• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Disccraft Ace Race

Participated in my 1st ever Ace Race this past weekend. In fact, 1st DG event for me of any type. Maybe the discs weren't as great as they were in the past, but it was great fun for me to try out something new (old?) and to meet new folks.

My wife doesn't play DG except when I really make her go, so she wasn't looking forward to it. We ended up pairing up with another couple that took their toddler in a stroller and their 7 year old. That was exactly our speed! The husband had actually made the signs for several of the local courses, and offered us some tips on playing.

The weather was going to be bad after lunch, and Discraft didn't ship the player packs until the day before - so we had to wait for the TD to pick them up from the local UPS store. We wanted to beat the storms, so we threw both discs on all 18 holes instead of throwing one and keeping one. I thought people would be upset at this because they might want to keep them in good shape to sell/trade. But no one cared at all, seemingly because no one thought this was that great of a disc.

Still, it was a fun event, and I made some new friends. Wish we had one in AL for September, because I do actually like the Hawk...

My event was ran well, but ace running with a driver on super short holes was pretty stupid. I regret wasting my money on this fuggly mold

There have been a few drivers used for Ace Races, and it's almost never fun.

I do love the way Discraft is doing it this year...I don't love that I'm in Afghanistan for this Ace Race season :-(

I do love the way Discraft is doing it this year...I don't love that I'm in Afghanistan for this Ace Race season :-(

I am honored by your presence, but If you're buttering me up for my esp eclipses it's too late. I already gave them the Terminator 2 treatment

Geez, I am getting to like this 40th anniversary Eclipse. I agree that this disc was kind of rough for an ace race, but it wasn't terrible. And folks knew ahead of time what the disc was. And it's not like previous drivers:

2014: Heat
2013: Mantis

The eclipse ace race played more like the 2016 Archer one, and in fact, when thrown, I feel a lot of similarity between the archer and eclipse, and also the 2017 sting. All three are easy to throw, all three can give you nice turnovers, but yeah, an ace race isn't that conducive to seeing what a disc can really do, especially speed 4+
Still, I like this eclipse and I can replace two discs in my bag right now with it.

I'm not even American, but somehow feel compelled to thank you for your service. Cheers, Andy.

"Backpack"

I had not done an Ace Race before, and I told my friends "You need to pay the $30 - you will get two discs and a backpack!" Well, I watched the YouTube videos on the player packs before I got there, so I wasn't too surprised to see it was a drawstring bag, but I knew in the back of my mind that I was expecting a backpack. I just revisited the Ace Race page, and I saw this picture:

playerpack_large-01.webp

That's not a drawstring bag! It's a real backpack!

I'm not grumbling - I got a lot of value for my $30 and I would do it again if there was a Hawk race anywhere near central Alabama... but still, I wanted to get this off my chest.

I also got a mini Comet, and a Discraft mini marker. Not sure which one is the Snap Cap, but it was cool that we got both. Ok, /rant.

The bag is technically a drawstring backpack bag, saw many folks wearing it as a backpack bag during the event. Your expectations were a bit much for how far a $30 buy in goes, when you get two discs + extras. I would agree that is not the best image to use as it makes it appear as if it could stand upright on its own which is not the case.

Snapcap is the little mini marker. Snaps on to a beverage 12 oz can to keep it covered.

What made the eclipse special...other than being sentimental to an old favorite?

It would glide for days, to begin with. that 5 glide rating is deceptive, it seems. I was once throwing both an Eclipse and a River on each hole while playing a few rounds, just to see if the River would make a good replacement for the Eclipse. The Eclipse always carried farther, even when thrown on a lower line to where I would expect the River to easily outdistance the Eclipse.

The Eclipse is also easy to shape lines with. Whether playing a long fade, a long draw, or a straight shot, it's been reliable over the years. It makes for a good roller from the get-go, and is really easy to lay down when beat in.

Straight into a headwind can be a challenge, as expected. That's what I had the Typhoon for.

Your expectations were a bit much for how far a $30 buy in goes, when you get two discs + extras.

Oh, I don't mean to sound unappreciative - I think it was absolutely worth it, and I will do it again! I'm just poking fun at the image.

Thanks for the explanation on the Snap Cap - I didn't realize it would go on a beverage! I used it as a mini this weekend because I liked the blue logo on the orange plastic. Worked well for that too. :)

Snapcap is the little mini marker. Snaps on to a beverage 12 oz can to keep it covered.
Also fits on some 16oz cans.

Tends to pop off if the beverage is carbonated and is shaken too much. I tried to remedy the issue by drilling a small hole but that only emits a fine mist of said beverage all over your bag and yourself.

can anyone tell me how the hawk turned out? google has nothing. i used to really enjoy the d hawk back when i first started playing.

Thanks

I ran an ace race this last weekend but didn't play. I did throw one a couple times in the field and it was an interesting straight flier. Not very under stable like I expected.

They made a limited run of Z Hawks.
Glideless, pointless, useless...hopefully these will be better.

I ran an ace race this last weekend but didn't play. I did throw one a couple times in the field and it was an interesting straight flier. Not very under stable like I expected.

what kind of plastic were they?

can anyone tell me how the hawk turned out? google has nothing. i used to really enjoy the d hawk back when i first started playing.

Thanks

I played an ace race this past weekend. I thought the Hawk flew well. I never gave it a full power throw so keep that in mind. It had decent glide and at the end of the flight it hooked up rather quickly. It would hold the line you put it on. In the wind it turned over a bit but it didn't crash and burn.
I was able to click with it right away and I had success throwing it like a putter on a few of the shorter holes. I played a casual round right after the ace race and never thought about grabbing it out of the bag once. Didn't make my bag so I gave them to my 11 year old daughter and 9 year old son to use and they both got good flights out of them.

I ran and played an Ace Race this past weekend. I didn't like the new ESP Hawk at all. I hate tall discs, I hate domey discs, and I hate concave jaw discs, so I knew it wasn't going to work for me. The Hawk flew straight enough, but was extremely uncomfortable in the hand.

Colors provided were lame we got green, mint green, sky blue, and black.

Got to see a buddy of mine throw a 230' Ace with it. Was an unmodified hole, longest at this Ace Race, and had a $100 Ace payout. He's now a huge fan of the Hawk.

Latest posts