• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2022 WACO Charity Open Mar 11-13

Performance tracks.

FPO
attachment.php

MPO
attachment.php

Very cool graphics. Valerie and Joel were scorching after the windy day. Also, if Evelina ever gets putting down, whoa.

Quick check. PP has 79k on IG, Kona has 58k. Kristin Tattar has 50k. Paige Shue has 38k.
Madison Walker has 18k. Top men "without a social media presence" such as Chris Dickerson and Adam Hammes have 42k and 32k followers.

Still doesn't seem that crazy to me.

Is 58k followers really worth as much as 50k followers and making an argument for being the best in the world? Is 58k followers really worth several times 40k or 20k followers? I can't really see people following Kona on IG, then discovering disc golf or Dynamic Discs.

Disc golf isn't mainstream like fitness where I search Youtube for a 10 minute dumbbell workout, click on Chris Heria because he is shredded , really like the work out, and become one of his 1.4 million followers.

To help you understand, click on the search bar on Instagram and tell me what autogenerates below.

About 90% of the suggestions are bouncing jugs and booties regardless of if you follow ANY accounts like that or not.

To help you understand, click on the search bar on Instagram and tell me what autogenerates below.

About 90% of the suggestions are bouncing jugs and booties regardless of if you follow ANY accounts like that or not.

...but that doesn't help me understand.

Bert Kreischer has 1.9m followers on IG and he's posting disc golf stuff.

The young lady in my neighborhood that put wheels and coilovers on a 240sx and goes to the gym 5 times a week has more followers than Kona.

I have a pretty sound understanding of social media. I don't have a sound understanding of the value of Kona's social media.

The young lady in my neighborhood that put wheels and coilovers on a 240sx and goes to the gym 5 times a week has more followers than Kona.

I have a pretty sound understanding of social media. I don't have a sound understanding of the value of Kona's social media.

I don't think DD cares really who they spent money on, just that the word was out that they were spending money, that they were offering contracts at the top of the sport comparable to the other big dogs. Beyond that, Kona's performance is just gravy. I mean we're still talking about them!

Are insinuating those 2 haven't generated income as a result of their followers? Because I'm fairly certain that they probably have.

My point was more that the algorithm of IG seems to push people toward profiles of pretty women doing ordinary things and DD knows this.

I personally don't think its smart $ for DD but like Shallows pointed out, it gets us talking about them. My understanding is that when Kona heard about Tattar's deal, she approached McCabe wondering if they could offer something in the same "ballpark". I don't think she even expected to ink that kind of deal.

I don't think DD cares really who they spent money on, just that the word was out that they were spending money, that they were offering contracts at the top of the sport comparable to the other big dogs. Beyond that, Kona's performance is just gravy. I mean we're still talking about them!

If we're talking recent Big Money contracts for DD, they're probably more concerned that they signed Ricky right after he peaked.

If we're talking recent Big Money contracts for DD, they're probably more concerned that they signed Ricky right after he peaked.

Rick sells discs by the truckload. Kona not so much.

They clearly were betting on her being the next breakout FPO star and she has sucked to start the 2022 season. It's been all of a month since she switched. We'll know by the end of this year whether or not it was a losing deal for DD.

I don't think they regret Rick for one second, even if he is not winning, he is touring and selling all those signature discs while promoting his brand.

Quick little thought: I bet Kona wishes she still had the Emperor in her bag now. I actually threw one today, I blend, 163g. Nice disc. Reminds me of a Ricky Raptor Destroyer. Big dome, nice bit of high speed turn without being super flippy.

Closest thing DD has is probably a Sheriff.

The Emperor is underrated, IMO.

Kona has played in 2 events and has played poorly in both and some people are writing her off as complete bust for Dynamic Discs?

Regarding Kona getting paid by DD....really, who cares, what does it matter? It's DD's money they can do whatever they want with it. Maybe they feel she's an up-and-coming star and wanted to get in on the ground floor with her? Or maybe they see something we don't.

I think its more about the number of followers she has, not what type content she has.

Having worked in media sales, it's interesting that people talk just about her followers and not how many of those are actually actively engaged with her media or actually affected by it.

Hard to quantify obviously, but just because you have 50k followers, doesn't mean they are seeing your posts on a regular basis or taking any action (buying product) based on those posts.

