• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 DGPT Jonesboro Open

BTW, Chris needs a big win, period. Nate is my favorite player, but until he won USDGC, he still hadn't delivered. Dominating small events is easy compared to pulling a big win against the big boys. It takes a huge mental focus to do it. That's the reason I laugh at the Paul vs Ricky guys. When you can do what they've done no one should question your brilliance.

Based on ratings, here are the chances of winning. Paul vs. Rick vs. The Field are just about evenly matched. Among The Field, it's a tossup between the evenly matched Chris or Eagle or Nate vs. The Rest of The Field.

attachment.php

So you're telling me there's a 14% chance I can win jonesboro!?

So you're telling me there's a 14% chance I can win jonesboro!?

Sounds like a marketing campaign, "I'm other!" "I'm other!" "We're all other!"

In a world full of others, be you. Now buy this thing that nine million other people own.

Whats considered a big win? Apparently his 10 1st place finishes this year in the lowly b/c tiered events don't count for much.

Correct, they don't when you're talking about the Tour.

Dickerson won PDGA rookie of the year and since then hasn't produced on the (Inter)national stage.

Having the new tours emerge alongside the PDGA Tour gives us the proper sample size to make these distinctions. He needs to at minimum win a well-attended DGPT event. Until then he's a promising regional pro.

What more do you want from the guy? He's beaten 10 different 1000-rated players, including Barry, MJ, Zach Melton, Dollar, Childs, Joey Lutz, Devin Frederick, Charles Behrhorst, Cody Bradshaw, and Dan Hastings. He's won ten straight tournaments.

His margins of victory have been 5, 8, 2, 14, 1, 9, 3, 5, 3, and 5. He went undefeated at VTI in match play. Y'all. He's beating Barry and MJ regularly in North Carolina. It's bonkers that Dickerson is underrated nationally, despite a track record of shredding everywhere he plays.

How many NT and PT victories combined do those names have in the last 5 years? 1 (Johansen, HoF Classic '15)

He's not underrated at all. He gets a ton of spotlight considering not having won on the national stage. How many other regional pros get the attention he gets?

I'd put Dickerson in the category of "elite regional pro" and tack "contender" onto his status as a touring pro. When he's come out, he's showed well. In 2017 alone at events most would consider to be "tour" level:

Jonesboro: 5th
Worlds: 5th
Hambrick: 2nd
Ledgestone: 11th
Idlewild: 3rd
Pittsburgh: 5th
USDGC: 10th
Hall of Fame: 7th

Is he on lead cards all the time? No. He's not big on social media, either, so he doesn't quite have the high profile some other dudes have. But those finishes, plus his rating and local domination, put him in the upper echelon.

Dickerson has won 13 events in a row. Source-He beat me last weekend. Bear in mind that just because you are insanely talented at something like Chris, it may not be realistic for it to be your entire life. If anything, I may have more respect for someone who excels WHEN they have the chance to compete, rather than being a perennial also-ran on a larger stage.
signed,
950 rated jimmy joe

Dickerson has won 13 events in a row. Source-He beat me last weekend. Bear in mind that just because you are insanely talented at something like Chris, it may not be realistic for it to be your entire life. If anything, I may have more respect for someone who excels WHEN they have the chance to compete, rather than being a perennial also-ran on a larger stage.
signed,
950 rated jimmy joe

Please let me apologize for your taking my comments personally. The fact that Chris can beat you doesn't mean anything. The fact that you've made a wise life choice that's good for you and your family means you're an intelligent, careful human being. That's something I personally admire.

An assessment of.a player's skill should include their ability to perform under the pressure of playing against similarly skilled players and win. I can kick my son's butts playing soccer, any day. That doesn't make me comparable with the top players in my age group in any way. Chris is good, even great as a player. But for me to consider him top level he needs to win a top event against top players. That's what sets Koling, Sexton and others apart, they've done that.

One can make the argument that Chris doesn't travel like those guys do and so doesn't have the opportunity to get that big win. I agree, but that's a life choice Chris is making. I don't know why he's made that life choice, but I assume it's so he can be close to home. Um, I think that's a wise life choice. But it doesn't mean that I should set aside my criteria in what I think makes an elite player.

As an aside, based on Chris's skills, I suspect this discussion will be moot before the end of this season.

FWIW, James Conrad thinks very highly of Chris Dickerson. I'm not sure when they had the chance to play together, or how often, but my buddy was caddying for James earlier this year and said that he considers Dickerson in the top 5 skilled players on tour currently.

FWIW, James Conrad thinks very highly of Chris Dickerson. I'm not sure when they had the chance to play together, or how often, but my buddy was caddying for James earlier this year and said that he considers Dickerson in the top 5 skilled players on tour currently.

In some ways I find Chris more along than Conrad. He is very mechanical in his approach, one of the reasons I like Nate Sexton.

Sry,thought it started today ,should be a great tournament with so many top names in attendance ,and on a course where luck doesnt play much of a factor besides amount of wind each player has

Here's this week's episode of The Upshot. We're talking Jonesboro, making picks, and chatting with Steve Dodge both about this event and about the DGPT in general.

Spoiler alert on my picks - I REFUSE to make it easy on myself :p

Please let me apologize for your taking my comments personally. The fact that Chris can beat you doesn't mean anything. The fact that you've made a wise life choice that's good for you and your family means you're an intelligent, careful human being. That's something I personally admire.

An assessment of.a player's skill should include their ability to perform under the pressure of playing against similarly skilled players and win. I can kick my son's butts playing soccer, any day. That doesn't make me comparable with the top players in my age group in any way. Chris is good, even great as a player. But for me to consider him top level he needs to win a top event against top players. That's what sets Koling, Sexton and others apart, they've done that.

One can make the argument that Chris doesn't travel like those guys do and so doesn't have the opportunity to get that big win. I agree, but that's a life choice Chris is making. I don't know why he's made that life choice, but I assume it's so he can be close to home. Um, I think that's a wise life choice. But it doesn't mean that I should set aside my criteria in what I think makes an elite player.

As an aside, based on Chris's skills, I suspect this discussion will be moot before the end of this season.

Lyle,
You'd better pack your lunch if you are trying to offend me. My quote was a statement of opinion (aside from the correction about his consecutive win streak) and little more. I provided some first hand insight into his abilities, as I feel like few here have actually played with Chris. He exhibits the same traits (read: few to zero mistakes) as other top players. I grew up playing with James Conrad, Zach Melton, and lately have a few rounds with Paul McBeth (whom Chris defeated in a tournament I attended within the last few months). I appreciate your kind words and trust you will take no offense in my saying that we have a different perspective on this situation. You are waiting for Chris to prove himself against players I have already seen him beat, in several cases. He is an amazing talent, and one helluva nice human being. Looking forward to watching them all play this year.

Lyle,
You'd better pack your lunch if you are trying to offend me. My quote was a statement of opinion (aside from the correction about his consecutive win streak) and little more. I provided some first hand insight into his abilities, as I feel like few here have actually played with Chris. He exhibits the same traits (read: few to zero mistakes) as other top players. I grew up playing with James Conrad, Zach Melton, and lately have a few rounds with Paul McBeth (whom Chris defeated in a tournament I attended within the last few months). I appreciate your kind words and trust you will take no offense in my saying that we have a different perspective on this situation. You are waiting for Chris to prove himself against players I have already seen him beat, in several cases. He is an amazing talent, and one helluva nice human being. Looking forward to watching them all play this year.

Are you sure there isn't any other name-drops you wanna add while you're at it? :clap:

Latest posts