• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 United States Women's Disc Golf Championships May 21-23

Questions about the FPO field for this tourney:

Was it capped at 62 participants, or would they have had room for additional players in that division?

And if it was capped at 62, were those spots first come first served, invite only, were there qualifying events or other criteria?

Not capped.

I'm glad i wasn't as well. I have short patience with bad decision making.
Lol. There was no money and the PDGA had to choose from whoever submitted a bid. If a place submitted a bid with courses over an hour apart, it was what it was. In '95 they had to go back to Port Arthur, TX (which had hosted '94 Worlds) because there were no bids to host. Such was life.

I mean, the other option was to cancel and not hold Worlds so...

I think it was that summer that they were doing the Port Arthur redo that I had to try to talk to the PDGA about something so I called the number and talked to the Administrator, Becky Powell, who was the only PDGA employee. She was new on the job. For the information I was asking about she needed to look at the records which she said were in boxes in her predecessors house and he wasn't being very cooperative about turning them over. So she didn't have them. The number I called was her house; there was no PDGA office. Later on I read something where she described her job as the one and only paid employee of the PDGA as a secretary's job, basically processing memberships. I was told she was a huge improvement over the person she replaced.

That's what disc golf was for a long time. There was a facade of a professional sport, but not much else. Steve Dodge is gone so people don't talk openly about how much money the DGPT is losing anymore, but for all I know it might still be a facade.

Last edited:
The difficulty is that courses in multi use city parks do not mesh well with the direction DGPT is trying to go. You need a space that you can completely shut down for a week for practice rounds, film crews, and event setup. They're wanting to charge admission for spectators too...all that adds up to needing a location that can 100% be dedicated to disc golf.

I can't speak for what the PDGA requires. It sounds like players are used to the amenities DGPT is striving for and anything else feels like a let down. As mentioned previously, that's a big difference when you're dealing with non profit volunteer efforts and a for profit organization. Not debating on which route is better, just that they're going to be different.

I'm not convinced that the PDGA should be striving to make majors more like DGPT events. No slight to the DGPT, but majors should be harder, more revered and a different test than the season schedule of top events.

It's a good thing you weren't around 25 years ago... You would have been yelling at all sorts of clouds during Worlds week...

This is likely the main complaint, why set things back 25 years when the game has moved forward in a better direction, at least according to the players standards.

I have no problem with players voicing legitimate issues as long as they can back up their words.

Best time i ever had at a tourney was at BG Ams. Played 4 different courses in 3 days and never got to practice any of them.

Best time i ever had at a tourney was at BG Ams. Played 4 different courses in 3 days and never got to practice any of them.

1999 Worlds, they played 4 different courses, 2 rounds a day. Back then we were more interested in playing the course right behind the players in the final 9 than we were in actually watching them play, lol.

I'm personally a fan of one per day rounds

2000 we played 6 courses in Michigan.
...and three of them were 24-holes. Pro Worlds 2011 in the Monterrey area near current site of USWDGC. Four different 27-hole courses, each played once in prelim rounds.

The distance between courses for 2010 Am Worlds was almost half of Ohio.

Not quite half, but still a bit of a drive

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 173
Yes, that was a challenge doing the scheduling for that event. However, it was mainly a handful of staffers who were directly impacted driving from the northern to southern courses each day. We were able to schedule players playing two rounds a day on either northern or southern courses minimizing driving.

Did anyone else see Heimburg in the background on the tee of hole #1 when the lead card went off?

And Hailey is...

[

Can't help but notice: Ella Hansen making some moves.

Last edited:

Latest posts