You see this with Brodie.

Sure he has millions of subs, but why do his disc golf videos only get 60,000 views then?

Active engagement is more important than raw numbers.

Rick sells discs by the truckload. Kona not so much.

They clearly were betting on her being the next breakout FPO star and she has sucked to start the 2022 season. It's been all of a month since she switched. We'll know by the end of this year whether or not it was a losing deal for DD.

I don't think they regret Rick for one second, even if he is not winning, he is touring and selling all those signature discs while promoting his brand.

Based on a comment by McCabe on FB, she was signed around the same time as Ricky, so it's been many months with her new discs.

Sure he has millions of subs, but why do his disc golf videos only get 60,000 views then?

Because that's the maximum number of people on the planet that can tolerate his personality for more than a few minutes?

(Not really meaning to bash the guy but he does like to hear himself talk.)

Based on a comment by McCabe on FB, she was signed around the same time as Ricky, so it's been many months with her new discs.

Apparently their company need many months to update their website as well. McCabe stated it was "no oversight" in not having Valerie on the page yet and that it was "going to happen this week". :\

Because that's the maximum number of people on the planet that can tolerate his personality for more than a few minutes?

(Not really meaning to bash the guy but he does like to hear himself talk.)

Yes he does. And liked for everyone else to hear him talk as well (loud). Watching foundation videos with him and McBeth and he's talking over Paul was too much to bear.

"Thanks for your opine there Bro, how about we hear what 5x has to say?"

Regarding Kona getting paid by DD....really, who cares, what does it matter? It's DD's money they can do whatever they want with it. Maybe they feel she's an up-and-coming star and wanted to get in on the ground floor with her? Or maybe they see something we don't.

Maybe she's got incriminating pix of the right peeplz. :rolleyes:

:p

Total guess, but...
I bet a bunch of his subscribers did so as ultimate fans, and DG may not necessarily be their bowl of rice. Hence viewership far below subscriber volume.

Last edited:
Having worked in media sales, it's interesting that people talk just about her followers and not how many of those are actually actively engaged with her media or actually affected by it.

Hard to quantify obviously, but just because you have 50k followers, doesn't mean they are seeing your posts on a regular basis or taking any action (buying product) based on those posts.

And Brodie was most likely paid based on his existing Ultimate subs, which didn't "follow" him to disc golf.

Kona probably got a huge $$ offer from DD, which caused her to jump ship from Innova. It was never about the discs, it was about the money.

Innova makes better discs, plain and simple. They have more options of any sort of mold anyone could ever want. DD simply doesn't, and their plastic blends aren't as good.

Kona had MONTHS to nail down a DD setup. Apparently she hasn't yet.

Strictly speaking for the discs (not the disc contracts), if I were a tour player I'd choose Innova all day over DD/Trilogy.

Horribly disconcerting finish for someone who's supposed to be DD's premier female marketing star/player.

All that said, it probably isn't really up to any of us to be armchair QBs when it comes to what other people do with their lives.

Your opinion on loving Innova is clear.

However, if there is anything disc golf and sponsorships have shown over the last few years it is that it is much more the archer than the arrow. Nearly every sponsorship group has discs that are more than capable of doing everything a top pro player (and everyone else of us) would want them to do.

Another struggle for Kona with DD. IMO, she's the most overrated FPO player out there right now given her new contract. To me, she's never consistently in the top 10 of best FPO players. Sure, she's had a couple of really good wins throughout her career, but she's outside the top 10 more than in it. DD no doubt paid her for her social media, but at what point does winning matter to them? She'll probably post something about how practice went great but couldn't put it together in the rounds. She'll probably change her putting stance or putters again.

How is she "overrated"? That doesn't make any sense to me. Valerie Mandujano actually had a higher rating than Kona BEFORE this event.

Quick little thought: I bet Kona wishes she still had the Emperor in her bag now. I actually threw one today, I blend, 163g. Nice disc. Reminds me of a Ricky Raptor Destroyer. Big dome, nice bit of high speed turn without being super flippy.

Closest thing DD has is probably a Sheriff.

The Emperor is underrated, IMO.

I don't.

Given the choice between her former favorite disc and what Kona actually got this off-season, which would most everyone choose? (No need to answer, that question is rhetorical.)

Latest posts