• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 USDGC

Designing several holes that strongly favor LHBH or RHFH spin has been one of Harold's ongoing challenges since the USDGC started. Not to overly bias the course in that direction but to balance the spin options for the course. Looks like it's working.

My boys had some internet trouble at their hotel. Here's the Front 9, thanks for patiently waiting.

Designing several holes that strongly favor LHBH or RHFH spin has been one of Harold's ongoing challenges since the USDGC started. Not to overly bias the course in that direction but to balance the spin options for the course. Looks like it's working.

You have to have both shots out there. Brinster did win it though and he throws almost no forehands.

You have to have both shots out there. Brinster did win it though and he throws almost no forehands.

Most of the winners have been heavily backhand dominant. Climo, Schultz, Climo, Schultz, Climo, Feldberg, Schultz, Climo, Doss, Locastro, Schusterick, Schusterick, Brinster, Schusterick, McBeth, Koling.

I was surprised to see him go forehand on hole 1 this year, but it's a different hole now. Btw, anyone remember when he spit out for ace final round lead card a few years back? That was awesome.

How much is it to volunteer for the weekend? I would plan a trip out there next year if I could be a part of it besides a spectator.
Volunteering costs $200--oops, that's what it cost the volunteers for this year's PGA (ball golf) Major this year at Quail Hollow; PDGA/USDGC volunteering is free, just get on the list and do it.

Performance tracks for Rounds 1 & 2.

The best single-hole boost among these players was Kevin Jones's 3 on hole 13 of round 1 which was 2.2 throws better than his expected.

The most damaging was Kevin Jones's 8 on hole 17 of the second round, which was 4.8 worse than his expected.
attachment.php

Attachments

• USDGC17Tracks12.png
    USDGC17Tracks12.png
    124.4 KB · Views: 281
Round 2 is complete and here are the top 5:

Nathan Sexton
Jeremy Koling
Gregg Barsby
Devan Owens
Richard Wysocki

4 of the best forehanders in the game and 1 lefty - should one assume this course favors the forehand/lefty ?
I would also say you have four of our smarter golfers on the list who think through placements and are not known for flashy shots. And then you have the best putter in the game currently who can save par from just about anywhere.

Round 2 is complete and here are the top 5:

Nathan Sexton
Jeremy Koling
Gregg Barsby
Devan Owens
Richard Wysocki

4 of the best forehanders in the game and 1 lefty - should one assume this course favors the forehand/lefty ?

It's absolutely that way - always has been.

1 - Seems to be that if you have the left to right shot, you are taking it
2 - Power L to R tee shot with a pin with OB left
3 - OB left the entire way
4 - Second shot is low ceiling L To R
5 - Water Left the entire hole and the mando makes you throw over it
6 - R to L hole for sure
7 - doesn't matter
8 - second shot is low ceiling L to R
9 - Short enough where the lay up is a simple midrange
10 - lay up is easy
11 - Second shot is L to R into a hillside
12 - doesn't matter
13 - hole used to be the great R to L equalizer, but the change makes it so it doesn't matter. Right to Left shot absolutely is easier, but it's not as big of an advantage as it used to
14 - L to R shot goes into the hill and away from OB
15 - Tee shot favors R to L, but throwing dead straight is the play
16 - L to R shot is wide open
17 - Massive green open right of the pin. Most players throw L to R here
18 - L to R off the tee

It's one of the most unbalanced courses out there.

With the exception of hole 6, going for the big drives on 9 and 10 and the approach to 18's long pin, it's 100% a lefty course.

But 6 is so tough anyway, it doesn't matter. 9 and 10 are pretty easy to birdie playing safe and 18 a player can easily get a putt throwing straight.

Volunteering costs $200--oops, that's what it cost the volunteers for this year's PGA (ball golf) Major this year at Quail Hollow; PDGA/USDGC volunteering is free, just get on the list and do it.

I hope it stays like that forever in disc golf. The senior PGA has their championship every other year in my home town at Harbor Shores and I've volunteered all three times it's been here and they charge $130 a pop. I will say though, based on my experience with the PGA that $200 for volunteering at a Major is going to net A LOT of goodies just we get here at the Senior PGA event.

I hope it stays like that forever in disc golf. The senior PGA has their championship every other year in my home town at Harbor Shores and I've volunteered all three times it's been here and they charge $130 a pop. I will say though, based on my experience with the PGA that $200 for volunteering at a Major is going to net A LOT of goodies just we get here at the Senior PGA event.

Paying to "volunteer"??? Don't see me ever doing that. Sounds like a scam.

Tom Schot used this approach at 2011 Worlds, cost was $60. Some people complained (surprise, surprise) but it was overall received very well.

All of the volunteers got some awesome and unique swag, including brand new (at the time) Keen DeLa's.

Sponsors of the event kick in a great package for the volunteers worth way more than the money paid in, and the volunteers will actually reliably show up and do their assigned tasks. For logistically complex events it's a great system.

Paying to "volunteer"??? Don't see me ever doing that. Sounds like a scam.

*sigh*

I hear that all the time buuuuuut...What you get in return is worth A LOT more than what you pay. I think the reason they make the volunteers pay is so there is some sort of commitment to show up and do the assigned duties.

For example at the Senior PGA event $130 gets you; Event shirt (collared dry-fit), wind breaker, 2 event tickets to be used any day of the tournament, free parking and $100 off a round at Harbor Shores which usually costs ~$150. So with the 16 hours of volunteer time and all the swag I'd say it's close to break even and the volunteer work they have you do is usually really easy and kind of fun plus it really helps the local economy. Then again I am on the fence about doing it again in 2018.

-Dave

It may also be to control the amount of people that do volunteer at big time PGA events. There probably isn't a lot of trouble coming up with volunteers at these. So they charge a fee to keep people, that may not be as serious about the job as others, from signing up...

It makes sense as the majority of Pros playing that tournament are RHBH. Many majors favor the RHBH player which does not make for a challenge

It makes sense as the majority of Pros playing that tournament are RHBH. Many majors favor the RHBH player which does not make for a challenge

agreed with both of these - but you are creating the opposite effect with this course.

Latest posts