• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA Am Worlds--CHARLOTTE

Registration week is here!

A reminder to those intending to register:

- You MUST be a current PDGA Member.
- You MUST be a certified official through the end of the event (7/28/2018)
- You MUST be qualified and can only register for the division(s) you qualified.

And most importantly...

- Sign up is first come first serve amongst qualified players. We have way more qualified players than spots. Qualification does NOT guarantee your spot in the event.

Registration opens Friday at 12:01AM Est (basically Thursday night).

Any questions? Please note the event does NOT handle this aspect and you should contact the PDGA directly. If you ask us, we will simply direct you to the PDGA.

Post registration and no long threads on how bad it went. Seems like an improvement over previous years.

Post registration and no long threads on how bad it went. Seems like an improvement over previous years.

It sounds like less people are signing up this year, taking it longer to fill up the divisions. I could be wrong, but it sounds like less people are interested in playing this year because of location.

I have been blessed that the last four were within 9 hours of me, and I was able to play in 3 of those 4. This year I did not even consider it because that is way outside of what I could travel.

12:03 there was 300+ people signed up. At 12:10 there was 500+ people sign up. Mostly full by 1 am.

It sounds like less people are signing up this year, taking it longer to fill up the divisions. I could be wrong, but it sounds like less people are interested in playing this year because of location.

I have been blessed that the last four were within 9 hours of me, and I was able to play in 3 of those 4. This year I did not even consider it because that is way outside of what I could travel.

I would guess that there are actually more people interested in playing since it is on the East Coast where more people dwell. Was registration in the middle of the night for locals the last few years?

I would guess that there are actually more people interested in playing since it is on the East Coast where more people dwell. Was registration in the middle of the night for locals the last few years?

The overall field sizes for this year are larger than the last two (567 in 2016, 618 in 2017, already at 673 in 2018) and the lack of Juniors only divisions are allowing divisions to be significantly larger than before making availability a bit easier.

We have a major airport, many above average courses, and major roads, plus easy access to a huge chunk of East Coast population... Also we filled relatively quick and within minutes were well over the maxes of previous events...with only room in some of the obscure divisions. Im not sure your comment is valid.

We have a major airport, many above average courses, and major roads, plus easy access to a huge chunk of East Coast population... Also we filled relatively quick and within minutes were well over the maxes of previous events...with only room in some of the obscure divisions. Im not sure your comment is valid.

It was a general observation based solely on geography and not meant to be a slight on any course or area. Of course actual data is going to prove me wrong. It is just that distance was the deal-breaker for me, which left me wondering how many others now that it is not a central location cannot afford to travel as well. In actuality, based upon videos I have seen, I think courses on the East Coast are superior than what I have in my neck of the woods.

So this is happening....

Attachments

• USDGC Experience flyer.jpg
    USDGC Experience flyer.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 87
Any PDGA member w/ official status may register Friday at 12PM EST.

2018 AM Worlds is up and running. Mixed doubles and field competition already complete. Players' meeting tonight and the real competition begins tomorrow morning. Good luck to everyone and enjoy the week.

Reports are that the mandatory players meeting went on for more than 3 hours last night.

The reporters weren't exactly thrilled about it, particularly from the 2 hour mark on, from the things I read.

But by now they ought to be out throwing discs, and it's not raining, so I expect their mood has improved.

.....other than that, here's hoping, for the TD and all of the staff, that the rains hold off. Or at least that there are no storms severe enough to curtail rounds, and incur rescheduling or course moves. I'm sure that's a nightmare the volunteers have already had countless times in recent months, and they don't want to encounter while awake.

Round 1 scores delayed

Tee times were delayed 30 minutes this morning due to a car accident and highway closure on I-77, round one scores will be delayed.

Anybody know if more course maintenance will be done at Renaissance before the finals on Sunday? We played the TPC on Saturday, and while the new teepads are very nice, some holes look worse than I've seen them in years.

Anybody know if more course maintenance will be done at Renaissance before the finals on Sunday? We played the TPC on Saturday, and while the new teepads are very nice, some holes look worse than I've seen them in years.

The Final 9 course that shall be used on Saturday afternoon at Renaissance Park uses four holes from the Renske layout and five temporary holes. The priority of the local club was to get the nine courses which are being used for the 2018 PDGA Amateur Disc Golf World Championships...not the TPC course and eight other courses which are NOT being used for competition. :rolleyes:

Reports are that the mandatory players meeting went on for more than 3 hours last night.

The reporters weren't exactly thrilled about it, particularly from the 2 hour mark on, from the things I read.

But by now they ought to be out throwing discs, and it's not raining, so I expect their mood has improved.

Maybe someone should get a stopwatch for the next year's worlds player's pack because that was NOT 3 hours and certainly not more than 3 hours.

It started at 745 and we were all gone, including breakdown, at 950.

Even factoring the optional film beforehand, we still were not over 3 hours.

Saw one guy was a DNF for Round 1. Would that be a no-show? Hate to think a guy shows up from half way across the country and quits or is DQ'ed immediately.

Also, excited to see Fast Eddie of Pendleton King Park fame playing. He's leading his division after Round 1.

Saw one guy was a DNF for Round 1. Would that be a no-show? Hate to think a guy shows up from half way across the country and quits or is DQ'ed immediately.

...or possibly got injured, which would also suck.

Being injury prone, I once got injured on hole 5 of a tournament, and once while warming up the morning before round 1, and had to withdraw. (Or, more accurately, was trying to play through injuries and re-injured them).

Latest posts