• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 Pdga Majors, NTs, and Tour events

The pros don't make it to the Eastern Time Zone until July 20 (Idlewild) and not for good until August 24 (Vibram). Lots of interesting venues. Intrigued by the San Francisco one.

With the weather here in the east being very unpredictable, it makes sense for them to stay out west early in the year.

I would be floored if the DGPT event was held on the Toboggan course. The park has been adamant in it's recent decision to restrict that courses use to one event per year. Great Lakes Open has been held in the Northern Detroit Metro suburbs for the last couple years. Interesting that Hudson Mills has recently decided to put in Innova baskets, in a park that Discraft has done a lot for over the years. Interesting for sure. I have no inside knowledge, but it would be surprising. They would have to completely pull the course and put it in a few weeks later. I will try to look into it.

Last edited:
https://www.pdga.com/2018-tour-schedule-released-2018-tier-request-form-now-available

A couple things pop out. Toboggan(DGPT), Golden Gate Park(DGPT) and Iron Hill(NT). All the DGPT events are A-tiers next year. I still think Bg Ams needs to be a major...

Venue for SF is to be determined.

I would be floored if the DGPT event was held on the Toboggan course. The park has been adamant in it's recent decision to restrict that courses use to one event per year. Great Lakes Open has been held in the Northern Detroit Metro suburbs for the last couple years. Interesting that Hudson Mills has recently decided to put in Innova baskets, in a park that Discraft has done a lot for over the years. Interesting for sure. I have no inside knowledge, but it would be surprising. They would have to completely pull the course and put it in a few weeks later. I will try to look into it.

According to Steve Dodge earlier today (and on the DGPT website) it's Toboggan.

Am I the only one who noticed that the European Masters will be replaced with the Konopiste Open next year, and that the DGWT is only three events, two of which are majors?

I also really like the DGPT schedule and the revamped timing of Idlewild and Ledgestone, should hopefully lead to more top tier pros playing there. Kinda surprising to see that the Nick Hyde Memorial dropped off the DGPT, but I'd imagine that'll still be a highly attended event.

Maybe a different Toboggan design is needed for DGPT? The Am Nats design is more blue level with an SSA in the 56-57 neighborhood.

Vibram Open drops from 4 days to 3. Booooooooooooooo!!!!!

According to Steve Dodge, the desire is to make all the DGPT tourneys 3 rounds. It's still up to the TDs, but apparently 3 rounds is what Steve is encouraging everyone to do. Something about it being better for broadcast (cost-wise) and less taxing on the players (enabling them to play more events without wearing down).

Vibram was originally a 3-round affair. It only went to four rounds five years ago.

Anyone know why the NHM was pulled from the DGPT? Or care to speculate?

I'd imagine the TDs looked at cost/benefit and/or work/benefit and decided it wasn't worth it/didn't want to do it.

Which, if your event was as big as it was before and as well attended as it was before, I don't see why you would need the DGPT to grow your event, and if it was more of a hassle than it was worth, why bother?

OR the DGPT could have not wanted the Nick Hyde Memorial back

OR OR the Nick Hyde guys could have just said nawh, we good homie

OR OR OR...ok I have no more conjecture to provide :(

Maybe a different Toboggan design is needed for DGPT? The Am Nats design is more blue level with an SSA in the 56-57 neighborhood.

Yep, looking back that par 62 rounds have been in the mid 950s since 2014. Was that the period where the rough became less punitive? I imagine a few of the holes are pretty soft when played by 1020 rated players (2, 5, 7, 13, 15).

Yep, looking back that par 62 rounds have been in the mid 950s since 2014. Was that the period where the rough became less punitive? I imagine a few of the holes are pretty soft when played by 1020 rated players (2, 5, 7, 13, 15).

Correct -- 2014 was the first year after the big Russian Olive clearing. I didn't have a chance to play this year, but it had grown back in a little bit in '15 & '16.

I really like to see the pdga getting on board with the dgpt in their early scheduling on these events. Making them all A tiers is great too as last year it was funny to see every pro at B tiered pro tour events while no big names were at A tiers the same weekend. It seems, whether they like it or not, the pdga has conceded that working with the pro tour to strengthen the "top tier" tour schedule, making it sensible and inclusive to all parties, is the best direction. Its a shame they couldn't have taken this stance from jump street without forcing two seasons of the pro tour without their full backing (make em prove themselves I guess), but better late than never.

I really like to see the pdga getting on board with the dgpt in their early scheduling on these events. Making them all A tiers is great too as last year it was funny to see every pro at B tiered pro tour events while no big names were at A tiers the same weekend. It seems, whether they like it or not, the pdga has conceded that working with the pro tour to strengthen the "top tier" tour schedule, making it sensible and inclusive to all parties, is the best direction. Its a shame they couldn't have taken this stance from jump street without forcing two seasons of the pro tour without their full backing (make em prove themselves I guess), but better late than never.

Steve Dodge being Steve Dodge aside (as in his track record with the Vibram/Maple Hill Open), I'm not surprised the PDGA waited a couple years before really getting behind the DGPT. This is a privately run tour set up alongside the PDGA's own tour, and with the multitude of voices the PDGA needs to cater to (and where their funding comes from), they can't just jump feet first behind anyone who wants to run a super organized tour and get priority over all of the other TDs who run events.

Latest posts