned near all of you. You'd take the deal when the offer was made, and trust that you'd figure it and find a way to make it work.

Is she off to a disappointing start? Certainly.
But she'll figure out her bag and find a way to compete. I guess some people just don't wanna cut her any slack.

Spot on. The talent is there, she can absolutely bomb and has top 5 (maybe number 1?!) combined forehand/backhand distance in FPO. But strokes, especially in FPO on those shorter holes, are won and lost primarily on shots inside 300 feet. Think about that next time you watch an FPO round and you'll see it all over the place. Her approaches have been loose and her putting has always been a struggle.

She's figured out the form to generate power off the tee, hats off to her not many people ever do that it's not easy. But that putt, not so much. It's just not coming out clean with pop and speed. Look at Waco's winner Valerie as a good example, that disc flies out of her hand because her form is on point.

People think putting is all about confidence but I'm in the camp that competence precedes confidence and that if your form isn't on point all the confidence in the world won't help.

its to bad that there is no footage of him playing - not even a practice round.

Was he ever on the lead/chase card? If not, there wouldn't be any coverage of his rounds. Practice rounds is different, he could have done that himself, but you really don't see much of that from anyone.

As for recordings during actual play, I don't think that is allowed. Simon referenced it during his recent VLOG. He said he would like to have shots of him throwing, but it wasn't allowed; so he did recordings while he was waiting.

I think the rule might be you can record yourself, but it can't be posted, etc., since DGN, Jomez, and others are paying for that right.

its to bad that there is no footage of him playing - not even a practice round.

Was he ever on the lead/chase card? If not, there wouldn't be any coverage of his rounds. Practice rounds is different, he could have done that himself, but you really don't see much of that from anyone.

As for recordings during actual play, I don't think that is allowed. Simon referenced it during his recent VLOG. He said he would like to have shots of him throwing, but it wasn't allowed; so he did recordings while he was waiting.

I think the rule might be you can record yourself, but it can't be posted, etc., since DGN, Jomez, and others are paying for that right.

There is full round coverage of a challenge he had against MP50 World Champion Ron Conversa a couple years ago. Google: Stokely vs Convers Grudge Match

He had a nice forehand on hole 15 that was never in danger of going OB and made it very close to the first of the two metal rails--with the big metal box in the middle. That was in lower wind however. But still...nice shot.

They should bring that basket and tee 30'-40' closer together to get more people to run it for a 2. I think it could be more of a separator hole in that configuration. I see more and more players just playing it for a safe 3. It was a par 4, until they McBeth-proofed the course (like making hole 18 a par 3 as well).

Seems like more players go for the big shot when an eagle is in play vs when it would 'just' be a birdie. May just be my imagination too...

He had a nice forehand on hole 15 that was never in danger of going OB and made it very close to the first of the two metal rails--with the big metal box in the middle. That was in lower wind however. But still...nice shot.

They should bring that basket and tee 30'-40' closer together to get more people to run it for a 2. I think it could be more of a separator hole in that configuration. I see more and more players just playing it for a safe 3. It was a par 4, until they McBeth-proofed the course (like making hole 18 a par 3 as well).

Seems like more players go for the big shot when an eagle is in play vs when it would 'just' be a birdie. May just be my imagination too...

I think it was Nate Sexton who mentioned moving the tee closer vs changing the par on that hole during the coverage. :hfive:

I think it was Nate Sexton who mentioned moving the tee closer vs changing the par on that hole during the coverage. :hfive:

Jerm was saying there is all sorts of room to have a men's long tee up to 100 feet back and make it a pro par 4. I like that idea, that would make those 2nd fairway shots really challenging, and make it more fair really because the big arms can't go for the eagle.

Joel Freeman's wife videos every one of his shots, so I'd guess your guess that "you can record yourself but can't post" is accurate.

Jerm was saying there is all sorts of room to have a men's long tee up to 100 feet back and make it a pro par 4. I like that idea, that would make those 2nd fairway shots really challenging, and make it more fair really because the big arms can't go for the eagle.

You can see the course map here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JkZcweMiCLOvE1sW2iOTI1RgXhceCmmq/view

15 does have a ways back that you can move the tee, but i don't think that makes the hole significantly better. It does make the hole better, but the landing zone is incredibly thin for even safe shots.

I wonder if they could shorten/lengthen 15's basket and 16's tee to make one more of a par 4 and one a par 3 (whereas both of them right now are tweener holes for pros, averaging around 3.5 for the top 100 guys). I don't care which is which, but it'd need to be a significant move for each of them.

I don't think it happens though. The TD said last week on a podcast (Ultiworld?) that he liked how the course has a huge variety of how holes play according to par. I'm unsure if that's actually a good feature, but he likes that.

Also, interesting point of note: hole 15 is a par 3, but averaged more strokes than 16, a par 4. See https://www.udisclive.com/live/waco2022/3?t=courseStats&d=MPO

Have to imagine Jomez or DGN will ensure he gets on an R1 Feature card at some point this season.

Also, interesting point of note: hole 15 is a par 3, but averaged more strokes than 16, a par 4. See https://www.udisclive.com/live/waco2022/3?t=courseStats&d=MPO

That's a good example of why par is not average. The real question is: What is the score that an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions?

For both these holes, it's maybe 3, or if not 3, then 4. Looking at average - which depends on which hole gave out more 5s and 6s - doesn't tell us what score would be expected with errorless play.

Hole 18 wasn't "just" changed to a par 3. It was also shortened when they moved it to a par 3 from par 4 (from 492' to 468'). Now the basket is just at the edge of the upslope across the water, whereas before it was in the middle of the peninsula.

Latest posts