• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 United States Disc Golf Championship Oct 2-5

Personally I'd like to see the final day moved back to Sunday, like when I cashed there in 2003 :)

We changed our ticket philosophy this year. We eliminated almost all give aways. Some stakeholders received tickets as part of their contribution, but everyone paid in one way or another. (I do not know the breakdown by ticket type.)

We changed our ticket philosophy this year. We eliminated almost all give aways. Some stakeholders received tickets as part of their contribution, but everyone paid in one way or another. (I do not know the breakdown by ticket type.)

I think that's a good thing that more tournaments are focused on generating revenue.

Here are three areas that I would like feedback:

Thanks,

Harold

1) What are examples of good material to show on the live broadcast when there is a break in the action or just to add variety to the action?

Been asking for this stuff...for years around here:

ITB - In the tourament bag. What discs are they ACTUALLY using for this particular tournament?

Player profiles including: stats, earnings, how long playing, age, short bio, etc.

On some signature holes, show a history of the hole, how it's evolved, how it's played, etc.

Profile on the course itself, history, who runs it, who takes care of it, player opinions, etc.

Dynamic live interviews with non playing pros, spectators, media personalities, etc.

Thoughts on the tournament from older non playing pros.

Video of players warming up, putting, playing a few holes, etc, etc.

Interviews with past popular players who haven't won in a while, but are still there trying to recapture some glory.

Interviews with younger up and coming pros who are playing.

Local demographics, local scene, popular things to do while in town, etc.

Interviews with local clubs growing the sport in that area.

Get more video of the crowds, do a walk by "who you rooting for today?", etc, etc.

Get the past 3-5 winners and do a group interview with their thoughts, etc.

2) What is a reasonable price for pay-per-view?

5.00-9.95

2A) Does a commercial free presentation change the reasonable price for pay=per-view?

No, commercials are expected and sends a subliminal message that the event is "the real deal". But the commercials should be up to a certain level of broadcast standards as well.

2C) Are there any examples of disc golf commercials that have engaged you in a positive way or at least have not irritated you?

Easily...the best disc golf commercial I've ever seen. (Innova w Paul, Climo, etc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo_nDkgDN-M

3) How would watching in person or on-line change if the final day moved from Saturday to Sunday.

Nothing, but I would prefer it as late as possible if on a Sunday.

4) Is it unreasonable to prohibit some or all cell-phone use if the local cell tower(s) continue to be a technical bottle neck for high-quality filming to the live audience on-line?

Ofcourse. To be honest..for a paid event I would expect you to invest in a long term solution that provides a high quality live viewing experience with zero impact from local cellular service.

1) What are examples of good material to show on the live broadcast when there is a break in the action or just to add variety to the action?

Been asking for this stuff...for years around here:

ITB - In the tourament bag. What discs are they ACTUALLY using for this particular tournament?

Player profiles including: stats, earnings, how long playing, age, short bio, etc.

On some signature holes, show a history of the hole, how it's evolved, how it's played, etc.

Profile on the course itself, history, who runs it, who takes care of it, player opinions, etc.

Dynamic live interviews with non playing pros, spectators, media personalities, etc.

Thoughts on the tournament from older non playing pros.

Video of players warming up, putting, playing a few holes, etc, etc.

Interviews with past popular players who haven't won in a while, but are still there trying to recapture some glory.

Interviews with younger up and coming pros who are playing.

Local demographics, local scene, popular things to do while in town, etc.

Interviews with local clubs growing the sport in that area.

Get more video of the crowds, do a walk by "who you rooting for today?", etc, etc.

Get the past 3-5 winners and do a group interview with their thoughts, etc.

That ought to about cover it.

I was going to suggest a more generalized, "how we got here" content. I doubt many viewers have watched the entire broadcast. Clips of what the leaders did in earlier rounds (or earlier in this round), how they qualified, how their year went, etc., would bring viewers up to speed. How they did in previous USDGCs, and stories from particular holes about to be played, would add perspective.

Here are three areas that I would like feedback:

2) What is a reasonable price for pay-per-view?

2A) Does a commercial free presentation change the reasonable price for pay=per-view?

2C) Are there any examples of disc golf commercials that have engaged you in a positive way or at least have not irritated you?

3) How would watching in person or on-line change if the final day moved from Saturday to Sunday.

4) Is it unreasonable to prohibit some or all cell-phone use if the local cell tower(s) continue to be a technical bottle neck for high-quality filming to the live audience on-line?

Thanks,

Harold

I thought you would never ask... ;)

1. Good material to show. Usually player interviews and insight is most accepted and appreciated. Player Profiles. With the history that USDGC has, I think you could put together highlight shots of holes from previous years and spread them out thru the days of coverage.

2. A reasonable price. I think you guys nailed it with $10/$8. Not many events can get away with that much, but I think that the USDGC & Worlds can. I happily paid it.

2A. Commercials are not out of the question. But with a PPV model, they have to be limited. Probably only every 3rd or 4th hole. But, I fully expected to see them this year.

2C. (where is B?). Humorous commercials get the best response lately. Tyler Brickley has been putting out some fun ones for DGA & UDisc. Otherwise stick to pretty simple sales videos.

3. There are 2 ways to look at this question. If you go on Sunday, you compete with the NFL. BUT, you also might have a built in audience of people just sitting around anyway that can multitask. I heard a lot of people yesterday say that they had football on the TV and DG on the phone/tablet. I don't think there is a "right" answer here.

4. It is unrealistic to prohibit. BUT, ask all spectators to put their phone into airplane mode. They can still take photos and videos, just ask that they upload them at a later time. This is something I am trying to implement at DGPT events as well.

In General...
The cellular issue is something that we have run into since I introduced it at USDGC back in 2011 or so when I worked with DGPlanet. Rock Hill just doesn't have the capacity for a large group of condensed people. Many of our more remote courses don't. And it is honestly unreasonable to run enough cabling around any disc golf course at a disc golf budget. So, whether people like it or not, get used to the cell signal coverage. It won't be going anywhere.