• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 DGPT Championship Charlotte, NC Oct 18- 20

Keller gets it :clap: of course I do question the caddie's decision making process. If your going to rock a jump suit with a name on it...he should have at least picked a better player to caddie for instead of the Choakley. What shop does he own? I've never heard of whoever that is down in here in SC.

The caddy owns Another Round in Charlotte

Don't know if it's the course or camera work, but kind of bad sight lines on Jomez. I was looking forward to Jones Gold.

If Nate keeps saying Chickenson in reference to Chris Dickerson, using terrible puns, and flirting with his wife, then I'm going to .... put him on mute.

If I'm being serious, I hope he stops.

I simply can't take Val and Nates commentary. Easily the worst I have ever heard in my 6 years of watching live disc golf. well..ok that scary whispery guy from a few years ago was the worst, but it just bewilders me why they feel the need to talk so often. Val's voice/timbre just isn't made for long talking sessions. It's not a smooth voice to listen to by any means. I mute it while the players are throwing, then unmute it for a bit, then repeat...

Match play would be more interesting. I liked last year's format better as well. The women may as well have not played today.

I agree about match play. I think a match play tournament is what the elite level game is still missing. Players Cup flirted with it for a couple years. I know DD has teased the idea of expanding their Amateur Match Play thing to the pros, but they haven't pulled the trigger yet. Maybe some day, someone will squeeze a match play event into the tour schedule.

There is one compelling argument I've heard over the years about not making a season culminating tournament like this one match play, and that is that match play is a different game than normal stroke play. These players played stroke play all year to get to the final, it's only fitting that they play that same format in the final. Imagine if MLB changed how the game was played once teams get to the World Series. Instead of the team with more total runs at the end of 9 innings being the winner, it's the team that won more innings. Fundamentally it's the same game, but the objective and the strategy involved would be distinctly different.

I think this year's format is probably the best possible blend of normal stroke play with the immediacy and urgency of match play. There's no longer luck of the draw that affects who advances, but at the same time, you can't really relax and coast at any point. Every round is a new round and you have to be sharp to advance.

Kind of like Nates commentary today on the FPO card. . he really calls out the mistakes they make. . .and i like that

And boy do they make mistakes today . . .Hokom can just play her "layup golf" and let PP throw far and never hit the fairway and let Cat miss all her short putts

Quite a turn of events late in the round. Cat seemed to check out mentally on hole 12 with that silly and rushed 3-putt, yet now she's on the 18th green with a putt to win it all. Imagine if she could maintain her cool and her focus for 18 straight holes. This wouldn't have been a contest.

Extra holes!

Eh she won MVP by 7 strokes.

And saying she "checked out" implies that she's so much better than everyone else that she can be unengaged (essentially not trying) and still finish top 2-3 at big events (2nd at Canadian Nationals, US Women's, HOFC). It also removes the agency from the very good players that have beaten her of late, like Tattar, Hokom, and Allen.

She's the best female player in the world, but she's not so head and shoulders above the rest that winning and losing is entirely a matter of whether she's trying or not.

But when you win 9 in a row. . . And then stops winning it feels like something is of

But when you win 9 in a row. . . And then stops winning it feels like something is of

Last year, not counting USDGC, she won 17 of 26 tournaments. That includes a few B and C-tier wins, and she hasn't played any events below A-tier this year. If we remove those B and C-tier wins, she was 11 for 20 (55%) last year. This year, she's 12 for 22 (54.5%). Seems pretty consistent to me.

Just because wins come in bunches doesn't mean they're going to keep coming forever.

What stats watchers sometimes miss is tracking the length, terrain and penalties on the courses being played. It's apparent that certain players are more likely to do slightly better or worse depending on the course. Note that Elaine King for example still does well on more wooded courses with shorter hole lengths despite her veteran status.

What stats watchers sometimes miss is tracking the length, terrain and penalties on the courses being played. It's apparent that certain players are more likely to do slightly better or worse depending on the course. Note that Elaine King for example still does well on more wooded courses with shorter hole lengths despite her veteran status.

Would you expect that the effect that those course factors have is inversely proportional to one's rating? If one is rated 1050, I wouldn't expect there to be much variance in that player's success rate based on course length or wooded-ness or availability of penalty opportunities (OBs, hazards, mandos, etc). But if the player is 950 or 970, I would think they'd be more impacted by a course's overall length or terrain. Which would indicate the FPO division being a bit more variable based on the course style...like Elaine being more competitive in a shorter, wooded environment versus a longer, more open course.

Would you expect that the effect that those course factors have is inversely proportional to one's rating? If one is rated 1050, I wouldn't expect there to be much variance in that player's success rate based on course length or wooded-ness or availability of penalty opportunities (OBs, hazards, mandos, etc). But if the player is 950 or 970, I would think they'd be more impacted by a course's overall length or terrain. Which would indicate the FPO division being a bit more variable based on the course style...like Elaine being more competitive in a shorter, wooded environment versus a longer, more open course.
Take a look and you'll see some differences in a player's round ratings based on terrain even at the highest levels. Certain players have not played certain courses for whatever reason or played elsewhere based on how course(s) set up for their game or their history on the course. It's perfectly reasonable for touring pros to do that as long as their sponsors are cool with it.