• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

Jussi is turning into his an worst enemy. He's clearly a smart guy, but he's blowing this. Yes, he gets more hits over time. Right now his events, all top level events, are carrying his WT. Compare that to Steve Dodges PT. He's carrying B tiers and getting at least as much or more attention.

Part of that is that Steve understands marketing better. That includes understanding that the live broadcasts drive a whole world of conversation that isn't one hit. It builds a dynamic environment during the event that spreads out after the event.

One benefit for Steve is that it keeps his audience engaged through his ads. I know everyone of Steve's advertisers. Beyond knowing that Jussi has a link to Innova and Discmania, meh. Yeah, hes getting his million hits and thats good for the sport, it isnt doing chit for DGWT, innova or his other sponsors. At this point It isn't doing much for the events either.

This comment brought to you by a B their, the Jonesb. Open sponsored by Spartan, the riding mower of disc golf. (I'll never forgive you Steve...)

Is he really that arrogant or are you just mad at him? Serious question. I don't know much about him. The USDGC non live is a comment.

At Last year's USDGC, the DGWT (i.e. Jussi) said that there was not enough money to have live video. Money was offered by the PDGA for live broadcasts, but the DGWT refused to allow it. So their excuse was blown up, but they later tried the "not enough money" excuse again. Ergo, there was and is a serious credibility issue with Jussi, i.e. he has none. Combined with his attitude towards the women DGers, controversy follows him...

At Last year's USDGC, the DGWT (i.e. Jussi) said that there was not enough money to have live video. Money was offered by the PDGA for live broadcasts, but the DGWT refused to allow it. So their excuse was blown up, but they later tried the "not enough money" excuse again. Ergo, there was and is a serious credibility issue with Jussi, i.e. he has none. Combined with his attitude towards the women DGers, controversy follows him...

#OneDivisionOneChampion

Yeah, I know this, but unfortunately, I haven't gotten to hear him talk about women directly. I admit, it ain't great though. The lie about the media coverage struck me as a bad decision followed by donkey covering. Again, not great, but not condemnable.

I was wondering if he'd made one of those, "I get this and you don't," kind of statements. His actions are lamentable, but he's not stuck his foot in his mouth bigly that I've seen.

Regardless, his DGWT lacks the gravitas of the DGPT, and that comments on his skills as a manager one way or ta other.

Yeah, I know this, but unfortunately, I haven't gotten to hear him talk about women directly. I admit, it ain't great though. The lie about the media coverage struck me as a bad decision followed by donkey covering. Again, not great, but not condemnable.

I was wondering if he'd made one of those, "I get this and you don't," kind of statements. His actions are lamentable, but he's not stuck his foot in his mouth bigly that I've seen.

Regardless, his DGWT lacks the gravitas of the DGPT, and that comments on his skills as a manager one way or ta other.

I think it was the "repeating the lie" after it had been debunked (that there was no money for live coverage AFTER the PDGA had offered the money) that started the integrity questioning. Saying nothing would've been better. When in a hole, the first thing to do is stop digging.

Apparently it's not going to get better.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was stated that once the pdga funds were offered up it didn't leave enough turn around time to make a live broadcast happen.

Aka we'd rather stick to the original plan instead of trying to make too much happen at the last minute.

I understand the argument that the largest events should have live coverage, but I can't say that in the last 3+ years I've watched a single live dg broadcast. That was different when I had a job where I could post up and watch, but for now I'm ok waiting a day or two for edited coverage.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought it was stated that once the pdga funds were offered up it didn't leave enough turn around time to make a live broadcast happen.

Aka we'd rather stick to the original plan instead of trying to make too much happen at the last minute.

I understand the argument that the largest events should have live coverage, but I can't say that in the last 3+ years I've watched a single live dg broadcast. That was different when I had a job where I could post up and watch, but for now I'm ok waiting a day or two for edited coverage.

But that would be far too logical, and give the internet nothing to gripe about, so it can't possibly be true...

That's only relevant if your assumption is that the videographer doesn't work independently. That is, it can't happen cause Jussi doesn't have time, not that a company doesn't have time. That may still have been an issue for the companies. It also raises as many questions as it answers.

1) as a promotor of an event series, what's your job? Shouldn't the question of coverage have high priority? Should you have possibly explored videography with the PDGA since it had been done before?

2) good enough, there wasn't time. Now it's gone South and it's over. What happened this year? You got blow back, you think yubtube cuts are fine, but the PDGA offered last year, did you follow up or just decide it wasn't necessary? "Those online guys will have forgotten what happened last year, and by this year they'll be thinking... That I blew it again?"

3) so, what is your competition doing and how's that going?

4) lets assume that Jussi is where he wants to be, but as i wrote earlier, by any measure I can think of, DGPT is getting the meat of the attention. I'd think at the very least he'd be looking at what Steve's doing.

5) given that Jussi has the backing and power of In nova behind him, I'd think he'd be making a bigger splash. Especially given the gift of the majors. If he were my marketing guy we'd be discussing his fit for the job.

Is anyone doing live scoring for Monday qualifying?

I see zero current info about Monday Qualifying on DGWT website, nothing on Disc Golf Metrix website, and nothing new from DGWT social media about it atm. Only regular updates coming from Tina Stanaitis' instagram, looks like Eric Oakley is -7 through the front 9, and should be well into the back 9 by now but no updates on that in a bit.

Oh... it is my favorite subject (sarcasm)... why doesn't USDGC have live coverage.
Answer: They don't want it, it isn't in their plan. If you don't like it reach out to Jussi & the PDGA.

Now my personal opinions...
DGWT should have no say in whether there is live coverage or not. It should be a PDGA issue if they are willing to pay for it, it is a PDGA major. (Not relevant this year, we had no serious talks with the PDGA or DGWT on covering USDGC) If anyone has issues with that, then the PDGA should just pull the M status away from them. I don't think it would hurt the event if they were not a major.

Understandably the DGWT doesn't want any media they are not in complete control of. Live is an unpredictable beast at times. It is getting better, but nowhere near perfect.

And please stop with the DGWT/DGPT competition. It isn't a competition when they are attempting different things. The DGPT is running a cohesive US tour to help support a group of pros and provide regular entertainment for the casual fan. That isn't what DGWT is doing. TBH I am not sure of Jussi's large scale goal, but it isn't what DGPT is doing.

And to head off the normal questions we get...
1. No we won't charge for it. Not enough people are going to pay for something half the quality they can get the next day.
2. No we won't GoFundMe it. We are not going to ask for handouts like some mid-level broke disc golfer asking for money to go to Worlds.

Of course we would love to cover it and be there. But I am sure there will be a few FB Live streams throughout the week. And if I get the chance, look for a possible "talking head" style show from SmashBoxx on the final day of competition. A place where we can get together and talk about the event while it unfolds. We will probably have the instagram clips and maybe the live feeds that people provide. Possible call-ins. Whatever we can think of on the fly.

Oh... it is my favorite subject (sarcasm)... why doesn't USDGC have live coverage.
Answer: They don't want it, it isn't in their plan. If you don't like it reach out to Jussi & the PDGA.

Now my personal opinions...
DGWT should have no say in whether there is live coverage or not. It should be a PDGA issue if they are willing to pay for it, it is a PDGA major. (Not relevant this year, we had no serious talks with the PDGA or DGWT on covering USDGC) If anyone has issues with that, then the PDGA should just pull the M status away from them. I don't think it would hurt the event if they were not a major.

Understandably the DGWT doesn't want any media they are not in complete control of. Live is an unpredictable beast at times. It is getting better, but nowhere near perfect.

And please stop with the DGWT/DGPT competition. It isn't a competition when they are attempting different things. The DGPT is running a cohesive US tour to help support a group of pros and provide regular entertainment for the casual fan. That isn't what DGWT is doing. TBH I am not sure of Jussi's large scale goal, but it isn't what DGPT is doing.

And to head off the normal questions we get...
1. No we won't charge for it. Not enough people are going to pay for something half the quality they can get the next day.
2. No we won't GoFundMe it. We are not going to ask for handouts like some mid-level broke disc golfer asking for money to go to Worlds.

Of course we would love to cover it and be there. But I am sure there will be a few FB Live streams throughout the week. And if I get the chance, look for a possible "talking head" style show from SmashBoxx on the final day of competition. A place where we can get together and talk about the event while it unfolds. We will probably have the instagram clips and maybe the live feeds that people provide. Possible call-ins. Whatever we can think of on the fly.

In a few senses, ones that matter, they are doing the same thing. Both are a series, with recognition of the series winner. Both have a promotion element. My comments speak only to the promotion side. There, DGWT is losing imo. Heck they're losing out to some A tiers in terms of coverage and promotion in my view.

I agree with you that the PDGA should not allow "them" to determine live coverage. That's a tough sell. The gig is Innova's. The PDGA has nominal control, and I've argued they should have full say, but that's easily said.

I'm a 910-920 player and I seem to always score in the low to mid 80s (82-86). 5 is tough to par and then the stretch of 9-13 is really tough for me (lefty). And then the typical leak of strokes around the rest of the holes.

Another year, another 80s score. Shot a 83 Saturday morning is some pretty heavy (for Charlotte) winds. Wind died down in afternoon for our doubles round. It's always a tricky course as I start a little tight so I end up just wanting to get pars early on but 1-4 is a good chunk of the birdie opportunities for me (as a INT player). And then you find yourself +1/+2 staring down the barrel of #5. I'm glad to see going back to prior versions of 9, it's a neat hole. Now that drop zone, it's brutal. The new verison of 13 is interesting, you either have to nut a 375' shot across parking lot or play around those final trees instead of infront of them (but still not easy of a "safe shot"). I was dissapointed that they didn't have a basket in long 18 (probably my favorite hole on course) to play.

Another year, another 80s score. Shot a 83 Saturday morning is some pretty heavy (for Charlotte) winds. Wind died down in afternoon for our doubles round. It's always a tricky course as I start a little tight so I end up just wanting to get pars early on but 1-4 is a good chunk of the birdie opportunities for me (as a INT player). And then you find yourself +1/+2 staring down the barrel of #5. I'm glad to see going back to prior versions of 9, it's a neat hole. Now that drop zone, it's brutal. The new verison of 13 is interesting, you either have to nut a 375' shot across parking lot or play around those final trees instead of infront of them (but still not easy of a "safe shot"). I was dissapointed that they didn't have a basket in long 18 (probably my favorite hole on course) to play.

There was a basket in long 18 on Sunday... in fact, all holes with multiples had 2 basked for practice I assume. And of course we played 18 long!